talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Just from a curious point of view... Brief small news in Spain after this weekend.

• After the way results went this weekend, Real Madrid are closer to the relegation zone than Barça.
  • With Messi’s goal against La Real he is now the top scorer in the 5 big European leagues in history... He’s not even a striker!
  • Berizzo was sacked by Sevilla when they he had them 5th in La Liga, in the second round of the Champions League and in the Copa del Rey. Montella doesn’t seem to have started well!
  • Cristiano Ronaldo has allegedly sent an SOS to Manchester United and the Premier League as his disastrous season continues.
  • Eternal Real Sociedad captain, Xabi Prieto yesterday admitted that while injured he bought a ticket to go and watch Messi live at the ground at the Santiago Bernabéu against Real Madrid.
  • Mauricio Pochettino interviewed on a Spanish radio station last night isn’t as adamant as he used to be when asked about the possibility of coaching Real Madrid when asked; “Who knows, who knows where football will take me in the near future”
  • José González (ex Granada and Cádiz coach) takes over from Míchel at Málaga after their disastrous first half of the season.  Unusual patience for a Spanish club finally ends!

• Administrator

saw a stat earlier:

Messi scored his 366th La Liga goal yesterday. If he didn't score in his next 480 games in La Liga, his goals per game average would STILL be higher than Raul, and we all appreciate the quality of the Spanish strikers, listed as one of the all-time greats to be honest. 

Just puts Messi's achievements in to even more perspective. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Paco Jemez is such a boring cunt! Didn't he once said he had hope of one day being the coach of spain:rofl:

Yeah, I must say that Paco Jémez seems to have gone completely mental.  He’s always been very vocal but since his return to La Liga and Las Palmas, he’s coming out with the most ridiculous things, things that are best left in the dresssing room.

He’ll never get The Spain job in this manner and to think that he was once touted as a possible future Barcelona coach.

Villarreal, Leganes and Levante all announced on Sunday loan signings of Saudi Arabia internationals until the end of the season as part of an agreement between La Liga and the Arab state's authorities.    Money Money Money that is what happens when you sell yourselves out to Arabs, now they own the tv rights for Spanish football with their BeIN Media.

Edited by VanPaddy
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Spike said:

@SirBalon What do think of Mauricio Lemos of ex-Palmas fame? People are already commenting he has eclipsed Jose Gimenez (who has regressed) but it is odd that he was loaned->transferred to a middling Italian side. Is the Canary Islands club in dire straights?

It’s a pity we can’t recall old posts from tff because I wrote quite a bit about Lemos especially when we (Arsenal) signed Gabriel from Villarreal. I said he was superior and that he would’ve been a better signing (cheaper) than the Brazilian. But then again we paid more for Xhaka than Chelsea did for Kanté and that says it all.

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

It’s a pity we can’t recall old posts from tff because I wrote quite a bit about Lemos especially when we (Arsenal) signed Gabriel from Villarreal. I said he was superior and that he would’ve been a better signing (cheaper) than the Brazilian. But then again we paid more for Xhaka than Chelsea did for Kanté and that says it all.

I'm surprised he only has 1 cap for Uruguay. They aren't especially blessed in the CB position.

• 2 weeks later...

img_ppunti_20180205-221849_imagenes_md_p

Gary Lineker was in Barcelona last night to pick up his Repsol Extraordinary Achievment Award which is also sponsored by La Liga Santander.  The award is for his footballing achievements during his career ranging from being the top scorer in the World Cup in 1986 Mexico,  329 goals in his career both at club and international level and the fact he never received a booking during his entire career.  Lineker is eligieable for the award due to having played four years in Spain for FC Barcelona.  A fluent Spanish speaker and an ambassador for Barça wherever he goes.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Spike said:

The golden age of Barcelona is not Lionel Messi, it is Karim Benzema.

He wasted a large part of his career as an employee for the CR7 product placement publicity unfortunately. Obviously nobody told him you can't turn back the clock.

8 hours ago, Spike said:

Didn't stop Xavi and Iniesta from being great.

But we measure players like Xavi and Iniesta for those exact attributes.  Benzemá is was a goal scorer, and a good one... Although never massively prolific, he did score goals with the ability to combine very well with the midfield and if playing with another front man, he knew how to find him.  Those attributes were the exact reason why I wanted him at Arsenal so badly but we bought first we tried to make Walcott into a striker, then we bought Giroud, then Sanogo, then Welbeck, then Lucas Pérez, then Lacazette and now Aubameyang. O.o:dam:

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

But we measure players like Xavi and Iniesta for those exact attributes.  Benzemá is was a goal scorer, and a good one... Although never massively prolific, he did score goals with the ability to combine very well with the midfield and if playing with another front man, he knew how to find him.  Those attributes were the exact reason why I wanted him at Arsenal so badly but we bought first we tried to make Walcott into a striker, then we bought Giroud, then Sanogo, then Welbeck, then Lucas Pérez, then Lacazette and now Aubameyang. O.o:dam:

:219_fisherman_fishing_at_a_lake:

You also spelt his name wrong, boyo.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

Such a shame, lost a bit of respect for him actually, I would have taken this man at Chelsea. Talked about setting his family up for life, meh! This bloke would walk into a lot of top teams, going to miss watching him play.

I always have mixed emotions when I see this. He only has 5-10 years of being able to make this kind of money, so I'm not sure I can blame him. It sucks for the fans, but for him personally, you have to get the money. 

• 2 weeks later...