talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England National Team Discussion

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I'd argue there is no pressure or expectation. Not anywhere near what it once was anyway. We don't ask for much. We'd just like to beat teams like Scotland and Iceland.

Bit much to ask given the current talent :ph34r:.

5 hours ago, Cannabis said:

I used to shake my head at people that didn't watch England but now I'm firmly one of them. The defeat against Iceland was a massive turning point for me and when I'm used to seeing Portugal with my girlfriend it just hits home how out of touch our national side is. No passion, no real tactics other than possession for 90 minutes against the likes of Malta and Gareth Southgate who has turned into a total yes-man. 

The squad that @carefreeluke posted is absolutely shite and will be mauled to death by the likes of Italy, Spain, Germany, South Korea etc... I'm sure we'll win tonight and delude ourselves that the summer of 2018 is going to be anything other than a forgettable English venture. I genuinely get more enjoyment out of Portugal now.

Be glad you've only known her the last few years...some of my family are half Portuguese and watching them beat us in the Euros and World Cup was painful all those years ago.

I can understand why you don't want to watch, there just isn't an improvement at all. There is no style of play that we look to work with and improve upon, with no disrespect to Slovenia, we should be beating them comfortably. We struggled to beat Slovakia. We're 1-0 up against Scotland and Joe Hart concedes a free-kick, OK, one free kick, let him off even if you think he should have saved it. They get another free kick, everyone knows what they're about to do with it and they go and score an identical goal to make it 2-1...just for us to equalise in the last minute, to show "grit and determination"...how about another show of lack of quality.

Manager after manager it has been total dross since Sven left, who would have thought that. Obviously it's not just the managers fault, the players have been utterly gash bar maybe one player. Literally can only think of one player who has actually performed for England regularly after Sven left and that was Ashley Cole. His performance against Italy when they done us on penalties was probably the best performance of any England player in years.

• Like 1

• Subscriber
On 9/30/2017 at 2:56 PM, Aaroncpfc said:

I can't get over Gareth Southgate admitted he's picked people that don't deserve to be in the squad. Is he suggesting there is less than 23 people in the whole country deserving to play for England? It's not like our under 20s won a national tournament or anything.

He emphasises everything that's wrong with the FA. A complete an utter yes man willing to do anything that's suggested from above. He should be banished from football after EPPP and the under 21s performances two years ago. Never mind in what was one of the most sought over jobs in football less than ten years ago.

A year ago he said he picks players on form. Well what form has Lingaard shown with his zero starts this season? Sends a terrible message to all players outside the top six and shows why nobody should trust what this snow flake of a man says.

It actually amazes me that people within the FA can't see that the system isn't working. Either they can't see it or their priorities are totally different to what they should be.

About time the fans stopped going. £45 a ticket for that earlier apparently. Absolute lunacy.

What my preferred England side would look like:

Hart

Walker - Jones - Stones - Rose

Dier - Wilshere

Lallana - Alli - Rashford

Kane

I throw Wilshere in there because a. we don't have a decent playmaker who can play that deep and take the game forward and b. because I hope he can one day start to take the form he was taking prior to his silly injuries. Has the ability to be a class centre mid for us and our best centre mid but obviously he's so injury prone that he's more likely to retire than do that.

You could literally replace Wilshere with anyone because ultimately they will all be as pointless as each other.

I picked Eric Dier because he can slot into a back three and allow Walker and Rose to bomb forward. Lallana when fit just has to be in there because it's some level of creativity, Kane picks himself currently and we don't have a better attacking midfielder than Alli. I like Rashford and think he's mature enough to play out-wide, plus has the pace and creativity to do something from there but I wouldn't expect the miracles that were being expected when he first turned up. Basically Rashford over Sterling.

Ultimately we'll be pants anyway but that's what I'd like to see in an extremely perfect world...

Amazing how a football loving country like ourselves have fell out of love with our national side really. It shouldn't be as bad as this, especially as we've always taken pride in being patriotic and getting behind our national sides in all forms of Sport.

There are several things that need to be looked at from the set up side, from who controls the England team, to lower level clubs and their youth acadamies to even scouting at grass roots level. I would question things like is it time the Premier League controlled our national team rather than the FA? Shouldn't we provide more incentive for lower league sides to develop youth and not just as a conveyor belt for a bigger club to cast the net out to 20 lower division prospects just to reject 19 of them? Should scouts focus less on the size of a kid as opposed to what skill he possesses? Do we look to create a quota where we cap how many foreigners can be selected by clubs to encourage more English players appearing at the top level? All various arguments I've seen in the past.

I know it's a small thing but I'd tell you the first thing I'd do that wouldn't be radical but would at least try to get the fans back onside. I'd stop playing games at Wembley. Probably doesn't mean much to some but we should go back to having the national team 'tour' their games across the country so that every region of fan has a chance to go and watch the side.

I think it's unfair to constantly have all our home games at Wembley, especially as it does it's best to alienate northern fans. Not to mention that the atmosphere is absolutely shocking, especially when a Slovenia or Lithuania come to town. This country is blessed with brilliant stadia and passionate fans, let's play our games all the way from as far as St James Park to as low as St Marys Stadium. If England are playing at a ground close to fans that don't get to see England much for whatever reason, they will clamour to go particularly as it's a 'one off' which will raise the atmosphere and help generate a better team performance. It seemed to work quite well in the Sven Goran Eriksson days when you think of games like against Turkey at Sunderland, Greece at Old Trafford, Finland at Anfield etc.

19 hours ago, Lucas said:

Amazing how a football loving country like ourselves have fell out of love with our national side really. It shouldn't be as bad as this, especially as we've always taken pride in being patriotic and getting behind our national sides in all forms of Sport.

There are several things that need to be looked at from the set up side, from who controls the England team, to lower level clubs and their youth acadamies to even scouting at grass roots level. I would question things like is it time the Premier League controlled our national team rather than the FA? Shouldn't we provide more incentive for lower league sides to develop youth and not just as a conveyor belt for a bigger club to cast the net out to 20 lower division prospects just to reject 19 of them? Should scouts focus less on the size of a kid as opposed to what skill he possesses? Do we look to create a quota where we cap how many foreigners can be selected by clubs to encourage more English players appearing at the top level? All various arguments I've seen in the past.

I know it's a small thing but I'd tell you the first thing I'd do that wouldn't be radical but would at least try to get the fans back onside. I'd stop playing games at Wembley. Probably doesn't mean much to some but we should go back to having the national team 'tour' their games across the country so that every region of fan has a chance to go and watch the side.

I think it's unfair to constantly have all our home games at Wembley, especially as it does it's best to alienate northern fans. Not to mention that the atmosphere is absolutely shocking, especially when a Slovenia or Lithuania come to town. This country is blessed with brilliant stadia and passionate fans, let's play our games all the way from as far as St James Park to as low as St Marys Stadium. If England are playing at a ground close to fans that don't get to see England much for whatever reason, they will clamour to go particularly as it's a 'one off' which will raise the atmosphere and help generate a better team performance. It seemed to work quite well in the Sven Goran Eriksson days when you think of games like against Turkey at Sunderland, Greece at Old Trafford, Finland at Anfield etc.

No one wants to go to Wembley time after time to watch us struggle to beat countries that we should be streets ahead of. Defo should move games around the country but that'd mean the FA using common sense.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
31 minutes ago, Danny said:

England squad to play Germany and Brazil to be announced sometime soon.

Arsene Wenger calling for Jack Wilshere's inclusion...got to be better than Jake Livermore at least?

Harry Winks over the both of them. 

• Administrator

that's quite impressive and apart from maybe Ferguson & Wenger, I doubt many other managers have had such an influence.

Rickie Lambert was nowhere near a 'kid' though xD 

Also, I'm sure Forster joined Southampton after Pochettino left?

• Administrator

Goalkeepers - Butland, Hart, Pickford

Defenders - Bertrand, Cahill, Gomez, Jones, Maguire, Rose, Stones, Trippier, Walker

Midfielders - Alli, Delph, Dier, Henderson, Lingard, Loftus-Cheek, Sterling, Winks, Young

Forwards - Abraham, Kane, Rashford, Vardy

Southgate has said that he wants to play with wing-backs. In which case if that goes through, should be good games against Germany and Brazil.

Hart

Jones, Stones, Cahill/Maguire

Trippier/Young ----------------------------------------------Rose

Dier

Alli --------- Henderson/Winks

Kane ------Rashford

I think that's how they may line-up? Would prefer Maguire, Winks and Sterling to play but for the first 2, sadly I think Cahill and Henderson will start.

Young and Trippier have done extremely well for their clubs. Not sure where Sterling could play though if they are going 3-5-2? If it's 3-4-3 there's more scope for him though.

Still deciding what system this England team should play and what the squad should look like. Hopefully we at least have it sorted earlier than the last 2 tournaments where we decided what were going with in the warm up games. Still, a total disconnect between qualification and preparation for the tournament is quite ridiculous.

• Subscriber

100% agree with moving games around the country. I can't see myself ever warming to Wembley. It's acoustics are horrendous and England games there are associated with being utter kack. Get them up and down the country.

I've been very critical of Gareth Southgate thus far but I like the strong message he's sent out with this squad selection. The way Wenger has been hyping up Wilshire yet not playing him himself has been a bit reminiscent of the time when Wallcott got called up in 2006. If he's that great Wenger play him yourself.

Also I like that he's given call ups to the likes of Abraham and Loftus Cheek. It sends a clear to the amount of talent being stacked at clubs like Chelsea, Arsenal, United etc that if you're able to play football regularly you have a much much better chance of playing for your country. 

Psychologically this puts a big onus on the likes of Wilshire to break in to that Arsenal first team, and gives an extra incentive for Abraham and Loftus-Cheek to improve.