talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England National Team Discussion

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Good old Welsh trying to take the mick out of the English xD.

Same to be honest, I wanted Southgate as our manager so can't grumble at that but after the defeat to Iceland I cut a lot of ties to the national team. How Harry Kane can score over 20 goals a season for three years yet totally bottle the Euros is disgraceful and the players around him didn't do much better either. Beating Wales was the only highlight of the tournament for me and that was only because I was in a bar full of their fans. 

We're stuck in a cycle as you say and it's so hard to get behind as a result.

I thought they would go with Southgate and had £20 on him at 6/1 when Hodgson got the boot. Sure enough they got a manager in for one game and THEN they ended up with Southgate.

I just think there's something fundamentally wrong at England. It's the same style of play, the same type of players, no matter who is in charge. I really did think Allardyce was going to come in and shake things up a bit but although it was just one game, nothing looked to had changed to me really.

It'll be the same under Southgate. We will qualify for Russia, make the same kind of mistakes in our squad selection, get our tactics / style of play wrong and produce another utterly unforgettable tournament performance. It happens far too often for it to be a co-incidence.

I think England need a kick up their arse like getting a hard qualifying group. We keep getting lucky draws and we keep deluding ourselves as a result of them.

I just feel so utterly disconnected with it all to be honest. I won't actively want them to fail but I don't really feel a jot of passion for it. Even the Wales winner I didn't celebrate even nearly as much as your standard league goal for us.

International football as a whole though is flawed. The system is all wrong. We spread uncompetitive fixtures out over two year periods. It's shite.

Are Danny Rose and Andy Carroll injured?

Surprised we've gone for nine defenders and Theo Walcott has been left out but other than that I don't mind this squad. Given Jack Wilshire fails to start every game for Bournemouth it would have been a pisstake on others if he made the side. It's no really Southgate's fault we're so light up front but i'm happy we've put a clinical finisher in Jermaine Defoe back in the squad. We shouldn't struggle against Lithuania but i'd fancy him to score if he had twenty minutes and we were pressing heavily.

• Administrator
13 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Are Danny Rose and Andy Carroll injured?

Surprised we've gone for nine defenders and Theo Walcott has been left out but other than that I don't mind this squad. Given Jack Wilshire fails to start every game for Bournemouth it would have been a pisstake on others if he made the side. It's no really Southgate's fault we're so light up front but i'm happy we've put a clinical finisher in Jermaine Defoe back in the squad. We shouldn't struggle against Lithuania but i'd fancy him to score if he had twenty minutes and we were pressing heavily.

Danny Rose is and not sure when he gets back.

Carroll has been injured and has only recently come back. 

13 hours ago, Spike said:

I'll be laughing if the worst England team in years outperforms the 'Golden Generation'. Maybe all you poms had to do was take out the divas.

I wouldn't say they were divas. It was a team made up of individuals that completely neglected the type of players you need to make up a team. Michael Carrick or Paul Scholes would have made a massive difference.

• Subscriber

Gibson has looked good for Boro. Remember watching him in 2012 for Tranmere and he looked a step above then and a great talent. Another deserved call up. Southgate picking players in form at least

Gareth Southgate has said Wilfried Zaha didn't have the passion to play for England. I'm sorry but what planet is that spanner on. What's Zaha meant to think when he constantly gets ignored for players like Lingard and Townsend. Id argue that he showed more passion in creating that goal for himself against Russia the other night than any of those fuckwits did against Russia in Euro 2016 and similarly shitter opposition in Iceland and Slovenia. I can't say id use passion as a word to describe our performances since either. England have lost out on a player who can add something different to our squad because of an unhealthy FA obsession of picking players from a top six club.

football forum

Zaha's a right melt from going to the Ivory Coast. It's literally admitting that you're too shite to play for a decent nation so will cling to some family tree loop-hole in order to become an international.