talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England National Team Discussion

• Administrator

Would love to know what Sterling has done/said which means he misses out and not Gomez or both of them. Wonder what the other Liverpool/City lads have said or done in the situation too. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Would love to know what Sterling has done/said which means he misses out and not Gomez or both of them. Wonder what the other Liverpool/City lads have said or done in the situation too. 

Apparently, Joe Gomez said hi to him in the team canteen and Sterling said something like 'are you still the big man' in reference to them squaring up at the end of Sunday's game.

Read that from either the Mirror or Mail on Twitter so could be complete speculation that that's actually what was said.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Apparently, Joe Gomez said hi to him in the team canteen and Sterling said something like 'are you still the big man' in reference to them squaring up at the end of Sunday's game.

Read that from either the Mirror or Mail on Twitter so could be complete speculation that that's actually what was said.

Must have been more that, surely? Probably another physical confrontation. Not often I agree with Rio Ferdinand but if it was just a tussle then surely this could have been kept in house?

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Must have been more that, surely? Probably another physical confrontation. Not often I agree with Rio Ferdinand but if it was just a tussle then surely this could have been kept in house?

Story is that Sterling tried to get in his face a bit but Gomez just backed off when he realised Sterling was being serious. Again though, this is just what I've read from red top Twitter accounts so while I'm sure there's some truth to it I wouldn't take it as gospel.

• Administrator

50 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

but if it was just a tussle then surely this could have been kept in house?

Begs the question if there's someone leaking info from inside SGP... 

You know certain areas of the media have been waiting for Sterling to make a mistake. Especially after he’s been appointed England’s head of racism. Build them up and tear them back down.

Some absolute waffle in here comparing a recent 2 time Premier League winner in one of the best sides to ever grace the league to Tottenham Hotspur, a side with no silverware expectation whatsoever. Also as if Spurs haven’t been utter shit this season because of that loss.

He’a been a knob, he’s apologised, let it go. Stop following media narratives that they try to create about him.

• Upvote 1

By Rio Ferdinand

GARETH has handled being England manager brilliantly - up to this point.

He has conducted himself in a admirable, eloquent & engaging way. Helping to make a Nation feel like they can have some sort of confidence & respect for the national team.
However, I feel this incident could have been handled better.

Keep it behind closed doors & deal with it internally surely?! Come International Week, it’s meet up time between Sterling & Gomez...  Raheem Sterling was still upset with Gomez about the result on Sunday & their little pushing/words said during the #lfc vs #mcfc game.

So he has obviously gone into the England camp heated & gone for Gomez, in doing so grabbed Gomez by the throat. Obviously as a manager I’m sure having a harmonious squad is the best scenario - handshakes and hugs on sight not confrontations. But let’s be honest now this kind of stuff isn’t uncommon in squads full of testosterone.

In the various squads I have been a part of I have seen players get punched in the face, ribs broken, nose busted, head kicked like a football.....a throat grab was the equivalent of the intricate handshake embraces that are all too familiar today!

The main question is: Why this couldn’t be handled internally? 

I suppose the management have felt it would be better to nip it in the bud prior to the press, agents, family friends leaking the news. However, the worst case on this instance would have been someone asking in a press conference “what happened between Raheem & Gomez, we heard there was a fight”. Easy answer & we have a game to concentrate on. Incident done and dusted. No player looks any worse, we move on.

Now Raheem is left to defend himself from all of the haters that had had their keyboards turnt off due to him becoming a very worthy ambassador for the English game, and rightly so.

If this was a terrible incident then I would be all for public shaming & discipline. But for this ‘throat grab’ that we are TOLD it’s for I can’t understand it.

Gareth would no doubt had seen worse many times during his time as a player and manager.
I just feel this could and should have been handled better to support the player & not hang him out to dry.

One of our World Class players who has conducted himself wonderfully through Racism and unwarranted criticism in an England shirt will now come under more scrutiny and be vilified in the media no doubt - when this could have been dealt with internally. Hindsight is a great thing though.

It seems to me, Raheem felt embarrassed by all that went on at the weekend.... a sign of winning mentality..... however channeled wrongly. Help educate him!

RF

Thoughts?

I think Rio has a fair point in the case of a player who's copped more than his fair share already and has people out there waiting to get on his back again.

If Sterling just grabbed him the way it's been reported I think the punishment meted it fits the crime but the media flak exceeds it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

England's friendlies next year before the Euros:

England vs Italy - Friday 27th March
England vs Denmark - Tuesday 31st March
Austria vs England - Tuesday 2nd June
England vs Romania - Sunday 7th June

• 4 weeks later...

At least the excuse is already sorted.

On 09/01/2020 at 03:54, Happy Blue said:

Foden is better than all 3

Lolz

On 16/12/2019 at 22:39, carefreeluke said:

What a beautiful passage that sums up the general British mentality when it comes to football.

But they’re lazy and shit. That’s the issue.

• Administrator

People's thoughts on Choudhury potentially being touted to play in the Euros as the defensive midfielder?

I personally think it's a tad too early for him to play - he's not played in the senior team at all and to chuck him in a senior tournament like this might be a lot to ask (even after a few friendlies as well).

He's definitely got lots of potential and I think he could be a regular in future. 

Aren’t Maddison and Grealish both left sided midfielders? I’m not sure they’ll start as Southgate likes some defensive solidity and will probably partner Henderson with Rice only allowing one of them to start...most likely Grealish imo

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Danny said:

Aren’t Maddison and Grealish both left sided midfielders? I’m not sure they’ll start as Southgate likes some defensive solidity and will probably partner Henderson with Rice only allowing one of them to start...most likely Grealish imo

Grealish moreso but perhaps @Fairy In Boots can enlighten us. I don't think he was a fan of Grealish being shoved out to the left-side when we played them in December.

As much as myself and @Dan hate it when Maddison is played on the left for us. It totally nullifies his creativity and his best position is central attacking midfielder. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Grealish moreso but perhaps @Fairy In Boots can enlighten us. I don't think he was a fan of Grealish being shoved out to the left-side when we played them in December.

As much as myself and @Dan hate it when Maddison is played on the left for us. It totally nullifies his creativity and his best position is central attacking midfielder. 

Sorry mate I meant centrally left sided, as part of a three man midfield 

1 hour ago, Happy Blue said:

Which one is better and why?  ..i wouldn't trade Foden for ALL 3 of them combined Lolz

Foden hasn’t achieved a single thing and isn’t even a regular in your first eleven. I know you love a good fishing trip, but if Pep really believed in him, he’d be starting every game. 

1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

Foden hasn’t achieved a single thing and isn’t even a regular in your first eleven. I know you love a good fishing trip, but if Pep really believed in him, he’d be starting every game. 

You just stick to being bald :P  ..he won the best player award at the last world cup, what have the others done?

• Haha 2