talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gaming - General Chat

football forum

2 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I'm not as old as @Bluewolf but do vaguely remember games being on tape for some systems. If memory serves right, I think the Spectrum used tapes for games and I did have a Commodore 64 back in the day.

I remember my dad’s Spectrum - but I don’t remember the tapes. Must be my memory fading me.

7 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I'm not as old as @Bluewolf but do vaguely remember games being on tape for some systems. If memory serves right, I think the Spectrum used tapes for games and I did have a Commodore 64 back in the day.

I still had Commodore 64 tapes as well. My parents never wanted to spend much money on that kind of stuff, so I was a bit behind when it came to gaming technology, as we usually bought old stuff from relatives who got newer stuff. I remember the tape loading screen that could give you a seizure if you looked at it too long. xD

The only game I had on tape that I can remember is Western Games. 

300px-WesternGamesTitel.png

And then plenty of other games floppy disk. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

I had a tape game player called an Acorn.

05902AFF-B9F1-49CC-9D9B-31101ACEBC66.jpeg

This looks very close to what Theranos showed its investors. 

Back on topic, I remember tapes because my dad had some at work but I don't remember seeing any games associated with them.

21 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What the fuck?! Games on tape?!

9 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I remember my dad’s Spectrum - but I don’t remember the tapes. Must be my memory fading me.

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

I still had Commodore 64 tapes as well. My parents never wanted to spend much money on that kind of stuff, so I was a bit behind when it came to gaming technology, as we usually bought old stuff from relatives who got newer stuff. I remember the tape loading screen that could give you a seizure if you looked at it too long. xD

The only game I had on tape that I can remember is Western Games. 

300px-WesternGamesTitel.png

And then plenty of other games floppy disk. 

13 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

This looks very close to what Theranos showed its investors. 

Back on topic, I remember tapes because my dad had some at work but I don't remember seeing any games associated with them.

This is how it used to load up... line by line until the game screen was full then it would play the game... B|

Codemasters used to knock these out at about £1.99 per cassette... they went from tapes to floppies when the Amiga & Atari ST were knocking about... 

• Upvote 3

Okay I do remember the way it used to load up like that as it loaded the game.

I've got a Spectrum emulator on my PC now because the last time I was home my dad was so excited they existed and showed me the games he used to play and that I used to watch my brother play (and I probably also used to play, but I don't remember playing until we had a Super Nintendo... so maybe my brother was just a dick).

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

This is how it used to load up... line by line until the game screen was full then it would play the game... B|

Codemasters used to knock these out at about £1.99 per cassette... they went from tapes to floppies when the Amiga & Atari ST were knocking about... 

Two things here.

1. I forgot about the mini seizures they tried to give you when loading the game up.

2. I jumped half a mile when the loading sound first came on. Must never have the volume high again.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Did anyone ever end up ordering a steam deck? Supposed to be shipping starting end of this month. I did end up ordering the middle option, pretty stoked with everything Ive seen so far anyways. 

I haven't as I want to see how it goes first. Sounds promising in fairness, though don't be surprised if the release date is pushed back again.

• Upvote 1

On 27/01/2022 at 20:31, Bluewolf said:

Jesus Christ. That load up process is visually and audibly atrocious. I'm glad those days are over. xD

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I haven't as I want to see how it goes first. Sounds promising in fairness, though don't be surprised if the release date is pushed back again.

Yeah well see what happens I wouldnt be surprised either but I know from the original release they claimed they where very conservative and it still couldnt happen, they also mention "start" the roleout at the end of Feb so yeah I wouldnt expect to get it until March at the earliest either way. 

21 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Haven't seen all the announcements from the Nintendo Direct, but the ones I quickly saw were Mario Kart 8 getting 48 tracks as DLC, Advance Wars Re-Boot Camp is out on 8th April and Metroid Dread is adding a one hit kill mode.

Part on bold will cost £22.49 in the UK and will spread out until the end of 2023. If they make the tracks like they did for those in the original DLC/Deluxe edition, that'll be very good value for money.

Advance Wars Re-Boot Camp will have voice acting (meh), online play (good) and some extra tweaks to the gameplay as well. Unsure on the graphical direction but meh, just seeing Advance Wars again makes me happy.

New Mario Strikers as well. Never played the Gamecube one but heard it was pretty good. Might keep an eye out for that.

• Subscriber

Just had a shower thought the other day. The God of War series really evolved into something huh. Ive played all of them (i think?) starting out from the original as just a fun hack and slash 10 hours ish of gameplay.. kinda slightly improving but not changing too much with every iteration for quite a few. Kind of a cool story in the background and orgin story of how Kratos came to be but it didnt really matter too much. To where it is now? The last game was an absolute masterpiece of a game, arguably one of the best couple games for playstation ever. That is all.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

https://in.ign.com/elden-ring/170669/review/elden-ring-review

Lots of reviewers are giving this game a 10/10 even though in the past they've shirked away from dropping these kinds of scores on games like NiOh which imo topped even Sekiro in raw gameplay. Still, it is quite the masterpiece from FromSoftware. 

I've heard a lot of good things about Elden Ring in general (including numerous 10/10's), so would be willing to give IGN a pass this time.

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I've heard a lot of good things about Elden Ring in general (including numerous 10/10's), so would be willing to give IGN a pass this time.

I never really take IGN seriously but yeah others are also giving it high praise which imo is a bit unusual for a game from FromSoftware.

• 3 weeks later...