talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England National Team Discussion

• Administrator

Foden will 100% be a England player in future. Maybe even as early as Euro 2020 if he plays enough for Man City. 

Rashford you'd expect to be around obviously. 

I hope Chilwell continues to develop well and make a name for himself to be in international reckoning. 

Maguire is only mid 20s as well so think he'll be around for a while. 

I hope Henderson isn't still there in 4 years time xD

Leon Bailey is only 20 years old so you'd hope he gets his chance before another nation goes for him. 

There's also players like Jonjoe Kenny, Kyle Walker-Peters, Gomez, Holgate, Dowell, Tom Davies, Patrick Roberts, Josh Onomah, Calvert-Lewin, Tuanzebe who all could potentially be England regulars in future. 

(fuck me there's a lot of Everton players there in that last paragraph! They've done well producing their youngsters recently) 

25 minutes ago, Stan said:

Foden will 100% be a England player in future. Maybe even as early as Euro 2020 if he plays enough for Man City. 

Rashford you'd expect to be around obviously. 

I hope Chilwell continues to develop well and make a name for himself to be in international reckoning. 

Maguire is only mid 20s as well so think he'll be around for a while. 

I hope Henderson isn't still there in 4 years time xD

Leon Bailey is only 20 years old so you'd hope he gets his chance before another nation goes for him. 

There's also players like Jonjoe Kenny, Kyle Walker-Peters, Gomez, Holgate, Dowell, Tom Davies, Patrick Roberts, Josh Onomah, Calvert-Lewin, Tuanzebe who all could potentially be England regulars in future. 

(fuck me there's a lot of Everton players there in that last paragraph! They've done well producing their youngsters recently) 

Forgot about Rashford 😂 I wonder if we're going to see a "golden generation" or if there'll be more of the same.

Everton have done well in the transfer market because Lookman, Calvert-Lewin and Holgate aren't academy products. Pretty sure I read on twitter that the one and only @Storts doesn't rate Tom Davies....or he's just jealous of his wavy beach hair

12 hours ago, Danny said:

Potential England line up in 2-4 years anyone? I don't know a lot about our u21s/u20s/u17s etc these days which is a shame as I could name most of our previous u21 sides when they weren't winning anything :D, so may have left out some bigger younger names. But I'm just looking at this tournament as well and seeing who Southgate will keep around for the next two tournaments to act as the spine.

Kane/Lookman

Sancho/Sessegnon - Alli - Sterling/Gray

Dier/Henderson - Foden/Winks

Shaw/?? - Oxford/Egbo - Stones/??? - Alexander-Arnold/???

Pickford

Jesus, that's a bleak future.

21 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Jesus, that's a bleak future.

Really? Lookman scored 5 in 11 in Germany, Sancho looks promising but obviously still a talent...Sessegnon looks like he could be following the Dele Alli route, Sterling's just hit 20+ goals in a season, Wink I don't know lots about...Foden looks talented?

As England fans we've seen bleak already (the last ten years or so), I'd say that looks quite promising.

On 19/05/2018 at 00:58, Danny said:

Potential England line up in 2-4 years anyone? I don't know a lot about our u21s/u20s/u17s etc these days which is a shame as I could name most of our previous u21 sides when they weren't winning anything :D, so may have left out some bigger younger names. But I'm just looking at this tournament as well and seeing who Southgate will keep around for the next two tournaments to act as the spine.

Kane/Lookman

Sancho/Sessegnon - Alli - Sterling/Gray

Dier/Henderson - Foden/Winks

Shaw/?? - Oxford/Egbo - Stones/??? - Alexander-Arnold/???

Pickford

Could possibly chuck Mason Mount in there too, he's been getting good reviews in Holland. Hopefully he will progress quicker than Lewis Baker.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

Don't mind that from Vardy. I expect Southgate's comments a few weeks ago about bringing more youth in for future tournaments played a part but it benefits us so can't complain. He's played at Euros and World Cup which is more than he probably ever dreamed of. 

I presume if there's an injury crisis Southgate can still turn to him. 

Bit disappointed by the Vardy departure, tbh. I rate him highly and think he’s an real underrated asset to the England team. He’s the “something different” you sometimes need in a difficult game away. He’s direct and has electric pace that would cause no end of problems.

I’m not sure who the youth coming in as a replacement would be. We’ve got Harry Kane and Marcus Rashford, but I’m struggling to think of who would now be third in line. 

Gary Cahill I’m less bothered about. We don’t have great options in that area of the park but he’s not exactly a standout and is replaceable. 

• Subscriber

It's a shame but it's never really worked out for him for England and I don't think there's anything to suggest it's going to in future. He hasn't been poor but he hasn't ever really held down a place either and he isn't going to when Kane's in such form.

I do think he's still our second best centre forward though.

• Subscriber

Who are the young players Southgate can actually bring in up front? Rashford fair enough but his progress has stalled somewhat.

Sturridge is worth a shout if he can stay fit but I imagine England isn't the highest in his list of priorities for the time being.

Welbeck will still be in the squad I'm sure which belies our lack of depth in that position after Kane.

Callum Wilson is the other one who probably deserves a chance, and is similar to Vardy in a way. After that you're looking at the likes of Solanke and Calvert-Lewin as the top forwards from the youth teams but they're both a long way from being ready.

It's not a major problem when you've got Kane to fall back on as your main man. Any other striker is an impact sub or bit part player for the foreseeable future.

England’s striking options are thin on the ground now. 

Under normal circumstances (Vardy being available for selection) I would have said Sturridge would have needed to have a phenomenal year to have even been close to selection, now him and Welbeck need to outdo the other to be get the third striking spot. I’m not overly fussed barring a serious Kane injury because all they’ll be used for is picking up the cones in training. 

4 hours ago, Dan said:

It's a shame but it's never really worked out for him for England and I don't think there's anything to suggest it's going to in future. He hasn't been poor but he hasn't ever really held down a place either and he isn't going to when Kane's in such form.

I do think he's still our second best centre forward though.

7 goals in 26 isn't bad is it?

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Danny said:

Feel like we should have brought Vardy on a lot sooner and a more often than we did at the World Cup, which suggests to me Southgate won't use him that much going forward.

I think that as well. While obviously Kane is first choice I do think we under-used Vardy in both tournaments we took him to. He's a genuinely very decent striker. I think the general under-use has played a part in his decision.

I love Vardy but thought he was poor in the minutes he played for England at the WC. I know he didn’t play much but at the highest level you have to take your chance with limited minutes. 

He’d still be my second choice though and way ahead of rashford.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Marc said:

I agree, but I currently rate Vardy higher than rashford so I have higher expectations for him.

As do I. I think he's ultimately a victim of circumstance. Kane is a better striker and more suited to the system we play. I do however think that it was farcical keeping Kane on at all costs when he was clearly fucked by the end.

Edited by Dan

15 minutes ago, Dan said:

As do I. I think he's ultimately a victim of circumstance. Kane is a better striker and more suited to the system we play. I do however think that it was farcical keeping Kane on at all costs when he was clearly fucked by the end.

You just don't take someone like Kane off, our only proper world class player. That's Vardy's biggest problem.

Edited by Danny

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Danny said:

You just don't take someone like Kane off, our only proper world class player. That's Vardy's biggest problem.

You do if he's fucked and not contributing.