talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Crystal Palace Sack Frank De Boer; Hodgson Appointed

Well, he's not been sacked yet, but given as it seems rather imminent I thought I'd set this thread up in preparation.

I haven't had a good feeling about this move since his brother Ronald talked about Frank's qualities and made him come across like a disaster waiting to happen. The transfer policy, which I'm led to believe he did have an input in, has actually been quite good. I like that we're giving Loftus-Cheek and Fosu Mensah opportunities in an age where ridiculously talented young players are never receiving opportunities. Whilst Riedewalds debut was an absolute car crash he's highly rated by the majority.

What I've felt sorry for him is how poorly he has been backed in the transfer market. If you want to revert the whole playing style of the team you can't go from Bolton to Barcelona without spending serious money. I'm sure Frank would have been aware that Allardyce spent almost the entire summer budget to save his reputation, but even so, why employ somebody to carry out such a drastic change in such a competitive league when he's got to work with the likes of Martin kelly? In fact I'm surprised he didn't resign when the board spent 26 million on a player he didn't want when we need a Goalkeeper, a right wing back, a another striker.

However the board will cover themselves and say he lost the dressing room. It's amazing how the reign of terror from Alan Pardew still affects us. I don't know what he did but we went from having one of the best team spirits in the country to a bunch of players that seemingly get upset over the smallest of things.

With the fixtures he has coming up I think Frank's screwed, and what's the alternative? Dougie Freedman. That little rat who left 'doesn't leave a job half done' but went to Bolton because he 'needs to put food on the table for his children'. The same rat who has taken advantage of Parish's obsession with club legends to worm his way back in to the club. God I hope he fails. That's me done for the time being if he's employed on an interim basis. Once a snake always a snake in his business.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a club who've openly talked about developing a style, they're exceptionally quick at sacking a manager at the first sign of trouble. How do you expect to build anything if you're looking for your eighth permanent manager in five years?

Yes, I know Football is a results based business but the Premier League season is five or so games old, I'm not sure you can justify sacking a manager, especially one that only joined the club in June/July. 

I can see de Boer going at some point before the end of the season but I don't think his job should be under threat in September. 

This falls into the category of self-inflicted and I am talking of the Palace decision to appointment de Boer.

There was enough evidence to work out with ease his managerial success was Flowery because of the league and club he held. We got a HUGE clue by the number of days he lasted at Inter that not all was as Rosie about him than first thought.

Yes, crap window for Palace and he should have got more help, however, if he is to make it in football management, this is pretty much the club to prove yourself cause Palace are a dire club who have survived with two of the most experienced managers holding their hand through troubled recent times by the skin of their Teeth.

Palace dont have a keeper or one decent footballing defender at the club, so to spring a bringing it out from the back formation on the flat nosed no nonsense n little footballing skill bunch of defenders, up to now, hasnt been the brightest move. Maybe Sakho will help?

12 minutes ago, Danny said:

This is premature even for Palace's standards?

12 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

For a club who've openly talked about developing a style, they're exceptionally quick at sacking a manager at the first sign of trouble. How do you expect to build anything if you're looking for your eighth permanent manager in five years?

Yes, I know Football is a results based business but the Premier League season is five or so games old, I'm not sure you can justify sacking a manager, especially one that only joined the club in June/July. 

I can see de Boer going at some point before the end of the season but I don't think his job should be under threat in September. 

Let's go through our Managers shall we...

Freedman - resigned

Holloway - resigned

Pulis - resigned 

Warnock - sacked 

Pardew - sacked

Allardyce - resigned

So of the six Managers we have had in the last five years there has only been two sackings. One of those sackings was to replace somebody who was bought in because there was no adequate candidates available, and the other sacking was very long overdue. Which knocks those criticisms above out of the park.

Id go as far as saying this is the first premature sacking we're about to make.

4 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

The new manager can come in and start with Man City away, Man Utd away and then Chelsea at home.

When the fixture list came out I had a feeling the writing was on the wall. Not an easy first eight games at all. By the time the fixture list brightens up it would have been a very tall order to keep the players on side.

Three games in. This would be very very fucking premature. Let him work for a little bit, he's not a clown manager that doesn't deserve the job, he's proved with Ajax that he has some ability. I'd give him 4 games at the least.

Fair play to them wanting to try something new instead of same old crap they had down there. 

If it isn't working better to get rid early. 

I think he would have been our manager had we not prised Koeman away. 

1 hour ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Let's go through our Managers shall we...

Freedman - resigned

Holloway - resigned

Pulis - resigned 

Warnock - sacked 

Pardew - sacked

Allardyce - resigned

So of the six Managers we have had in the last five years there has only been two sackings. One of those sackings was to replace somebody who was bought in because there was no adequate candidates available, and the other sacking was very long overdue. Which knocks those criticisms above out of the park.

Id go as far as saying this is the first premature sacking we're about to make.

The point remains no matter how people have departed - for a club that have frequently mentioned long term appointments and developing a style, seven managers in five years isn't great and sacking de Boer know, after five or six games, goes against what the club has frequently mentioned about developing the club over an extended period. 

1 hour ago, FOYM said:

Three games in. This would be very very fucking premature. Let him work for a little bit, he's not a clown manager that doesn't deserve the job, he's proved with Ajax that he has some ability. I'd give him 4 games at the least.

We have Burnley away who are always very well organized at Turf Moor, Southampton at home who seem to be reacting well to Pellegrino, and the big luxury of United, City and Chelsea. I think if it's now, Sunday or in four games time the writings on the wall if he's lost the dressing room already.

1 hour ago, HK85 said:

Fair play to them wanting to try something new instead of same old crap they had down there. 

If it isn't working better to get rid early. 

I think he would have been our manager had we not prised Koeman away. 

My feeling of it is there was nothing wrong with our previous style. We've beaten all the top teams by doing it, it's not the worst style in the league, and it got us to an FA Cup final. If pacey wingers, old fashioned spirited leaders in defence and midfield along with an intelligent hard working forward works and creates those memories then so be it.

It amazes me that De Boer has been linked with jobs at clubs like Barcelona, Liverpool and Everton previously. Shows how's important playing reputation can be.

25 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

The point remains no matter how people have departed - for a club that have frequently mentioned long term appointments and developing a style, seven managers in five years isn't great and sacking de Boer know, after five or six games, goes against what the club has frequently mentioned about developing the club over an extended period. 

I don't think the club can be criticized for the way Freedman and Pulis conducted themselves. Holloways resignation was the noble thing to do and Pardews sacking was long overdue.

I see your point but I think that only stands for two appointments. The appointments of Allardyce and Warnock were more out of desperation more than anything.  The way the club conducts itself in the next two months will be most telling. Parish has somewhat become a bit of a media whore and the crap about developing a style he comes out with every summer is only beginning to bite him.

It was never going to work with Frank de Boer not with the people who he is working with and playing staff.  He worked wonders with Bergkamp, Hennie Spijkerman and Overmars above them at Ajax it was a fantastic combination which seemed to work very well for a number of years.   This was Ajax though a club and style he is familiar with, they had the players to do what he wants to do and adjust to anything he wanted to do as some Dutch players are versatile compared to English and Italian.  De Boer anyway fell out with Bergkamp and teamed up with Orlando Trustful who he appointed to be the new assistant at Ajax which really started to become the end of his reign.    

He jumped far to quick into Inter Milan as it was  struggling team and again he tried to change the playing style, his reputation took a battering there which it is doing now because of the same reasons at Crystal Palace, but De Boer on his own is not the answer he needs to be with the same coaching team at Ajax where he made his name because of a team effort not just down to him. 

That is why I wanted to see De Boer at Arsenal, his playing style with the combination of Bergkamp and Overmars, sadly this is never going to happen again. 

38 minutes ago, VanPanna said:

It was never going to work with Frank de Boer not with the people who he is working with and playing staff.  He worked wonders with Bergkamp, Hennie Spijkerman and Overmars above them at Ajax it was a fantastic combination which seemed to work very well for a number of years.   This was Ajax though a club and style he is familiar with, they had the players to do what he wants to do and adjust to anything he wanted to do as some Dutch players are versatile compared to English and Italian.  De Boer anyway fell out with Bergkamp and teamed up with Orlando Trustful who he appointed to be the new assistant at Ajax which really started to become the end of his reign.    

He jumped far to quick into Inter Milan as it was  struggling team and again he tried to change the playing style, his reputation took a battering there which it is doing now because of the same reasons at Crystal Palace, but De Boer on his own is not the answer he needs to be with the same coaching team at Ajax where he made his name because of a team effort not just down to him. 

That is why I wanted to see De Boer at Arsenal, his playing style with the combination of Bergkamp and Overmars, sadly this is never going to happen again. 

We both said this when he was employed.  His good work came from everything that surrounded him at Ajax including his own input.

Peter Bosz is another matter...  He has top talent!

25 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

We both said this when he was employed.  His good work came from everything that surrounded him at Ajax including his own input.

Peter Bosz is another matter...  He has top talent!

Yea Peter Bosz is superb, will be a real top coach over the coming years. 

So it looks like Frank DeBoer lost but has bizarrely saved his job. 

I had to leave my house when I saw Alan Pardew on the pundit team at half time. We're still suffering because he signed so much shit like Chung-Yong Lee and tainted a fantastic team spirit over time. He has no right to pass judgement and be smug over our performances. It's a cringeworthy as Simon Jordan coming across like a male Kate Hopkins whenever he talks about Crystal Palace.

The performance was good. A confident Benteke would have scored his one on one, and Dann would have scored that header nine times out of ten. I doubt many teams would have left players on the line to block two of Scott Danns chances either.

I feel optimistic about next week. A good result there and it's a different outlook going in to the horrid run in. 

3 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

So it looks like Frank DeBoer lost but has bizarrely saved his job. 

I had to leave my house when I saw Alan Pardew on the pundit team at half time. We're still suffering because he signed so much shit like Chung-Yong Lee and tainted a fantastic team spirit over time. He has no right to pass judgement and be smug over our performances. It's a cringeworthy as Simon Jordan coming across like a male Kate Hopkins whenever he talks about Crystal Palace.

The performance was good. A confident Benteke would have scored his one on one, and Dann would have scored that header nine times out of ten. I doubt many teams would have left players on the line to block two of Scott Danns chances either.

I feel optimistic about next week. A good result there and it's a different outlook going in to the horrid run in. 

You miss a real creative player,  Zaha needs to comes back,  still these are not de Boer's players, a lot of them he would never really work with if he had the funds to buy players, he has hardly changed anything de Boer apart from change the playing style which I don't think it will work with these players and a slow big lump upfront like Benteke.  

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

1 month for De Boer then you go back in time to get Hodgson in xD 

Crazy.

Unfortunately they must have dinosaurs running these clubs, to sack a manager over 4 games, who is trying to play a modern brand of football is just totally Crazy,  de Boer has not been backed at all in the transfer market, he only really has got 2 of his own players he wanted Mensah and Riedewald who again are players for the future.   Crystal Palace will go back now to pumping long balls up to Benteke.  

Completely a clueless club stuck in an era that doesn't really exist in the modern way, the players are at fault also who are not versatile and were unhappy at the changes,  de Boer will has his reputation shot to pieces again like at Inter when really it is the club at fault.

• The title was changed to Crystal Palace Sack Frank De Boer; Hodgson Appointed

Archived