talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England National Team Discussion

• Subscriber

@Stan, he must be playing for your Leicester again O.o  xD

England squad:

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Leicester), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Michael Keane (Everton), Harry Maguire (Leicester), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Danny Rose (Tottenham), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Aaron Wan-Bissaka (Manchester United)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49507247

• Subscriber

All fair new inclusions I think. Also wouldn't play Barkley in a deeper midfield role. Henderson and Winks are probably your best pairing there. Hopefully Delph can get a good run of games for us and put himself back in contention as he's another one who will do a decent job in there.

Any XI you pick out of that lot shouldn't struggle against Bulgaria anyway and certainly shouldn't struggle against Kosovo.

• 2 weeks later...

Messi is the best ever for me - and even though they're both still playing at a very high level there will come the day not so long away when somebody else must step into those shoes.  

'You look at young players who can be crowned the future best in the world and you still think of Neymar, (Kylian) Mbappe, (Mohamed) Salah, and of course Sterling. I look at the moment - and Sterling is winning that race.

'He's always been a good player, a dangerous player, but under Pep he has become one of the best in the world.

'I know how Pep works - he would have worked closely with him since his arrival - where he needs to improve and what he needed to work on.

'We're now seeing the results of that - he's still young and can be the world's best.'

Xavi--

Edited by Teso dos Bichos

4 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

More concerning is how Hoothroyd got the job in the first place given his style of football got him sacked from Northampton after they were bottom of league two.

He’s been with the England set-up at different age groups for a while now, so I think it’s a case of the face fitting and being seen to be part of a bigger plan, which to be fair, you can’t really knock as we’ve had success at different levels and now see young players emerge into the main side.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
6 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Surely it's more sense, nobody would pick either Alli or Lingard.

Very average squad, the defence especially is poor.

Southgate picked Lingard in September despite doing absolutely nothing!

Glad he's dropped Lingard and didn't pick Alli. No way ever deserving of a spot this season.  

29 minutes ago, Stan said:

Southgate picked Lingard in September despite doing absolutely nothing!

Glad he's dropped Lingard and didn't pick Alli. No way ever deserving of a spot this season.  

It was hardly a question of having balls, as much as he has to pick on form he has to show loyalty to players who have produced for us. Clearly that loyalty can only take them so far but he’s still running a team where the players have to put faith in the manager and vice versa 

• Administrator

My comment was directed towards past squads where players would (seemingly) get picked based on who they played for as opposed to showing form for their club. For example, Lingard who, having only assisted a handful of times in the last year would still get picked for England. And even then, I don't recall many special performances for the national team in the process... 

• Subscriber

Be interesting to see if Abraham or Tomori play because as soon as they do, that's them pledging their allegiance to England. Abraham can still choose Nigeria and Tomori has played for Canada at Under 20 level.

It’s all well and good slagging players off but there’s many instances, most in fact, where the alternatives are not anywhere near good enough or the suggestions people make are not players who even play in the same position or role as said player. 

I’ve just spent ten minutes or so reading the comments section to the England squad announcement. I’ve seen Jack Grealish and Phil Foden suggested as replacements for Fabian Delph and Harry Winks by a lot of people. Neither play in the same roles as Delph or Winks and these are genuine suggestions. 

There’s not a lot of depth in England’s central defence or midfield, so you get people like Michael Keane, Delph and Winks in there.