talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England National Team Discussion

Can’t see Grealish getting a game, nor Maddison. The Sterling-Kane-Rashford trio works very well and all three appear to have a decent understanding between themselves. Sancho will get in the squad, too. 

Think Maddison could well get in the squad, but can’t imagine he’ll get much game time. 

• Subscriber

Grealish and Maddison should certainly be in the squad. With Kane out, Rashford will probably play as the central striker which opens up a gap on the left side for either Sancho to enter the front three or possibly Grealish coming in off the left. The former is probably more likely given that he's already got some experience but I think it's really important to see both Grealish and Maddison get some minutes. If there's a three man midfield you've obviously got Henderson in there, I don't see why you couldn't play Maddison or Grealish in a midfield three. Who else is there? Barkley has surely lost his place finally, but I suppose Alli could be back in contention for a start after his recent form. I've not seen anyone touting Choudhury to get in the side for the Euros personally but I can't think of that many alternatives. Delph was in one of the recent England squads so if that's how hard up we are for midfielders then there's no reason why Choudhury couldn't be in contention. It will be interesting to see which English strikers may get an opportunity with Kane out injured. Rashford will clearly be the first choice, you'd have to say Ings has made himself a shoe-in. Abraham has done enough to keep his place. After that, I wonder if Callum Wilson, who has been in fairly modest form, will be recalled, or whether Calvert-Lewin could get a first call-up, or whether Southgate will opt to call up a more flexible forward that can play as the non-central part of the front three, but he already has that in Rashford really.

6 hours ago, Stan said:

Grealish moreso but perhaps @Fairy In Boots can enlighten us. I don't think he was a fan of Grealish being shoved out to the left-side when we played them in December.

Grealish’s preference is central. 

He’s s also better than Mount, Ali & Maddison, Barkley in fact he’s the best attacking Midfielder England have. In the worst team and leading the stats, he plays the game in slow motion with the ball on a string it’s just that type of talent that happens once in a generation. 

Ali, Mount, Barkley & Maddison would drown in the waters Jack swims in. 

If we go down he’s going to be sold but if we stay up he’s not going anywhere he’s not going to force a move to go to some club like Spurs or Chelsea. His dream is to play for Villa and win something. If we do go down I’m taking a break from it frankly watching him play for another would break my heart 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Let's see if your opinion doesnt change once he joins the team he has supported since being a kid. 

Says you who's opinion changed of Maguire the moment he joined Utd xD 

5th choice centre back...

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Ali, Mount, Barkley & Maddison would drown in the waters Jack swims in. 

This is a bit of a stretch and I think you know it xD

Barkley yes. The rest no. Don't be silly.

• Subscriber

Maddison's best for us on the left of the midfield two in front of a holding midfielder - what's good as well is that you retain the Chilwell link.

Playing him on the wing would be utterly nonsensical for England.

Regarding the Maddison v Grealish debate - I think there's very little in it, both are quality players and both should be heavily involved, but I'd not be surprised to see both of them overlooked more than they deserve to be, Maddison has been already and Grealish is probably an even bigger maverick, England don't usually favour those types.

The Kane situation is going to pose an interesting question but unfortunately England usually get these wrong when it comes to tournaments. We'd favour a half fit Kane over Vardy, and that's just plain wrong as far as I'm concerned.

They've got to have a serious talk with Vardy to get him involved. He's well on course to hit 30 goals this season. How can you overlook that?

• Subscriber
On 08/01/2020 at 23:56, Teso dos Bichos said:

Grealish and Maddison should start for the NT during the euros. Mount's minutes should be limited imo, still a bit raw. 

Is that Teso over here dropping truth bombs? Good work.

• Thanks 1

• Subscriber

As for Choudhury it's a bit early I think but in fairness, we don't really have many players like him and he's about to get a good run in our team with Ndidi out, so there's a chance he catches the eye.

Honestly, if Kane's out (and to be honest, even if he isn't it should be considered), how can England seriously not take Vardy?

7 hours ago, Dan said:

As for Choudhury it's a bit early I think but in fairness, we don't really have many players like him and he's about to get a good run in our team with Ndidi out, so there's a chance he catches the eye.

Honestly, if Kane's out (and to be honest, even if he isn't it should be considered), how can England seriously not take Vardy?

Because he’s not participated in qualifying...if it gets to a tournament then Rashford deserves to start over him

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Danny said:

Because he’s not participated in qualifying...if it gets to a tournament then Rashford deserves to start over him

Rashford should rotate with the wingers, he's better there.

5 minutes ago, Dan said:

Rashford should rotate with the wingers, he's better there.

Disagree, if the defence is defending deep Rashford’s more likely to slow play down from wide. Prefer to keep him central and allow him to rotate mid game with Sterling if needed

• Administrator
49 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Nope Grealish was your first choice, he rejected you, Newcastle & Barca to ok the Spurs move. Your second choice was Maddison, I’d not swap you for Maddison plus £30m 

Yes cos that's the equivalent of what you said xD

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yes cos that's the equivalent of what you said xD

I know his agent your first choice was Jack, it wasn’t happening so you switched to Maddison. That’s the sum amount of your clubs scouting going for Jack first over Maddison Stan. 

We can argue about opinions all day, I’m just telling you what went on. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I know his agent your first choice was Jack, it wasn’t happening so you switched to Maddison. That’s the sum amount of your clubs scouting going for Jack first over Maddison Stan. 

We can argue about opinions all day, I’m just telling you what went on. 

How does us wanting Grealish first equate to Grealish swimming in waters where others would drown? 

You make it sound like Grealish is world class. Get over yourself. He may be better at the moment but don't make out like he's some version of Messi and the others are Sunday league standard. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

How does us wanting Grealish first equate to Grealish swimming in waters where others would drown? 

You make it sound like Grealish is world class. Get over yourself. He may be better at the moment but don't make out like he's some version of Messi and the others are Sunday league standard. 

I think if you put Maddison, Mount, Barkley in our side they’re not producing as much as Jack