talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England National Team Discussion

53 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

It’s all well and good slagging players off but there’s many instances, most in fact, where the alternatives are not anywhere near good enough or the suggestions people make are not players who even play in the same position or role as said player. 

I’ve just spent ten minutes or so reading the comments section to the England squad announcement. I’ve seen Jack Grealish and Phil Foden suggested as replacements for Fabian Delph and Harry Winks by a lot of people. Neither play in the same roles as Delph or Winks and these are genuine suggestions. 

There’s not a lot of depth in England’s central defence or midfield, so you get people like Michael Keane, Delph and Winks in there. 

I have no alternatives to suggest, I'd accept this is probably as good as it gets for England. They just haven't got that many good players.

12 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I have no alternatives to suggest, I'd accept this is probably as good as it gets for England. They just haven't got that many good players.

I agree. While I’m not defending the likes of Keane, Winks and Delph in the slightest, I can’t offer alternatives that are better than those three at the minute. 

• Subscriber

You can't expect to have a 25 man squad made entirely of top class players. The bench and fringe players are barely worth debating when you're playing two games. Even at a full international tournament it isn't unusual to see 7 or 8 players from your 23 man squad go home without kicking a ball. England's biggest problem probably is at centre half. Maguire is good but not top class. Gomez is still learning his craft, Tomori looks a decent prospect, then you've got a bunch of Keane and Mings type players who are around their peak and are of a certain standard but clearly aren't going to carry you deep into a tournament if you're relying heavily on them.

I also agree with midfield being an issue. You can rely on Henderson but Alli has gone off the radar for about 2 years and it's refreshing to see him finally dropped, Barkley manages to look average even in these qualifiers at times, Winks is okay and offers something most of our midfielders don't, Delph is useful in his adaptability but not good enough at any single position to stake a claim, so yeah a lack of quality again.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Danny said:

Is Mount classed as a midfielder or wide-forward? The midfield is clearly crying out for Phil Foden imo but he needs regular game time at City

central attacking midfielder I'd say?

Although the squad is not strong, I actually think we're not far off having a really strong XI that are capable of going all the way in a tournament.

For me, by the time we kick off the Euro's, we could line up like this, and I would try it in the next game where we know we'll dominate the ball.

20191004_131340.thumb.jpg.e0ceabac19ae63fedfb0b2abf24c1a2b.jpg

If that team kicked off next Summer, I'd be reasonably optimistic we could trouble some teams.

Two forward-thinking full backs who are improving better defensively. A centre back pairing that offers strength, speed and can bring out the ball.

Creativity in midfield with Maddison, who coincidentally for me is the man we need to build that midfield around IMO with lots of mobility and movement from Mount and Winks, followed by a devastating front 3.

Infact, how many countries would give for that front 3 now in Europe? Predatory marksman in Kane, followed by two of the game's most in form wingers in Sterling and Sancho.

My only gripe is that I think central midfield is possibly a little light weight. So potentially there is a spot for a Henderson/Rice/Dier man to do the ugly work as necessary.

But is that essential against weak opponents at home? No.

That being said, I don't think we are in a privileged position of having a world class defensive midfielder and think we should adapt to what we actually have, which is a talented ball playing team.

Pep's City play KDB in an '8' role but with the freedom to roam, in addition with having David Silva. Yes these are World Class players but I'd love to see us try something similar with Maddison and Mount than revert to the usual typical England midfield we'd use.

Edited by Lucas

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Although the squad is not strong, I actually think we're not far off having a really strong XI that are capable of going all the way in a tournament.

For me, by the time we kick off the Euro's, we could line up like this, and I would try it in the next game where we know we'll dominate the ball.

20191004_131340.thumb.jpg.e0ceabac19ae63fedfb0b2abf24c1a2b.jpg

If that team kicked off next Summer, I'd be reasonably optimistic we could trouble some teams.

Two forward-thinking full backs who are improving better defensively. A centre back pairing that offers strength, speed and can bring out the ball.

Creativity in midfield with Maddison, who coincidentally for me is the man we need to build that midfield around IMO with lots of mobility and movement from Mount and Winks, followed by a devastating front 3.

Infact, how many countries would give for that front 3 now in Europe? Predatory marksman in Kane, followed by two of the game's most in form wingers in Sterling and Sancho.

My only gripe is that I think central midfield is possibly a little light weight. So potentially there is a spot for a Henderson/Rice/Dier man to do the ugly work as necessary.

But is that essential against weak opponents at home? No.

That being said, I don't think we are in a privileged position of having a world class defensive midfielder and think we should adapt to what we actually have, which is a talented ball playing team.

Pep's City play KDB in an '8' role but with the freedom to roam, in addition with having David Silva. Yes these are World Class players but I'd love to see us try something similar with Maddison and Mount than revert to the usual typical England midfield we'd use.

That midfield gets absolutely mugged off by any team with either decent physicality or a bit of guile for me. Henderson has to be in there.

The back line is unconvincing as well. Pickford and Maguire have performed well at a major tournament so okay, even if they aren't top class. Alexander-Arnold is obviously up there. Gomez has a lot to prove for me. Both of those Liverpool lads have yet to emulate their club form for England on a regular basis as far as I can remember. Not that they've been bad, but not quite hitting their Liverpool heights. Chilwell is alright but ultimately has a lot to prove at a higher level, but certainly deserves a chance as I don't think Danny Rose is much better than average and he has had plenty of opportunity to convince us otherwise.

Front three, absolutely on the money. Kane and Sterling are amongst the very best in their position and Sancho looks to be on his way into that bracket.

@RandoEFC @Danny - To be fair, I did say we may need more steel, so a Henderson/Rice/Dier character could fit in there, theragainst weak opposition we could get away with it I think. Maybe worth trying in a friendly or home game against a shitter.

I agree, jury is out on Gomez. Tomori could make a late run also, but they do have talent. I think it's important to also remember that this is possibly the most even Euro's tournament we will be entering for a while. I think our team is capable of going a long way when you consider Italy, Germany are in transition, Holland are of probably equal ability and France, as well as maybe Spain and Portugal are just ahead of us.

It's closer though than its ever been.

@Cicero - I disagree. Why can't we try and play a game using a similar method to Pep and have Maddison and Mount working like De Bruyne and David Silva do for City?

I totally get the class of player is lower but I think the one thing that always annoys me is how we feel we have to conform to picking too many 'solid' players, like having Henderson, Rice, Dier etc. We have never been great at holding the ball with these players in, why don't we use players with better ability on the ball? I'd like to see us try at least. 

Edited by Lucas

1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

Ruben Loftus-Cheek has to be seriously in contention as well but it will depend on how he returns from injury and if he can stay fit and healthy. 

Don’t rate Loftus-Cheek that much, good at carrying the ball but he doesnt really stamp his authority on a midfield

• 5 weeks later...

I was thinking about it the other day. We have actually got a decent team right now. I mean sterling is one of best players in the world right now. If him and Kane can really gel they could be unstoppable. Even in defense we have good players and if they get time together we could do well. We don't have world class defenders but we have good defenders. If we can get to the semis of euro 2020 at Wembley I really think we have a good chance. The country is behind England and any team in Europe wouldn't want to play there against us with the crowd right behind us.

Edited by Guest

19 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I was thinking about it the other day. We have actually got a decent team right now. I mean sterling is one of best players in the world right now. If him and Kane can really gel they could be unstoppable. Even in defense we have good players and if they get time together we could do well. We don't have world class defenders but we have good defenders. If we can get to the semis of euro 2020 at Wembley I really think we have a good chance. The country is behind England and any team in Europe wouldn't want to play there against us with the crowd right behind us. 

Really? Always got the impression an England crowd is pretty placid and full of families, nothing intimidating.

Delph is a utility player, is experienced and has won league titles. Not every choice needs to be on form...Delph and Grealish for example would not be competing for the same spot

Expect to see the below line up, I’d like to see Maddison in there. Mount as well but tbh I’m not sure he’s done enough to warrant a start and Henderson and Winks provide defensive cover that we’ll probably need

Pickford

Trippier - Stones - Maguire - Chilwell

Barkley - Henderson - Winks

Sancho - Kane - Sterling

3 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Really? Always got the impression an England crowd is pretty placid and full of families, nothing intimidating.

When I went it was pretty much families and a fair amount of people come in from the south east. Complete contrast to the element of support England away can attract

All kicked off with Sterling and Gomez apparently.

Sterling not considered for the Montenegro game.

Clearly, the Liverpool lads having banter with Sterling in particular and it's all gone pear shaped with emotions still running high.

Big statement by Southgate to leave out one of our star players. Clearly, his head isn't right after yesterday.

And to only drop Sterling suggests the main issue is him. Big call.

IMG_20191111_234542.thumb.jpg.4611a5f7bfdb7e736c8a9bf9d2cb1753.jpg

Edited by Lucas