talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England National Team Discussion

Good move, renewal is well deserved. I was hesitant pre-Euros that the team hadn’t done enough to be considered contenders for a tournament but he proved that wrong. Like any coach he’s made mistakes but he seems to know what is needed at this level, gets the best out of the players and is respected by them.

Hopefully we can be a bit more attacking moving forward whilst still keeping our defensive solidity in the big games.

• 6 months later...
  • Administrator

Maddison not selected. Not sure what else he needs to do other than being the best attacking mid in terms of goals and assists this season. 

Justin is in though so I'm delighted for him. 

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Not calling up Vardy & Maddison is a bit of a shock

Vardy would never be called up. Not fussed by that. He's retired from internationals and got played in the wrong position anyway. 

Maddison could have easily been included over Gallagher or Ward-Prowse.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Vardy would never be called up. Not fussed by that. He's retired from internationals and got played in the wrong position anyway. 

Maddison could have easily been included over Gallagher or Ward-Prowse.

Didnt know Vardy had retired from international's, when did he do that? :35_thinking: ..it's our weak area, we have Kane and no real top striker to back him up now if Vardy's out  ..Foden, Sterling and other's can play there but it's not the same is it

10 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Didnt know Vardy had retired from international's, when did he do that? :35_thinking: ..it's our weak area, we have Kane and no real top striker to back him up now if Vardy's out  ..Foden, Sterling and other's can play there but it's not the same is it

He did it after the last tournament he was involved in, I think.

I think Abraham's the best striker to back up Kane for us. He's had a great year at Roma and... well, look at his goalscoring record. He's not the best striker in the world and there are certainly some flaws in his game... but he gets on the end of chances and he puts them away.

I think the lads in Italy deserve maybe more of a chance for England than some of the other players in the squad in their positions. Tomori, imo, should be playing alongside Stones for the time being. Maguire's been in absolute dogshit form... Tomori's been an absolute beast for AC Milan and was a HUGE part for why they won the Serie A. To me that makes him seem like a better choice for a starter than Maguire, Coady, or Guehi. And Abraham's really the only "main striker" we've got if Kane goes down.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Maddison's very unlucky. That's virtually a guarantee he's got no chance of the World Cup either. He deserved to be in this time.

Face doesn't fit though. Southgate prefers workhorses over creators. Like most England managers.

23 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He did it after the last tournament he was involved in, I think.

I think Abraham's the best striker to back up Kane for us. He's had a great year at Roma and... well, look at his goalscoring record. He's not the best striker in the world and there are certainly some flaws in his game... but he gets on the end of chances and he puts them away.

I think the lads in Italy deserve maybe more of a chance for England than some of the other players in the squad in their positions. Tomori, imo, should be playing alongside Stones for the time being. Maguire's been in absolute dogshit form... Tomori's been an absolute beast for AC Milan and was a HUGE part for why they won the Serie A. To me that makes him seem like a better choice for a starter than Maguire, Coady, or Guehi. And Abraham's really the only "main striker" we've got if Kane goes down.

Think if we lose Kane id rather play Foden as a false 9 than Tammy. maybe Rashford should of been selected too 

16 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Think if we lose Kane id rather play Foden as a false 9 than Tammy. maybe Rashford should of been selected too 

Rashford’s been rubbish this season though, deservedly lost his place imo.

I also can’t imagine Southgate understanding how to use a false 9 xD

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Maddison's very unlucky. That's virtually a guarantee he's got no chance of the World Cup either. He deserved to be in this time.

Face doesn't fit though. Southgate prefers workhorses over creators. Like most England managers.

what does slab head work on? other than being another YouTube montage off homelessness.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Rashford’s been rubbish this season though, deservedly lost his place imo.

I also can’t imagine Southgate understanding how to use a false 9 xD

Yeah, he's been crap but we know he's a decent player, maybe it's just the shit show that's united has impacted him? :35_thinking: ..Sterling has mostly been average this season too and lost his place to Foden but turns it on for England

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Not calling up Vardy & Maddison is a bit of a shock

While Vardy has retired he only did so because he was never properly valued. Which I think he was well within his rights.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Danny said:

That squad screams 2 man midfield which is why I can see Maddison not getting in.

It screams five at the back but the back is entirely based to the right. You don't need that many right backs.

I've over time just shrugged my shoulders about players being overlooked but Maddison's face just doesn't fit with Southgate. I think he's massively unlucky. I say this as a fairly heavy critic of Maddison's form early season but he fully deserved our POTS. I thought he'd get in this time. That's killed any chance of the World Cup for him as well.

I just hope he doesn't think he needs to leave us. While I do think the big 6 bias isn't the sole reason for ommitting him (given the likes of Phillips, Coady, Guehi are in) but I don't think he'd have gotten away with it if Maddison had his record for say Chelsea.

1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

what does slab head work on? other than being another YouTube montage off homelessness.

It's a tough one for me. There's absolutely no chance he should be there on his club form but I do appreciate that you want to build a bit of a core, of which Maguire has been a part of. That said I think part of our restrictive attacking game is because we build around protecting our really mediocre centre halves.

Having watched Chris Smalling against us for Roma I'm convinced there's no way he could be worse than Maguire has been. Particularly given how England set up. I don't think Maguire's overly reliable. I can still see him costing us even if he hasn't yet.

Edited by Dan

• Subscriber

On the flip side it's an odd time for Justin to come in too. Probably on the back of his weakest run of form for us. But I did think he'd always make a good option. He'd have been nailed on before his injury. He can play basically anywhere in defence.

I'm baffled that Coady still gets in I have to say. Gallagher's lucky to retain a place as his form has dipped. Phillips off the back of an injury hit season. Yeah Maddison's really been a bit fucked over for me. I feel for him. He deserved it this time.

1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

but capped for Norway.

was watching some vids on Haaland.   he has an amazing left foot but the right foot is a bit excuse me sir.

How he scores them doesn't really matter ;)

1. Erling Haaland – 87

Erling Haaland will leave the German Bundesliga with the best minutes per goal ratio ever. He scored a goal every 87 minutes in the league. It just goes to show efficient the Norwegian was while playing for Borussia Dortmund. He also the only player to have a minutes per goal ratio of less than 90 minutes.

He scored 61 goals in merely 66 overall appearances in the Bundesliga. The 21-year-old also made 19 assists, which takes his overall goal contribution to 80 in 66 matches. Those are simply incredible numbers for someone who is yet to hit his peak.