talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England National Team Discussion

Be interested to see a midfield 3 of Philips, Rice, and Bellingham, but still feel England are too weak at CB to play a back 4. 

- Maguire moves like a fridge. 

- Stones a liability. 

- Tomori has poor awareness which he makes up for in pace. 

- Mings not good enough

- Coady not good enough

- Guehi arguably has all the tools but still untested at the highest level. 

4 hours ago, Cicero said:

Be interested to see a midfield 3 of Philips, Rice, and Bellingham, but still feel England are too weak at CB to play a back 4. 

- Maguire moves like a fridge. 

- Stones a liability. 

- Tomori has poor awareness which he makes up for in pace. 

- Mings not good enough

- Coady not good enough

- Guehi arguably has all the tools but still untested at the highest level. 

Stones is England's best CB by far but with his fitness record it's risky playing him 3 times a week but we don't really have many options do we. Walker can play CB too as can Phillips

Preferred eleven from this team:

Ramsdale

James Walker Stones Tomori Chilwell

Phillips - Bellingham

Foden - Kane - Sterling

Team if we play a back 4

Ramsdale

James - Stones - Tomori - Chilwell

Bellingham - Phillips - Rice

Foden - Kane - Sterling

Edited by Danny

On 27/07/2022 at 10:33, SirBalon said:

I think I’ll leave this here

Total legend!

Bobby Robson was indeed a legend of a manager and a real gentleman off the pitch. You could always feel how much passion he had for the game and he always had players best interests at heart. Asking about Gazza's performance in that tribute game was touching. But I couldn't quite understand what Gazza said in this clip, something like "He was always SOMETHING ...werent he." In any case, Bobby Robson was a great manager and he will always be fondly remembered.

Let Southgate have the World Cup and then pack his bags please.

He's done ok and probably just deserves another crack at an International tournament based on where we finished the last two but it's more luck than judgement isn't it.

I mean, if we are being savage about it, he's actually lost two winnable games where we have been winning, we might have passed up two of the best chances we'll get to win a major tournament.

He's got some seriously talented players at his disposal but he's finding it hard to find a formula with them.

This Natuons League has been a disaster and it feels like his reign is coming to an end. Got to surely be looking at someone new to bring fresh ideas after we've bored our way to the quaters or the World Cup and get knocked out.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Gareth Southgate is the first English manager to get relegated as a player, club manager, and international manager :clown:

Hes not really a clown is he though. Hes done pretty well. Making some strange decisions lately though. Not that optimistic about the world cup. That will soon go after 12 pints in the first game though 😂

Meh. I've been consistent on my thoughts here since the last world cup. England have one of the top 8 or so best teams in the world on paper. Southgate, during both tournaments organized them into an Athletico Madrid style 'hard to beat low block with a proven goal scorer up front and we're good at set pieces' style team. Then they only really beat teams you'd expect them to beat. 

The England fans were in raptures because it was getting results but rarely stopped to look at why and how. You got dumped out of both tournaments the minute you played a better side. This world cup will be no different, it'll just likely happen sooner. Can't always play Sweden, Ukraine, Columbia and Denmark in quarter finals and semi finals. Sooner or later it'll be France or Spain.  

Edited by Devil-Dick Willie
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Meh. I've been consistent on my thoughts here since the last world cup. England have one of the top 8 or so best teams in the world on paper. Southgate, during both tournaments organized them into an Athletico Madrid style 'hard to beat low block with a proven goal scorer up front and we're good at set pieces' style team. Then they only really beat teams you'd expect them to beat. 

The England fans were in raptures because it was getting results but rarely stopped to look at why and how. You got dumped out of both tournaments the minute you played a better side. This world cup will be no different, it'll just likely happen sooner. Can't always play Sweden, Ukraine, Columbia and Denmark in quarter finals and semi finals. Sooner or later it'll be France or Spain.  

Correct. He's the luckiest England manager I can remember. His luck is out though. This World Cup is going to be shocking from England, absolutely no doubt about it in my eyes.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dan said:

Correct. He's the luckiest England manager I can remember. His luck is out though. This World Cup is going to be shocking from England, absolutely no doubt about it in my eyes.

I copped a lot of "we're semi finalists/finalists so we don't care" from the English lot on here, and honestly, I don't blame them at the time. Winning is exciting, especially when you're not used to it! 

However, the chooks were always gonna come back to roost. You can ignore a needing a dive to beat Denmark without their best player in extra time and can ignore going to OT with Colombia and ignore the going 0-4 against teams who can actually play football  (Italy, Belgium twice and Croatia) at the time because you're all caught up in the 'it's coming home' whirlwind. I bet beating Germany felt great too, so good that you can ignore the fact Germany couldn't beat Mexico, South Korea and whoever else at the time so stale had things gotten under the worlds most rubbish coach.

But the party is over, as @Beelzebub said, it's gonna be a quarter final match against Argentina or France. Good fucking luck Burnley FC international. You're gonna fucking need it. 

4 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

because you're all caught up in the 'it's coming home' whirlwind.

Not even an England ‘fan’ so to speak, but this has become the biggest fallacy in world football along with Pogba being world class. The “it’s coming home” chants have 99.9% been self depreciating tongue in cheek since around 2002. It’s probably sung more by England fans since it seems to boil everybody’s piss for absolutely no reason. It’s literally an unofficial anthem and that’s it.

• Upvote 2

I think there’s deserved criticism for Southgate and it does feel like we could be going into the beginning of the end. But the thought process that he’s just been lucky is wildly mental.  Prior to Southgate we were embarrassed by Iceland at the Euros and didn’t make it out of the World Cup group. And contrary to popular belief we do not have a world class group of players, the only players you could put in that category throughout his tenure were Kane and Sterling.

22 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Not even an England ‘fan’ so to speak, but this has become the biggest fallacy in world football along with Pogba being world class. The “it’s coming home” chants have 99.9% been self depreciating tongue in cheek since around 2002. It’s probably sung more by England fans since it seems to boil everybody’s piss for absolutely no reason. It’s literally an unofficial anthem and that’s it.

So waiting for the WC to have this conversation back in the forefront ! 

• Haha 1

Another bad result for England, losing 1-0 to Italy, but it wasn't as bad as the 4 nil drubbing England got at the hands of Hungary in Wolverhampton. England created more chances than the Italians did in Milan, but their finishing was sub-par. In the end, it was a super goal by Raspadori that undid England. I think England really need to stop employing the offside trap too much, it's a risky tactic and Italy beat the offside trap one or two times yesterday, which could have been even more costly for England.

It's too late to make too many changes now and a few of the players that are first choice will probably have to be picked even though they're not playing well or not even playing.

We should still win the group but beyond that, who knows.

• Subscriber

It's coming home really isn't deep at all, I wasn't even sure it was self deprecating (the actual lyrics within the song are) but the main bit, is it just not the same as any song the fans sing? I highly doubt for example Plymouth Argyle fans truly, hand on heart believe that they are the greatest team the world has ever seen.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber

I think it's quite plausible England don't win the group. It's a kind one on paper but you're licking your lips if you're one of the other three and seeing that's your pot one side. I can see the Iran game being the most dire of 0-0 draws.