talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England National Team Discussion

On 27/06/2021 at 16:52, shut up said:

This is depressing 

Across England’s three group games against Croatia, Scotland and the Czech Republic the Guardian identified 2,114 abusive tweets directed towards or naming the players and Southgate. This included 44 explicitly racist tweets, with messages using the N-word and monkey emojis directed at black players, and 58 that attacked players for their anti-racist actions, including taking the knee.

So 1,900+ of those weren't racist. Abusive is a very broad term

Edited by internationalsfan

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, internationalsfan said:

Across England’s three group games against Croatia, Scotland and the Czech Republic the Guardian identified 2,114 abusive tweets directed towards or naming the players and Southgate. This included 44 explicitly racist tweets, with messages using the N-word and monkey emojis directed at black players, and 58 that attacked players for their anti-racist actions, including taking the knee.

So 1,900+ of those weren't racist. Abusive is a very broad term

Well they weren't explicitly racist. They could be racially motivated. That isn't really the issue though, the scale of keyboard warriors hiding behind anonymous accounts and abusing players is a problem whether or not they're explicitly racist. Trolls and worthless little people the lot of them. The only real difference with the ones who put the N word and monkey emojis is that they're either braindead enough not to realise they'll get reported for it and have no defence, or just don't care because of the real life repercussions.

7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Well they weren't explicitly racist. They could be racially motivated. That isn't really the issue though, the scale of keyboard warriors hiding behind anonymous accounts and abusing players is a problem whether or not they're explicitly racist. Trolls and worthless little people the lot of them. The only real difference with the ones who put the N word and monkey emojis is that they're either braindead enough not to realise they'll get reported for it and have no defence, or just don't care because of the real life repercussions.

Read the article, that's not the case. They're counting anything abusive, Harry Kane comes in for 100+ in the tally, not racially motivated. The 2,000 figure is being unfairly linked to racism to grab headlines, it's disappointingly tabloid-ish from the Guardian. 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

Read the article, that's not the case. They're counting anything abusive, Harry Kane comes in for 100+ in the tally, not racially motivated. The 2,000 figure is being unfairly linked to racism to grab headlines, it's disappointingly tabloid-ish from the Guardian. 

The Guardian is a tabloid?

Newspaper/media in click-baity headline shocker. 

Although having looked at the headline:
image.png

What's untrue about that?

There's lots of abuse aimed at players. 

It includes scores of racist messages, which falls under the category of abuse. 

What's the issue?

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

The Guardian is a tabloid?

Newspaper/media in click-baity headline shocker. 

Although having looked at the headline:
image.png

What's untrue about that?

There's lots of abuse aimed at players. 

It includes scores of racist messages, which falls under the category of abuse. 

What's the issue?

There's no definition of abuse in the article whatsoever, it's hard to qualify whether or not 'abuse' is something to be worried about.

'Your a useless fucking moron, missing that' is technically abusive, but I don't think most of us would be saying nobody should be allowed to say it. 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

There's no definition of abuse in the article whatsoever, it's hard to qualify whether or not 'abuse' is something to be worried about.

'Your a useless fucking moron, missing that' is technically abusive, but I don't think most of us would be saying nobody should be allowed to say it. 

Still not very nice and still cowardly. I don't want to get too snowflakey about it, stuff like that gets shouted from the terraces all of the time and to an extent, it comes with the territory, but at the same time, if you went into anyone else's workplace and shouted that at them, even if you were a paying customer, you'd get removed by security. If you did it on the street, you'd risk getting your head kicked in by the person you're shouting at and you'd arguably deserve it for being a rude dickhead. It's not a matter of not being allowed to say it, it's a matter of being a little bitch and hiding from the consequences behind your keyboard. That in itself is worthy of criticism in my opinion because it just goes to show what sad, spineless little boys they are to spend their time abusing footballers on social media, racial or not.

I hope the English players are given a warm welcome in the first game back in the grounds up and down the country.

Stuff like this is great to see, you never saw stuff like this with the 'Golden Generation'. In general, the England PR team must have done some good work over the years but still...

The successful Spanish team that won three tournaments in a row also had these kinds of friendships,  bonds, and camaraderie and it was one of the key reasons why they did so well for so long, overcoming domestic club rivalries. Hopefully, the best is yet to come from this group of English players, with a lot of them still young.

Edited by carefreeluke

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

About time for Pat.

He's gone from being perceived as a bit of a running joke in the Championship to proving our whole fanbase wrong (myself included) many pundits, and then doing it at the next level above.

The transformation that Bielsa has made in him is night and day and this is also a 'mini win' for Marcelo much like Phillips was. It's been his coaching that has helped these players reach a level they doubted they could achieve.

Pat deserves it and I hope he gets a fair crack too.

A very winnable group, as much as I'd like to see us play with more attacking intent I'll be happy for us to just secure the points as early as possible in whatever way Southgate assumes is the best way for the team. Plenty of time between now and the World Cup to integrate the likes of Sancho, Greenwood, Foden, Grealish, Saka etc fully into the the starting 11 to create more of a balance within what is a pretty defensive team.

Just now, Danny said:

Greenwood is a striker though isn't he, as opposed to wide forward?

We played him up front first game, and from the right side last week. He’s definitely a center forward, but can also easily play from the wing cutting in, plus he’s ambidextrous with his feet as well. I’m honestly perplexed by his omission. Southgate peddled some bullshit about him only just breaking into Uniteds first team at his presser. I laughed. Hard.

On Greenwood, his arguments for leaving Grealish out not too long ago were that others were ahead of him in the wing-attack slots.

Seems like he's got Lingard in as Mount's CAM stand in. While Saka can play wing-back. And Greenwood has 3 other strikers ahead of him as his potential alternate slot.

Not far off what I expected really. He sticks with the same team in a way not many other England managers have ever done.

Edited by Reluctant Striker

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

England squad for November games against Albania & San Marino

Goalkeepers: Sam Johnstone (West Brom), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Wolves), Reece James (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds), Declan Rice (West Ham), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

Forwards: Tammy Abraham (Roma), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well hes done a very good job. I dont think this will affect anything. I think his motivation  for the job is relentless because of euro 96. @Smiley Culture thoughts? 

There was no reason The FA could have against offering him a new one. It’s fully deserved, he and England have done things I didn’t think they were capable of when he was appointed. The only “worry” I had was whether he thought he was due a club job and wanted to try his arm, again, at that. 

30 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

There was no reason The FA could have against offering him a new one. It’s fully deserved, he and England have done things I didn’t think they were capable of when he was appointed. The only “worry” I had was whether he thought he was due a club job and wanted to try his arm, again, at that. 

I'm not sure. I think he wants to stay until he wins something or he feels like he cant take England any further. I think the euro 96 penalty miss gives him relentless motivation like I said before.  I'm not sure if he would make a great club manager. I think his strength  is he has got the team playing together better than I have ever seen. Club level is more about tactics and recruitment which arent his strong points. I think he has been better tactically than some make out. But the way he has got the team playing together is his strong point