talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England National Team Discussion

On 07/10/2020 at 15:50, Stan said:

Make that a 3-3 draw with Andorra scoring a last minute equaliser...

Terrible result that. Had to check it twice when I read it

On 07/10/2020 at 17:12, Smiley Culture said:

How has it escaped me that Ady Boothroyd is still managing the 21’s? I genuinely would have him down as a League Two/National league manager at very best and I think, even then, I’m being kind to him. 

Yeah I agree gotta be someone better than him who would like the job. Could even look at giving it to one of the u20 or u17 world cup winning coaches 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I know there's 3 games coming up but choosing nearly half a squad full of defenders seems so, so negative. 

6 centre-backs (7 if you count Walker who has played there more recently)
4 RB/RWB
2 LB/LWB (3 if Maitland-Niles is included)

And yeah we do play with a 3-5-2 formation with those wing-backs but think it's a bit much.

Having said that, Ward-Prowse's inclusion is warranted so glad he's in. 

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley), Dean Henderson (Manchester United)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Wolves), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Reece James (Chelsea), Michael Keane (Everton), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Arsenal), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Jack Grealish (Aston Villa), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Declan Rice (West Ham), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton), Harry Winks (Tottenham)

Forwards: Tammy Abraham (Chelsea), Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)

Probably because there’s a massive lack of decent English midfielders out there. 

I’d bin Henderson, he doesn’t play for United, I’d have rewarded Darlow or McCarthy, they actually play games. 

Genuinely had to Google what Tammy Abraham was up to, as I can’t say I’ve even noticed him this season. I’d have gone with Ings there. 

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Probably because there’s a massive lack of decent English midfielders out there. 

I’d bin Henderson, he doesn’t play for United, I’d have rewarded Darlow or McCarthy, they actually play games. 

Genuinely had to Google what Tammy Abraham was up to, as I can’t say I’ve even noticed him this season. I’d have gone with Ings there. 

8 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Midfield is without a doubt the weakest part of our squad. Having Dean Henderson in doesn't make a difference really as I doubt he will get long ,if at all, on the pitch. I agree with @Smiley Culture that Ings would have been a better option than Tammy Abraham too

Ings is injured for up to 6 weeks.

2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

If our 3 keepers are locked in as Southgate's top 3 keepers for England... we may a bit of a problem if Pickford's poor form stops him from playing regularly for Everton and if he might need replacing in the national team. Pope was one of the better keepers in England last season - but right now he's at the bottom side in the Premier League... so I can understand if there's big reservations starting Pope for England. And then, like you say... Henderson doesn't play anymore.

32 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Even so, Callum Wilson? They could genuinely pick a bloke whose playing for Cheltenham Town though because they’re not going to play but you might as well pick someone whose in form. 

I also agree with this. Tammy Abraham's not playing well and for the "squad" options rather than the main starters for the nation team... I'd rather go with people who are in form than just pick players signed to big clubs but don't play very much.

• Subscriber

If it wasn't the goalkeeper position Pickford probably would have been dropped for Pope by now. Pickford is having just enough decent games and moments for Everton without having any howlers for England either that he is still able to stave off Pope. Pope is more consistent than Pickford but his ceiling isn't that high whereas Pickford is capable of stand out performances. If you had a consistent top half standard English goalkeeper then they probably would have ousted Pickford. Henderson is a non-entity as long as he isn't playing. It would have been smarter for Southgate to drop Henderson if he's not playing anyway, to put some pressure on the lad to try and get some game time. If he played another season or two regularly in the top flight he could easily displace Pickford if he doesn't improve.

• Upvote 1

3 goals and 5 assists from 11 appearances for Tammy Abraham this season. Not great by any means but he's come off the bench in 6 of those games. He's done fairly well when he has played in my opinion.

The biggest question mark is Reece James. Why? He's banned for 2 games?

• Subscriber
49 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

sOuThGaTe LoVeS mOuNt. 

Twitter mouth breathing LADBible minces like that Footy Accumulators need to get in the sea. 

Eurgh...   i unfollowed them on all platforms many moons ago. 

16 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

I haven't watched an English player as great to watch as Grealish in a long time.

He is very good to watch. Sorry Villa fans, but you can't help but feel he should be challenging for higher honours at domestic level and playing in European Competitions. 

• 4 months later...

Squad announced:

Judging by the amount of defenders I assume this means we're going with a back 3. Good to see Bellingham get a call up, Lingard is deserved too. Also great to see Ollie Watkins called up, completely deserves a cap. Saka is seen as a forward apparently but I would have him ahead of Luke Shaw at left back if we're going with a back 3. The the "best"/expected line up is below, but will imagine there'll be a lot of gametime for everyone 

Henderson

James - Walker - Stones - Maguire - Shaw 

Rice - Mount

Foden - Sterling

Kane

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Squad announced:

Judging by the amount of defenders I assume this means we're going with a back 3. Good to see Bellingham get a call up, Lingard is deserved too. Also great to see Ollie Watkins called up, completely deserves a cap. Saka is seen as a forward apparently but I would have him ahead of Luke Shaw at left back if we're going with a back 3. The the "best"/expected line up is below, but will imagine there'll be a lot of gametime for everyone 

Henderson

James - Walker - Stones - Maguire - Shaw 

Rice - Mount

Foden - Sterling

Kane

Southgate also just stated he could see Mount playing a deeper role (as he should), so that lineup looks likely. Walker over James though. Not been impressed with James at RWB this season. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Southgate also just stated he could see Mount playing a deeper role (as he should), so that lineup looks likely. Walker over James though. Not been impressed with James at RWB this season. 

Walker has to go centre back imo, far too good there for us not to use him