talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Crystal Palace Sack Frank De Boer; Hodgson Appointed

De Boer isn't totally blameless in Crystal Palace's start to the season. Maybe he could've turned it around but to totally change a team's style straight from the off rather than introducing a change gradually was an obvious risk and it definitely didn't pay off.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Four fucking games, unbelievable.

Why anyone who gives two fucks about their reputation would even give a second thought to entering management when they retire from football is beyond me. The only upside is the big payout whenever you get sacked.

It's ended up being Palace but it was only a matter of time before someone ended up getting sacked after such a ridiculously small number of matches. Clubs all want to embark on these long term projects nowadays but at the same time won't accept even a month or two of poor form before they scrap their long term plan, get a new manager, put together another 5 year plan only to kick another manager out 6 months later and act surprised when the club never moves forward over time, citing inferior resources or whatever.

Pathetic, football is broken.

Have to agree. I think it's one area where the money has actually weakened the Premier League. So many clubs don't ever try to build something because they're so petrified of relegation that they won't accept even a slight dip in form.

I didn't see Burnley v Palace but by all accounts Palace shouldn't have lost, it wasn't really one that you'd have put down to the manager anyway. If players are missing sitters and defenders are making silly individual errors then how much is that truly the manager's fault?

35 minutes ago, Dan said:

Have to agree. I think it's one area where the money has actually weakened the Premier League. So many clubs don't ever try to build something because they're so petrified of relegation that they won't accept even a slight dip in form.

I didn't see Burnley v Palace but by all accounts Palace shouldn't have lost, it wasn't really one that you'd have put down to the manager anyway. If players are missing sitters and defenders are making silly individual errors then how much is that truly the manager's fault?

I think there is more to it now, Ronald De Boer wrote a piece about it today in the press after speaking to his brother,  he actually said Parish spoke to De Boer after the burnley game and said just focus on training tomorrow.   All this has to be down to the players, they are used to a Pulis, Big Sam, Pardew. De Boer is a different breed of coach and he works the continental way with a director of football, but his training was back to basics which the players didnt buy into. So they will go back to what they are used to again which is Roy Hodgson.   I have said many of times in the Past that De Boer was good at Ajax because of his team he had around him, he just doesnt seem the same with teaming up with Orlandlo Trustfull.   Even if he did turn it around in the next game it was only matter of time he went because of the players not liking the big change he was trying to do so quickly. 

11 hours ago, VanPanna said:

De Boer apparently embarrassed players in training by smashing shots in the top corner and asked why they couldnt do it. 

You really need to stop all the shit you read. Townsend, Benteke, Zaha, Sako, Puncheon, Wickham, Luka, MacArthur and loads of others can do that.

If DeBoer is half as patronizing as you make out or you've been been towards us in this thread then maybe that helps explain why it seems Holland were the only country not to qualify for the Euros along with San Marino and Scotland.

10 hours ago, Lucas said:

The problem is that some football clubs aren't run as football clubs anymore, but as a business, hence why we have so many foreign ownership now wanting to make big bucks. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this decision is largely down to the American owners panicking because they don't quite grasp the concept of relegation and ultimately shit themselves at the potential loss of money they make from owning the club.

They aren't used to relegations in the States. Franchises in NFL, NBA, NHL etc can finish bottom and still be in the top competition the following year without it affecting them too much, but obviously that's not how it works over here. Relegation is catastrophic for them from a business/marketing point of view and given they have had two weeks over the international break to sit on this and stew, they have dropped their arses and buckled.

Had they had more studious owners who could see more of a long term plan and accept the rough with the smooth of changing the footballing philosophy of the club, then there could have been more understanding and time shown to De Boer to get his vision right.

I do feel really sorry for them. We were sixth in the league with only one result separating us, United and Spurs at Christmas 2015 when they got involved. They've spent a lot of money and it's been mediocre ever since.

10 hours ago, Stan said:

Decision made before the end of the transfer window, apparently

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41229891

A lot of guesswork there. It was well known when he joined he wanted to play three at the back, he was happy to work with Dougie, it's been documented he didn't want Sakho, he joined just before pre season so was aware of the schedule, Parish avoids the training ground and nobody gives a fuck about what Kelly or Lee think.

11 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

You really need to stop all the shit you read. Townsend, Benteke, Zaha, Sako, Puncheon, Wickham, Luka, MacArthur and loads of others can do that.

If DeBoer is half as patronizing as you make out or you've been been towards us in this thread then maybe that helps explain why it seems Holland were the only country not to qualify for the Euros along with San Marino and Scotland.

Well maybe you think you are better then  you really are.  The owners of Palace have turned the club into a laughing stock over this. Now you will probably end up with Roy Hodgson and you seem happy with this.

13 minutes ago, VanPanna said:

Well maybe you think you are better then  you really are.  The owners of Palace have turned the club into a laughing stock over this. Now you will probably end up with Roy Hodgson and you seem happy with this.

Funnily enough I am happy seeing us beat all the top six and get to an FA Cup in the last couple of years but maybe I'm easily pleased.

It's curious that the players and time are blamed for a changing style not working. No one questions whether it is infact that style and the managers understanding of it which isn't good enough.

Palace are not a team of brute's but for some reason the narrative is that it would be hard to change their style. Pochettino had no problem taking over from a Nigel Adkins team.

It reminds me of Steve McClaren. His Boro were as dull as dishwater but with some class strikers. Over time and experience after that he changed. He came to us with new ideas on the way his team would play. We looked ok at first but couldn't win a game. Eventually that took it's toll and the players lost confidence resulting in our relegation. McClaren just wasn't good enough. 

Roy Hodgson though? 

That game with Southampton at the weekend is massive. If they happen to lose that then there's every chance they could lose all 8 of their opening games with the Manchester clubs and Chelsea to follow.

• The title was changed to Crystal Palace Sack Frank De Boer; Hodgson Appointed
  • Subscriber

The old reliable cycle of the bottom 13 Premier League clubs. Employ foreign manager, panic when it doesn't work, employ shit but pragmatic British manager with a record in the Premier League, survive, sack British manager in favour of more exciting new foreign manager. Rinse and repeat.

To be fair, it's keeping them up. If Allardyce or Pardew fancies it there's a job for them in January when whichever clubs find themselves in the bottom three sack their managers and want a proven top 17 grinder.

10 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

The old reliable cycle of the bottom 13 Premier League clubs. Employ foreign manager, panic when it doesn't work, employ shit but pragmatic British manager with a record in the Premier League, survive, sack British manager in favour of more exciting new foreign manager. Rinse and repeat.

To be fair, it's keeping them up. If Allardyce or Pardew fancies it there's a job for them in January when whichever clubs find themselves in the bottom three sack their managers and want a proven top 17 grinder.

Well Palaces last lot of managers have been   Ian Holloway, Tony Pulis, Neil Warnock, Alan Pardew, Sam Allardyce, de Boer and now back to normal with Hodgson.         So you can see why a foreign manager trying to play a different style wont work, it was too much of a change.

10 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Off the top of my head I can't see any evidence for that claim among any current premier league club.

Has it even ever happened before?

If any focus whatsoever is being placed on the coaches that have gone in one door at Crystal Palace and out of the other, then that's a big error.

Let's just take this latest one as an example...  What THE HELL has Frank De Boer got to do with Roy Hodgson?  Where are the similarities there if any?  They're both human beings?

Who are in charge of the projects at the club?  Identify them and throw them out of the window.

27 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

If any focus whatsoever is being placed on the coaches that have gone in one door at Crystal Palace and out of the other, then that's a big error.

Let's just take this latest one as an example...  What THE HELL has Frank De Boer got to do with Roy Hodgson?  Where are the similarities there if any?  They're both human beings?

Who are in charge of the projects at the club?  Identify them and throw them out of the window.

I have already said that on here but got accused for being stupid, patronising and clueless by a Palace fan.     There were obviously problems with de Boer and his methods with the current team, De Boer is a completely different kettle of fish to what they have had in the past, but they would of moved forward with de Boer eventually, its hard to do big changes also if you can't get the certain players in to suit a certain playing style.    De Boer must of spoke about this surely when going for the job, what on earth was talked about otherwise, I stick to my remarks of calling the Palace board clueless.    Some players are too stuck in their ways and cannot adjust to change.    Hodgson will just come in, steady the ship but where are they going with him, basically their season is over for this season now as all Hodgson might do is keep them safe but thats it, what is the overall goal and also the future plan, Hodgson has signed a 2 year deal also which is very worrying. 

De Boer lasted just 11 league games at Inter Milan so there's probably something more serious than the excuse that Yohan Cabaye can't pass a ball like an Ajax player against ADO Den Haag. Let's image he made it that far at Palace, here are the upcoming fixtures

Southampton (H), Man City (A), Man Utd (A), Chelsea (H), Newcastle (A), West Ham (H), Tottenham (A).

I don't think it is far fetched to claim that after 11 games there is high probability Palace will be bottom three if not bottom of the league. Hodgson or not. Hodgson is coming into quite a precarious situation after just 4 games. They've picked up no points from 3 games against relegation fodder and their fixtures have landed in a way that puts the psychological aspects of the game, their confidence, their belief, in real jeopardy.

This is how good players get relegated. Lets not forget Palace have just scraped 40 points a couple of seasons in a row. It won't take much for that to become 33 points for the season.

Had Parish sacked De Boer with a run of bankers coming up I would think the panic is unwarranted. But part of me thinks there is at least something to it, even if 4 games is daft, De Boer has fucked up against the worst teams in the league. If it was me I would have waited until 1 or 2 of those Manchester games are out of the way, let De Boer take the blame for that and try for a honeymoon against Newcastle and West Ham.

So an episode in which Crystal Palace attempted to rid themselves of the Caveman style of football which has seen them fighting relegation, to become a passing easy on the eye middle of the table safe club has seen their hand picked Euro manager last just the 4 games.

The face of the club, at least he can be counted as one of the saviors, Steve Parish is taking it royally from almost anyone who has an ounce of football intelligence who felt De Boer was a more than strange appointment when one took into account the squad he was inheriting and then come the close of the window when the club did not flood themselves with the style of players who would be more at home with how De Boer has made his name as a manager.

The night before, as well as early morning of De Boer sacking, the word coming from Parish n others who are said to be in the know at Palace, were painting a picture of business as usual.

As we understand it, what changed was when the investors from the USA got involved and suddenly De Boer became the 2nd Palace manager since their investment directly sacked at their insistence.

For me, and this is the bigger picture which has become clear from this episode, Parish is no more than a Puppet at Palace.

QuestionALLPalace fans must be asking...... Who makes these appointments as they need to be held responsible for their actions, plus baring in mind who the new guy is sitting in the hotseat seems to be a return to the well trodden line former appointments.

Palace fans deserve better.

Archived