talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Winning the Premier League or Winning the Champions League?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
21 hours ago, True Blue said:

League first then UCL

This.

Winning the Champions League without being English champions in the first place means you must have benefited from the lottery of knockout football to win the European Cup because you were never even the best team in your country.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

This.

Winning the Champions League without being English champions in the first place means you must have benefited from the lottery of knockout football to win the European Cup because you were never even the best team in your country.

All depends on how you define the best. Is the team who can consistently grind out wins over the likes of West Brom and Swansea really better than the team who can beat the cream of the European crop over two legs? Not for me.

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

All depends on how you define the best. Is the team who can consistently grind out wins over the likes of West Brom and Swansea really better than the team who can beat the cream of the European crop over two legs? Not for me.

You can't fluke either achievement but for me claiming to be champions of Europe without being champions of your own country isn't quite right. It lacks a certain sense of legitimacy. I'd probably agree with you if we called them the "Winners of the European Cup" rather than "European Champions" which goes to show that my opinion is hardly that strong but I maintain that a bit of luck and a nice draw can get you close to the line in the CL or any cup competition whereas the league it has much less impact.

8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

You can't fluke either achievement but for me claiming to be champions of Europe without being champions of your own country isn't quite right. It lacks a certain sense of legitimacy. I'd probably agree with you if we called them the "Winners of the European Cup" rather than "European Champions" which goes to show that my opinion is hardly that strong but I maintain that a bit of luck and a nice draw can get you close to the line in the CL or any cup competition whereas the league it has much less impact.

The league format definitely dilutes the impact of luck, but the quality in the Premier League is so much less that it still doesn't take anywhere near as good a team to win it. People are saying Chelsea ruined the Champions League when they won it with a poor team, but what about Leicester winning the Premier League? Yes, it was a great story and a fun journey to watch even as a neutral, but come on.

I completely agree that calling yourselves the Champions of Europe when you're not the champions of your own country is questionable, but so is claiming to be the champions of England when another English team won the top prize in Europe.

8 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

The league format definitely dilutes the impact of luck, but the quality in the Premier League is so much less that it still doesn't take anywhere near as good a team to win it. People are saying Chelsea ruined the Champions League when they won it with a poor team, but what about Leicester winning the Premier League? Yes, it was a great story and a fun journey to watch even as a neutral, but come on.

I completely agree that calling yourselves the Champions of Europe when you're not the champions of your own country is questionable, but so is claiming to be the champions of England when another English team won the top prize in Europe.

No it isn't, one is ultimately a cup competition. Prestigous and glamorous but you can win a cup through form, look at the dross who've won it down the years, Liverpool's 2005 were an abysmal side, it was a great story but shows that the cup is ultimately anyone's game:

2 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

No it isn't, one is ultimately a cup competition. Prestigous and glamorous but you can win a cup through form, look at the dross who've won it down the years, Liverpool's 2005 were an abysmal side, it was a great story but shows that the cup is ultimately anyone's game:

How can you? Ties are played weeks or even months apart September-June

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Yeah fair enough, easy to see both sides.

On 9/10/2017 at 8:44 PM, SirBalon said:

For fans that have never seen their side win the league, then I completely understand that the league title is the what they want first and foremost.  But legendary clubs (in Europe at least) are made from winning the European Cup (Champions League) and that is the ultimate at club level in this continent.

What I want most for Arsenal is that Champions league.  That would be a dream come true but I doubt I'll ever see it.

Well you were lucky to see Arsenal win the Makita Trophy back in the day! 

Archived