talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Crystal Palace Sack Frank De Boer; Hodgson Appointed

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, VanPanna said:

Unfortunately they must have dinosaurs running these clubs, to sack a manager over 4 games, who is trying to play a modern brand of football is just totally Crazy,  de Boer has not been backed at all in the transfer market, he only really has got 2 of his own players he wanted Mensah and Riedewald who again are players for the future.   Crystal Palace will go back now to pumping long balls up to Benteke.  

Completely a clueless club stuck in an era that doesn't really exist in the modern way, the players are at fault also who are not versatile and were unhappy at the changes,  de Boer will has his reputation shot to pieces again like at Inter when really it is the club at fault.

2 minutes ago, 6666 said:

They tried being fancy, got scared, and now are going extremely simple.

gotta give him more time than half a summer and 4 games though. Rome wasn't built in a day! Of course it's a shit start to have no points and no goals in 4 games. But it's not like they're getting relegated from these games or in the next few games. Still had plenty of time to change it round.

I don't think De Boer will suffer too much reputation-wise. With only 4 games to be given a chance, there'll still be some sympathy for him. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Stan said:

gotta give him more time than half a summer and 4 games though. Rome wasn't built in a day! Of course it's a shit start to have no points and no goals in 4 games. But it's not like they're getting relegated from these games or in the next few games. Still had plenty of time to change it round.

I don't think De Boer will suffer too much reputation-wise. With only 4 games to be given a chance, there'll still be some sympathy for him. 

He will suffer because of the Inter Milan job as well, its made him look like a bit of a laughing stock.  Really he has rushed into 2 jobs that really needed to have a complete building job to play that kind of brand of football he wants.  

Utterly embarrassing from the Palace board here. I'd be asking serious questions of the board if I were a Palace fan.

Did they not undertake any due diligence  on De Boer before handing him a three-year deal? Surely anyone with an ounce of Footballing knowledge knew that De Boer has a favoured style of Football, which he was schooled in at Ajax as a player before working with that style as their manager. He then took the Internazionale job and tried, but failed, to transfer that style of Football to them. Surely during some stage of the interview process, the style of Football that De Boer favoured would have been discussed and as good as a Total Football based tactic may sound, surely the people at Palace would have realised that without heavy investment in the playing squad, this wouldn't translate well and people like Martin Kelly and James Tomkins playing out from the back would be a disaster waiting to happen?

Also, the lack of time they've given him is embarrassing. Ten weeks? For a club who bangs on about trying to build something at Palace, sacking a bloke after four games seems premature and a bit knee-jerk.

Don't get me wrong, De Boer's inability to adapt to his surroundings at both Internazionale and now Palace is frankly embarrassing for a man of his talents but I can't help but think he was the wrong man for the job from the off and Palace have made themselves look silly. 

Maybe Palace's board have seen the error of their ways but still, appointing him was a disaster and their poor decision has already left Palace playing catch up. 

10 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Utterly embarrassing from the Palace board here. I'd be asking serious questions of the board if I were a Palace fan.

Did they not undertake any due diligence  on De Boer before handing him a three-year deal? Surely anyone with an ounce of Footballing knowledge knew that De Boer has a favoured style of Football, which he was schooled in at Ajax as a player before working with that style as their manager. He then took the Internazionale job and tried, but failed, to transfer that style of Football to them. Surely during some stage of the interview process, the style of Football that De Boer favoured would have been discussed and as good as a Total Football based tactic may sound, surely the people at Palace would have realised that without heavy investment in the playing squad, this wouldn't translate well and people like Martin Kelly and James Tomkins playing out from the back would be a disaster waiting to happen?

Also, the lack of time they've given him is embarrassing. Ten weeks? For a club who bangs on about trying to build something at Palace, sacking a bloke after four games seems premature and a bit knee-jerk.

Don't get me wrong, De Boer's inability to adapt to his surroundings at both Internazionale and now Palace is frankly embarrassing for a man of his talents but I can't help but think he was the wrong man for the job from the off and Palace have made themselves look silly. 

Thats the thing   the players Crystal Palace have, do not fit De Boers style at all apart from maybe Zaha,    the  chairman of Palace has probably has ex footballs like Mark Bright advising him and he is probably stuck in that old school style to pump the ball up to the big guy upfront Benteke,  that is what you will see now when Hodgson gets the job.   De Boer has been very harshly dealt with as he hasnt been backed at all, he needed a full clear out and bring in more technical players but he probably wanted half a season to see who he wanted to keep and if they are good enough for his style, giving players a chance before making huge playing staff changes.  The team as a whole are just stuck in a 1 dimensional vision of a style, that is why Big Sam done well there.    

De Boer does have his self to blame also to take on the job but was promised so much otherwise he wouldnt of taken the job after what happened at Inter Milan.   

Extremely harsh when you weigh everything up.

- He hasn't lost the dressing room.

- He's shown a willingness to adapt.

- He hasn't been given sufficient backing in the transfer market.

- He hasn't been given sufficient time to employ his methods and ideas.

A win against Southampton and, providing he doesn't lose the dressing room, you'd fancy him to turn it round when our fixtures look more rosey in October.

---

On a side note those laughing at the Roy Hodgson I think it will be the same as the Sam Allardyce appointment. He will look at our strengths, he will play to these strengths, he will make us prepared with a long term tactic in mind, and I'm confident we will stay up. However what I'm also confident of happening is he will turn round and leave at the end of the season once his reputation is 'restored' and we will be back to square one. I guess it's open to interpretation if that is defined as a success.

What we really, really need to do is look at trying to prize a Dyche or a Howe long term. Somebody who will stay with a long term objective and play to our strengths. There's nothing wrong with our strengths, it's given us fantastic memories, and we need to stop being embarrassed of it.

1 hour ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Parish looks a right moron after his tweets last night.

The English Dr Tony Xia.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was betting fraud going on there. 

He's becoming another Simon Jordan and really needs to reign it in. He also, as Smiley has referred to, needs to stop talking about long term strategies in modern day football. It's very difficult for anybody in our position with the financial awards available to think about.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

A win against Southampton and, providing he doesn't lose the dressing room, you'd fancy him to turn it round when our fixtures look more rosey in October.

---

On a side note those laughing at the Roy Hodgson I think it will be the same as the Sam Allardyce appointment. He will look at our strengths, he will play to this end strengths, he will make us prepared with a long term tactic in mind, and I'm confident we will stay up. However what I'm also confident of happening is he will turn round at the end of the season once his reputation is 'restored' and we will be back to square one. I guess it's open to interopretation if that is defined as a success.

What we really, really need to do is look at trying to prize a Dyche or a Howe long term. Somebody who will stay with a long term objective and play to our strengths. There's nothing wrong with our strengths, it's given us fantastic memories, and we need to stop being embarrassed of it.

how long has Hodgson been given?

53 minutes ago, VanPanna said:

Unfortunately they must have dinosaurs running these clubs, to sack a manager over 4 games, who is trying to play a modern brand of football is just totally Crazy,  de Boer has not been backed at all in the transfer market, he only really has got 2 of his own players he wanted Mensah and Riedewald who again are players for the future.   Crystal Palace will go back now to pumping long balls up to Benteke.  

Completely a clueless club stuck in an era that doesn't really exist in the modern way, the players are at fault also who are not versatile and were unhappy at the changes,  de Boer will has his reputation shot to pieces again like at Inter when really it is the club at fault.

27 minutes ago, VanPanna said:

Thats the thing   the players Crystal Palace have, do not fit De Boers style a

t all apart from maybe Zaha,    the  chairman of Palace has probably has ex footballs like Mark Bright advising him and he is probably stuck in that old school style to pump the ball up to the big guy upfront Benteke,  that is what you will see now when Hodgson gets the job.   De Boer has been very harshly dealt with as he hasnt been backed at all, he needed a full clear out and bring in more technical players but he probably wanted half a season to see who he wanted to keep and if they are good enough for his style, giving players a chance before making huge playing staff changes.  The team as a whole are just stuck in a 1 dimensional vision of a style, that is why Big Sam done well there.    

De Boer does have his self to blame also to take on the job but was promised so much otherwise he wouldnt of taken the job after what happened at Inter Milan.   

Both of these statements Van Panna are rather insulting to us as a club, as well being rather thick statements to make. You're making bold statements about a club that it appears you know very little about.

You talk about us 'pumping long balls',  'a 1 dimensional vision of style', I would like to see evidence of where we routinely do this. You have literally just made that comment because you've seen who our leading forward is. Yes, we often don't have much possession and play with a deep defensive line  but to say we play the way your implying routinely suggests we never utilise the skill of players like Wilfried Zaha, Andros Townsend and Jason Puncheon which we routinely do. We've been good over the years of playing with a counter attackive mentality against top teams and then adapting to an approach depending against the opposition when we play those seventh or below. Hardly the style your refering to now, is it? Needless to say you're comment about players not being 'open to change' is based on little to no evidence at all. Whilst tactically we looked all over the place at Huddersfield I saw eleven players playing for their Manager yesterday. A match i'm presuming you didn't watch.

Also being 'a clueless club stuck in an era that doesn't really exist in the modern way', what are you on about? Seeing where we've been 'six years before' and 'six years after' The Parish Era doesn't reek of a clueless club, and given this is his first big call that's gone wrong hardly speaks of clueless now does it? Yes, he's made a mistake, and @6666 has summed up the scenario quite brutally well, but it doesn't make everything about us suddenly clueless given how many clubs have fallen since we've been in The Premier League. As for the second part: 'being stuck in an era that doesn't really exist in the modern way', once again, what are you on about? How much Premier League football have you watched this season? The way it's all going, defending floating crosses is an afterthought in match preparation, and as Huddersfield found against us twice in the first thirty minutes, if you capitalise on that it should come with reward. Goals from set pieces and floating crosses may dwindle in and out of fashion but it certainly won't disappear from English Football. You see sides like Bournemouth trying to change from being an effective tradional English side and they're falling flat on their face. 

You also talk about Frank De Boer being 'promised so much', well from what i've heard at the club he was made aware before the appointment that there wasn't going to be money to spend because a large chunk of the summer budget was spent to making effective signings in January to keep us up. I also take no pride in the obvious but Fosu Mensah is about as 'long term' going forwards as Reuben Loftus Cheek is as they're both loan deals. As for it being 'the clubs fault again' whilst I think the sacking is harsh, the fact this is his second premature sacking in quite  a short time and there's obviously quite a lot of conversations that happen behind closed doors that we're not being privy too, I think it's fair to accept that there's probably more than meets than eye for lighting to strike twice on the same person.

35 minutes ago, Stan said:

how long has Hodgson been given?

He hasn't been confirmed as Manager yet. I don't know how long the length of the contract will be but I imagine it will all be irrelevant anyway as I can't see him wanting to stay longer than a season.

Being a local lad, this is the job I expect he wants to 'restore' his reputation at and bow out on a Managerial 'high'.

If he is successful (i'd class that as being outside the bottom five after the start we've had) then I wouldn't be against the idea of us sacking that rat Freedman off and him working in a technical role to help develop the club, but that's extremely optimistic and wishful thinking at this stage. Lets focus on scoring a goal first.

29 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Both of these statements Van Panna are rather insulting to us as a club, as well being rather thick statements to make. You're making bold statements about a club that it appears you know very little about.

You talk about us 'pumping long balls',  'a 1 dimensional vision of style', I would like to see evidence of where we routinely do this. You have literally just made that comment because you've seen who our leading forward is. Yes, we often don't have much possession and play with a deep defensive line  but to say we play the way your implying routinely suggests we never utilise the skill of players like Wilfried Zaha, Andros Townsend and Jason Puncheon which we routinely do. We've been good over the years of playing with a counter attackive mentality against top teams and then adapting to an approach depending against the opposition when we play those seventh or below. Hardly the style your refering to now, is it? Needless to say you're comment about players not being 'open to change' is based on little to no evidence at all. Whilst tactically we looked all over the place at Huddersfield I saw eleven players playing for their Manager yesterday. A match i'm presuming you didn't watch.

Also being 'a clueless club stuck in an era that doesn't really exist in the modern way', what are you on about? Seeing where we've been 'six years before' and 'six years after' The Parish Era doesn't reek of a clueless club, and given this is his first big call that's gone wrong hardly speaks of clueless now does it? Yes, he's made a mistake, and @6666 has summed up the scenario quite brutally well, but it doesn't make everything about us suddenly clueless given how many clubs have fallen since we've been in The Premier League. As for the second part: 'being stuck in an era that doesn't really exist in the modern way', once again, what are you on about? How much Premier League football have you watched this season? The way it's all going, defending floating crosses is an afterthought in match preparation, and as Huddersfield found against us twice in the first thirty minutes, if you capitalise on that it should come with reward. Goals from set pieces and floating crosses may dwindle in and out of fashion but it certainly won't disappear from English Football. You see sides like Bournemouth trying to change from being an effective tradional English side and they're falling flat on their face. 

You also talk about Frank De Boer being 'promised so much', well from what i've heard at the club he was made aware before the appointment that there wasn't going to be money to spend because a large chunk of the summer budget was spent to making effective signings in January to keep us up. I also take no pride in the obvious but Fosu Mensah is about as 'long term' going forwards as Reuben Loftus Cheek is as they're both loan deals. As for it being 'the clubs fault again' whilst I think the sacking is harsh, the fact this is his second premature sacking in quite  a short time and there's obviously quite a lot of conversations that happen behind closed doors that we're not being privy too, I think it's fair to accept that there's probably more than meets than eye for lighting to strike twice on the same person.

The fact going for a Dinosaur like Hodgson is that is exactly what he will do,   its going back in time,  as Big Sam said his tactics are to get the ball to the striker as quickly as possible, which involves using wingers or playing balls in the box hoping Benteke will win the headers. Its not meant to be hurtful or disrespectful its just seems a very comfortable place to be with some clubs and owners instead of going down a new road like with Frank de Boer.    

De Boer would of had to have some reassurances because of the last job at Inter Milan, otherwise again he must be very ill informed, even tough he has one of the most experienced agents Guido Albers.   Again no one will really know what happened but its just very strange that only 2 players were bought and some players brought in on loan its like the club didn't really have the full trust in De Boer at the start for him to make major changes, or he didn't want to touch anything, who knows.    It just seems the owners got scared and want to go back to more of a traditional way and that is what the players maybe wanted also. 

• Subscriber

Most people on here (football fans, not people paid to make big money decisions in the game) could see that this had potential to start very badly. They've bottled it really. They've gone for a change in style, haven't really backed him to get enough players in to make it work, and wonder why it's gone completely tits up.

That's how I'm seeing it anyway. Maybe he is just a disaster for the club, but I'd be aiming more questions at their board than De Boer personally.

And Roy Hodgson xD Jesus Christ. Absolutely bottled it.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Aaroncpfc said:

---

On a side note those laughing at the Roy Hodgson I think it will be the same as the Sam Allardyce appointment. He will look at our strengths, he will play to these strengths, he will make us prepared with a long term tactic in mind, and I'm confident we will stay up. However what I'm also confident of happening is he will turn round and leave at the end of the season once his reputation is 'restored' and we will be back to square one. I guess it's open to interpretation if that is defined as a success.

That's how I feel about us. My worry is if we 'evolve' into a more possession orientated side, we'll just become one of many, basically a weaker version of someone like Man City or Arsenal - the kind of team that most sides set up to defend against, and they'll have us sussed as a result. I felt what was significant about the year we won the league was that we kind of threw teams, they weren't used to setting up against sides like that so much now. I think that applies to a degree with Palace too.

But I have to say I think with moves like this, your board are lowering the chance you ever get someone like Howe or Dyche. Would would either of them leave settled sides for this revolving door?

2 hours ago, Stan said:

1 month for De Boer then you go back in time to get Hodgson in xD 

Crazy.

4 games. That's taking the piss imo.

This  decision and the transfer period just gone are setting new records for ridiculousness and stupidity in football. 

• The title was changed to Crystal Palace Sack Frank De Boer; Hodgson Appointed

Archived