talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England National Team Discussion

• Administrator

Squad for September games vs Spain (8th) and Switzerland (11th)

Goal-keepers:
Alex McCarthy (Southampton)
Jordan Pickford (Everton)
Jack Butland (Stoke City)

Defenders:
Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool)
Joe Gomez (Liverpool)
Harry Maguire (Leicester City)
Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur)
Luke Shaw (Manchester United)
John Stones (Manchester City)
James Tarkowski (Burnley)
Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur)
Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders:
Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur)
Fabian Delph (Manchester City)
Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur)
Jordan Henderson (Liverpool)
Adam Lallana (Liverpool)
Jesse Lingard (Manchester United)
Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea)

Forwards:
Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur),
Marcus Rashford (Manchester United)
Danny Welbeck (Arsenal)
Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)

• Subscriber

Lallana and Loftus-Cheek are slightly odd inclusions for me. Was hoping to see a few more fresh faces and not just the typical "you're English and play for a top six club so you're in". Henderson and Welbeck aren't exactly the future of England either.

Would rather see a Grealish or a Maddison in there. Maybe even Shelvey to try something different in that midfield that ultimately got outclassed in Russia.

Meh, it's a safe squad.

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Lallana and Loftus-Cheek are slightly odd inclusions for me. Was hoping to see a few more fresh faces and not just the typical "you're English and play for a top six club so you're in". Henderson and Welbeck aren't exactly the future of England either.

Would rather see a Grealish or a Maddison in there. Maybe even Shelvey to try something different in that midfield that ultimately got outclassed in Russia.

Meh, it's a safe squad.

"We're coming off the back of a successful tournament so not a lot has changed," he says.

"With us only being three games into the season, I felt some continuity was important. Those who were with us in the summer deserve the right to go again.

"We wanted some continuity and we've had some mature conversations with players like Jamie Vardy, Gary Cahill and Ashley Young over the desire to look at younger players, and of course we had two injuries.

"We won't stand still. We've added young players Luke Shaw and Joe Gomez.

"We're aware of the excitement around some other young players but we think it's a bit early for them."

• Subscriber

Saw the quotes. Didn't question Shaw and Gomez inclusion. Loftus-Cheek isn't ready for me though. He was man of the match against Germany in that friendly but hasn't impressed in an England shirt since and isn't playing for his club. Lallana hasn't done anything since his injury to earn a spot in the England squad even if he's undoubtedly a good footballer.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Saw the quotes. Didn't question Shaw and Gomez inclusion. Loftus-Cheek isn't ready for me though. He was man of the match against Germany in that friendly but hasn't impressed in an England shirt since and isn't playing for his club. Lallana hasn't done anything since his injury to earn a spot in the England squad even if he's undoubtedly a good footballer.

should have bolded the last quote which would explain in some part why Grealish/Maddison aren't there. 

People have to have something to moan about when it comes to England team selection. How people can find something to moan about regarding the inclusion of Alex McCarthy is surprising. What other options are there? Tom Heaton and Nick Pope are injured, Joe Hart is one of the old guard and Gareth Southgate has pretty much ended his International career. After that, who is there? Sam Johnstone is probably the only one I can think of but Alex McCarthy has Premier League experience, which might have tipped it in his favour. 

As for the shouts on bringing in a wave of young players, that was never going to happen. After England’s best performance at a tournament in twenty-two years, there was never going to be mass changes for the first squad post-tournament. 

12 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

People have to have something to moan about when it comes to England team selection. How people can find something to moan about regarding the inclusion of Alex McCarthy is surprising. What other options are there? Tom Heaton and Nick Pope are injured, Joe Hart is one of the old guard and Gareth Southgate has pretty much ended his International career. After that, who is there? Sam Johnstone is probably the only one I can think of but Alex McCarthy has Premier League experience, which might have tipped it in his favour. 

As for the shouts on bringing in a wave of young players, that was never going to happen. After England’s best performance at a tournament in twenty-two years, there was never going to be mass changes for the first squad post-tournament. 

Literally amazed that a light hearted comment about somebody that I wouldn't have trusted with a crayon at Palace has elicited such a thought provoking response. 

On 30/08/2018 at 14:15, Stan said:

Squad for September games vs Spain (8th) and Switzerland (11th)

Goal-keepers:
Alex McCarthy (Southampton)
Jordan Pickford (Everton)
Jack Butland (Stoke City)

Defenders:
Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool)
Joe Gomez (Liverpool)
Harry Maguire (Leicester City)
Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur)
Luke Shaw (Manchester United)
John Stones (Manchester City)
James Tarkowski (Burnley)
Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur)
Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders:
Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur)
Fabian Delph (Manchester City)
Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur)
Jordan Henderson (Liverpool)
Adam Lallana (Liverpool)
Jesse Lingard (Manchester United)
Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea)

Forwards:
Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur),
Marcus Rashford (Manchester United)
Danny Welbeck (Arsenal)
Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)

Lallana & Sterling drop out and Fulham's goalkeeper, Marcus Bettinelli, gets a call up... 6 midfielders total. Okay.

57 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I assume due to the lack of attempts to do so that nobody can explain the point of calling four goalkeepers up to the squad at once?

Pretty obvious really. Clearly Gareth want's to stick two of them in goal as Pickford is hobbit size, lockdown the clean sheet, sacrifice an extra midfielder, and hope to hit Spain on the counter. 

Genius. Can't lose if we don't concede.

What-Roll-Safe-Thinking-Meme.jpg

• Subscriber

I actually wonder if part of the reason they're playing here is because Southgate did want to make their integration as easy as possible. While I don't think Gray's earned it on his club form, he's been by all accounts very good for the under 21s and Southgate seems to value that more than the fans. Chilwell I think has been very hit and miss for us but there was a good article about him yesterday, he comes across very well and I think he will get better given his attitude. He's probably been Leicester's best player so far this season as well - the one player I can actually say has played four good games.

This was the article; https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/09/08/ben-chilwell-interview-summer-minging-running-local-park-propelled/

4 hours ago, Danny said:

Southgate values the use of the youth teams and the progression through them. Gray is also an actual wide player, something Dele and Lingard aren't. Chillwell for me has earned the call up on club form alone, he looks so assured.

He looks assured but we are pretty stacked on the left side with Danny Rose, Ryan Bertrand, Luke Shaw, Ashley Young and Ryan Sessegnon. You could discount the last two due to age position preference but he's still have to work very hard to get ahead of the every three over the next couple of seasons.

Tom Davies is going under the radar when people talk about future English players. He's only 20 and entering his third full season of football. If he can start regularly for Everton under the brand that Marco Silva encourages I don't think he will remain unnoticed.