talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Crystal Palace Sack Frank De Boer; Hodgson Appointed

1 hour ago, Dan said:

That's how I feel about us. My worry is if we 'evolve' into a more possession orientated side, we'll just become one of many, basically a weaker version of someone like Man City or Arsenal - the kind of team that most sides set up to defend against, and they'll have us sussed as a result. I felt what was significant about the year we won the league was that we kind of threw teams, they weren't used to setting up against sides like that so much now. I think that applies to a degree with Palace too.

But I have to say I think with moves like this, your board are lowering the chance you ever get someone like Howe or Dyche. Would would either of them leave settled sides for this revolving door?

Valid points made there Dan. I'd like to think the board will be desperate to point out this is the third sacking in six and a half years which isn't a bad return in modern football but even that doesn't sound great.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Danny said:

The most pointless club in the league now surely? Done well to be even more pointless than West Brom.

Pointless? Not really but you could argue that they're getting similar in some ways to Sunderland towards the end of their spell in the Premier League in regards to getting into a cycle of a manager leaving, getting a new one in who keeps them up and then fails to replicate that form the following season before leaving and then getting a new manager who keeps them up and so on. 

36 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I remember Arsenal fans on here all clamouring for De Boar. 

Maybe he could take over from Wenger? 

Yes as we have said, it wasn't just De Boer,  it was De Boer, Bergkamp and Overmars.  That is the real success not Frank de Boer on his own with Orlando Trustfull like he has been since he fell out with Dennis Bergkamp at Ajax.    The combination of those 3 was superb and it would of suited Arsenal perfectly, due to the playing style, ideas and the Overmars as the technical director.  

Totally expect someone like Sakho and Cabaye to lose their patience with Hodgson. I remember reading about Reina, Johnson, agger, etc. being hugely annoyed by his pre-historic tactics. 

I totally understand where @Aaroncpfc is coming from, but surely there are managers out there who can bring in change while employong pragmatic football - a wee bit of modernity. Hodgson is not that soul. And good luck bearing his press conferences.

• Subscriber

Four fucking games, unbelievable.

Why anyone who gives two fucks about their reputation would even give a second thought to entering management when they retire from football is beyond me. The only upside is the big payout whenever you get sacked.

It's ended up being Palace but it was only a matter of time before someone ended up getting sacked after such a ridiculously small number of matches. Clubs all want to embark on these long term projects nowadays but at the same time won't accept even a month or two of poor form before they scrap their long term plan, get a new manager, put together another 5 year plan only to kick another manager out 6 months later and act surprised when the club never moves forward over time, citing inferior resources or whatever.

Pathetic, football is broken.

• Administrator

Steve Parish has to accept responsibility here. He wanted a different style of football and just like last season, when it isn't working abandons it for a more pragmatic approach given the players available. So here Palace are again. Parish conceded it would take time for things to change but bottles it. Another season potentially wasted 

4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Four fucking games, unbelievable.

Why anyone who gives two fucks about their reputation would even give a second thought to entering management when they retire from football is beyond me. The only upside is the big payout whenever you get sacked.

It's ended up being Palace but it was only a matter of time before someone ended up getting sacked after such a ridiculously small number of matches. Clubs all want to embark on these long term projects nowadays but at the same time won't accept even a month or two of poor form before they scrap their long term plan, get a new manager, put together another 5 year plan only to kick another manager out 6 months later and act surprised when the club never moves forward over time, citing inferior resources or whatever.

Pathetic, football is broken.

Thats the problem in modern football, a month of bad results from a manager trying to do something new but to go back in time and get manager like Hodgson in, is very uninspiring.  

3 minutes ago, Batard said:

Steve Parish has to accept responsibility here. He wanted a different style of football and just like last season, when it isn't working abandons it for a more pragmatic approach given the players available. So here Palace are again. Parish conceded it would take time for things to change but bottles it. Another season potentially wasted 

Owners need to stay off Social media also,  Parish gets in arguments with fans via Twitter straight after games, its very unprofessional. 

Story in the Dutch Press.   De Boer wanted a number of players sold, he wanted the club to sell Ward as he didn't think he was good enough, players stuck up for Ward, also De Boer wanted several players from abroad but was knocked back.  He changed training to get players more technical which again the players felt humiliated due to playing in the Premiership for a number of years. 

1 hour ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Totally expect someone like Sakho and Cabaye to lose their patience with Hodgson. I remember reading about Reina, Johnson, agger, etc. being hugely annoyed by his pre-historic tactics. 

I totally understand where @Aaroncpfc is coming from, but surely there are managers out there who can bring in change while employong pragmatic football - a wee bit of modernity. Hodgson is not that soul. And good luck bearing his press conferences.

I think given the position we're more of a Fulham than a Liverpool which will benefit Hodgson. He has shown at teams like Liverpool and England that he doesn't really have a Plan B when he's expected to win matches and he's losing. Well, thankfully for him we're not expecting to win anything. We rise to the occasion being the underdog which is evident over the previous four season and that should actually suit him.

56 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't know about you but that 'only upside' would be enough for me to quit my current job. Three years salary for ten weeks work? Yes please.

51 minutes ago, Batard said:

I don't think we can compare this season to last season. We gave Pardew time, a lot of time, it hadn't been working for almost twelve months and there was no sign of an upheavel ahead. Even with hindsight given the rather unexpected turnarounds with Clement at Swansea and Silva at Hull I expect that had we of stood by Pardew we would have been relegated. This sacking seems far more irrational.

Palace will be bottom 3 until at least the end of November because of De Boer. If he was still incharge and hadn't pulled off a miracle against the title challengers coming up then the media would have turned on him anyway.

Being sacked now saves him from being too humiliated to ever visit England again.

:ph34r:

• Subscriber
54 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I think given the position we're more of a Fulham than a Liverpool which will benefit Hodgson. He has shown at teams like Liverpool and England that he doesn't really have a Plan B when he's expected to win matches and he's losing. Well, thankfully for him we're not expecting to win anything. We rise to the occasion being the underdog which is evident over the previous four season and that should actually suit him.

I don't know about you but that 'only upside' would be enough for me to quit my current job. Three years salary for ten weeks work? Yes please.

I don't think we can compare this season to last season. We gave Pardew time, a lot of time, it hadn't been working for almost twelve months and there was no sign of an upheavel ahead. Even with hindsight given the rather unexpected turnarounds with Clement at Swansea and Silva at Hull I expect that had we of stood by Pardew we would have been relegated. This sacking seems far more irrational.

Depends, I might be a rare nobhead or just young and naive in saying this but I'd much rather be a teacher and have a job where I know I'm always working towards something that won't go to waste and know who I'm going to be working with in another 3 years (more or less) than be a football manager struggling to sleep at night because I've been sacked three times between every minor career high.

I'd hate to be a manager and if I was an ex footballer of any note why would I need the money which is the only positive part of it? Constantly getting interfered with or sacked by chairmen who know nothing about the game, challenged by lazy prima donna players who think they're it and are often happy to down tools and let the manager take the flack if they don't get on with them, trying to get transfer business done with slimy agents complicating the matter at every turn when I just want to improve my team, dealing with the media constantly trying to give your job to other people while you're still in it, rent-a-quotes like Jamie Redknapp and Robbie Savage poking holes in every decision you make despite knowing less than nothing about football management themselves, and fans who actually somehow know less than the aforementioned "experts" lobbing abuse at you at the game, on radio phone ins, on social media after every dropped point because they think their years of experience playing for the Dog & Heron Sunday league side qualifies them as experts on Premier League football.

Writing that has reminded me just how much I hate almost every faction that exists in football which has wound me up but back to the point, unless you're an elite manager with an almost bulletproof reputation like Mourinho or Guardiola, or you simply don't care about getting unreasonably slated or fired by every party that you spend your professional life trying to appease, football management must be an absolute horrible job and I can't see why rich ex-pros would consider it these days if they don't need the money.

I think it's a really poor decision, I thought when he adapted the formation yesterday they looked a decent team and were very unlucky to lose and should have won really.

You can't sack managers after 4 games, it's absolutely nuts.

23 minutes ago, Toony said:

I think it's a really poor decision, I thought when he adapted the formation yesterday they looked a decent team and were very unlucky to lose and should have won really.

You can't sack managers after 4 games, it's absolutely nuts.

They just lack quality,  zaha is a big loss also. 

Quality is fine. Benteke, Cabaye, Townsend and Lee have the ability. It's form they dont have. 

It sounds fake that he was putting the ball in the top corner in training. If true then it makes sense that he is a poor manager. Good players often don't understand how football works when it comes to management, they just think everyone should automatically play well and play like them.

1 minute ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Quality is fine. Benteke, Cabaye, Townsend and Lee have the ability. It's form they dont have. 

It sounds fake that he was putting the ball in the top corner in training. If true then it makes sense that he is a poor manager. Good players often don't understand how football works when it comes to management, they just think everyone should automatically play well and play like them.

It was reported in the press he done that and players didnt like it as they thought he was arrogant. I think they were treated like youth players because De Boer didnt rate their ability and started doing technical training which they probably did when they were 16.  

The problem is that some football clubs aren't run as football clubs anymore, but as a business, hence why we have so many foreign ownership now wanting to make big bucks. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this decision is largely down to the American owners panicking because they don't quite grasp the concept of relegation and ultimately shit themselves at the potential loss of money they make from owning the club.

They aren't used to relegations in the States. Franchises in NFL, NBA, NHL etc can finish bottom and still be in the top competition the following year without it affecting them too much, but obviously that's not how it works over here. Relegation is catastrophic for them from a business/marketing point of view and given they have had two weeks over the international break to sit on this and stew, they have dropped their arses and buckled.

Had they had more studious owners who could see more of a long term plan and accept the rough with the smooth of changing the footballing philosophy of the club, then there could have been more understanding and time shown to De Boer to get his vision right.

• Administrator

Decision made before the end of the transfer window, apparently

Crystal Palace were already considering replacing manager Frank de Boer two weeks before he was eventually sacked.

De Boer, 47, met with Palace chairman Steve Parish and sporting director Dougie Freedman on Monday, 28 August.

Parish and Freedman left that meeting very underwhelmed and with no confidence that the Dutchman was the right man to turn Palace's fortunes around.

They made contact with former England manager Roy Hodgson - the favourite to take over at Selhurst Park - and other potential replacements about their availability that week - but the club's focus turned to player recruitment at the end of the transfer window.

De Boer was expected to be sacked before Sunday's trip to Burnley and although that did not materialise and there were signs of encouragement despite Palace's 1-0 defeat, it was largely irrelevant.

The hierarchy - Parish, his American co-owners and Freedman, were in the director's box at Turf Moor and the decision had been all-but made.

Palace sacked the Dutchman on Monday after just 77 days in charge.

Among the reasons for Palace's dissatisfaction were:

• De Boer's apparent diversion from a number of agreements reached when he signed, such as the team's formation.
  • The squad's struggles to adapt to the style of play he tried to implement.
  • Poor feedback on planning, methods and sessions.
  • Atmosphere at the training ground.
  • His use of, and relationship with certain players, such as Damien Delaney, Martin Kelly, Joel Ward, Jairo Riedewald and Lee Chung-yong.
  • A perceived lack of input on transfer activity.

De Boer is understood to have been unhappy with factors including:

• The pre-season schedule organised before his arrival.
  • The involvement of Parish in first-team matters.
  • The delay in signing defender Mamadou Sakho.

The Eagles are 19th in the Premier League after Sunday's defeat - and have failed to score in their four league matches under De Boer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41229891

22 minutes ago, Stan said:

Decision made before the end of the transfer window, apparently

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41229891

Well De Boer has never been involved in transfers, clubs abroad have other people doing it, Overmars did the transfers at Ajax, while he was in charge. And in the Dutch press its said he was surprised about how poor the players abilities were at the club. 

• The title was changed to Crystal Palace Sack Frank De Boer; Hodgson Appointed

Archived