talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Happy International Women's Day

football forum

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather have the disadvantages of a rich woman than the advantages of a poor man. Economic status is far more influential than gender. (In the west, all my posts have been concerning the west).

• Subscriber
48 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Woman's Day shouldn't need to be a day in all truth. Why anyone would treat someone differently because of their gender is totally beyond me. 

It shouldn't need to be you're right, that's the point, unfortunately it is entirely necessary. We are still far distance from equality of the sexes 

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, Spike said:

For example?

I'll comment tomorrow when I'm at work and not on my phone if I can be bothered but your posts suggest you're completely missing the point and why women face an uphill struggle on a daily basis for a variety of reasons. 

As I have said a male dominated football forum, where views are inherently misogynistic often without even realising it, is not really the place for this debate. 

1 hour ago, Storts said:

I'll comment tomorrow when I'm at work and not on my phone if I can be bothered but your posts suggest you're completely missing the point and why women face an uphill struggle on a daily basis for a variety of reasons. 

As I have said a male dominated football forum, where views are inherently misogynistic often without even realising it, is not really the place for this debate. 

What uphill struggle? I don't see that in any women in my life, not my wife, mother, friends or family; they all live successful, adjusted and healthy lives. Misogynistic? I inherently hate women now? If you are referring to nations outside the West; I completely understand and agree but I fail to see what issues actually exist for the average woman in a western society. Women can vote if they choose to, women can choose to have a child or abort, women can choose to work or stay at home, women can choose to marry or stay single, women can choose to study tertiary subjects, women can die for their nation,  women can do as they please in the USA. What rights do men have that women don't? The pay-gap myth that has been dismissed by economists? Being sexualised by the media (even though men are sexualised as well)? I see it all the time, people want equal rights for women, protests for equal rights, demands for equal rights; I'd be more than happy to oblige but what rights? They never state what rights they want, just that they want them. All women have the equal opportunities that men do, just because the outcomes aren't equal isn't indicative of a larger scheme that denies women's equality.

You said that I'm ignorant, posted no evidence to suggest that to be true and you had two people like your post. So just by having a different opinion, I'm automatically singled out as ignorant? So as a man I can't debate this; I cannot have an opinion?  Hey look at that, just by thinking differently you are treating me differently.

3 hours ago, Spike said:

Then why did you create an argument against something I didn't state?

Individualism doesn't exist within a vacuum. Of course gender does matter (I didn't say otherwise) because we have biological evidence to suggest that but it shouldn't be considered the defining trait of a person; nor should we look up to or down upon another because of their gender. Gender is one aspect of what creates a person, there are many more factors that come into play; culture, financial background, family background, family history,  I'm saying it shouldn't matter in determining what type of person to look up towards, who to empathise with, and who to commemorate. We should celebrate the individual not the general masses. Marie Curie is a fantastic historical figure not for being a woman but for being a brilliant and keen mind. 

Sexism isn't irrelevant to men, it simply manifests itself in different ways. Men, just as women are their own enemy when it comes to gender identity. Women are the people getting upset over the housewife v working-mother dichotomy, men are the people being upset over the modern man's role in the family institution. 

Everyone here knows they should think it shouldn't matter, but the point is it clearly does matter therefore individualism is completely disingenuous.

With historical context it is relevant to womens rights that Marie Curie was a woman. You don't have to be a woman to appreciate her important symbolism for women's rights. You don't have to be a woman to commemorate her either as we are all part of equality, that's the point of it.

Conservative individualism is a 1970s reaction to the civil rights movement forcing them to accept black equality when they didn't want to. So they found sanctuary in this idea that being black shouldn't matter, that way they could avoid giving ground to any black related issues. 

54 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Everyone here knows they should think it shouldn't matter, but the point is it clearly does matter therefore individualism is completely disingenuous.

With historical context it is relevant to womens rights that Marie Curie was a woman. You don't have to be a woman to appreciate her important symbolism for women's rights. You don't have to be a woman to commemorate her either as we are all part of equality, that's the point of it.

Conservative individualism is a 1970s reaction to the civil rights movement forcing them to accept black equality when they didn't want to. So they found sanctuary in this idea that being black shouldn't matter, that way they could avoid giving ground to any black related issues. 

You are right, with historical context it is relevant that Marie Curie was a woman; but we aren't discussing historical relevance. We are discussing modern relevance and is it relevant in today's society if a scientist is a woman? Women are being accepted into universities at a staggering higher rate then men (who knows what courses however, could be something that has no monetary return) and it's by far a taboo subject for a woman to be an intellectual. I think America (at least) as a society has moved past the point where a 'Marie Curie Figure' isn't a ground breaking scientist because of their gender but because of their research. I honestly do believe that in most circles people have moved past seeing 'woman scientist' to simply just 'scientist'.  Oddly, I find most division to be in the media; I recall a Lego set being released that featured real life female NASA scientists but the media strongly advertised them as 'female NASA scientists'. Wouldn't it be more beneficial to simply publish them as 'NASA Scientists'? It seems to me that it would imply; to children in particular that there is an inherent difference between a 'female scientist' to a regular 'scientist'. It's not a major issue at all but it does suggest that our obsession with gender is partly fueled by media agendas, and the media can create a controversy over nothing. Maybe there does need to be an International Women's Day, I still think it's stupid that it exists in today's day and age but as I said earlier people are allowed to celebrate what they choose to and it's no business of mine dictating that.

Funnily enough, isn't Martin-Luther King's quote 'they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character' fundamentally a statement of individualism? Kind of an ironic backfire that conservatives used that philosophy as a way to delegitimise black people.

I have no problem with International Women's Day. Globally, women are far from equal. On a slightly relevant note, Melbourne can piss off with the talk to make 'male and female' pedestrian walking lights 50/50 male and female. That is the world going a bit mad. As for the day itself, it doesn't hurt anyone. We have days for almost everything. If it even gives that little bit of exposure for a topic that needs addressing or makes that little bit of difference to someone in a workplace or whatever, then that's great.

15 hours ago, Anton said:

I have no problem with International Women's Day. Globally, women are far from equal. On a slightly relevant note, Melbourne can piss off with the talk to make 'male and female' pedestrian walking lights 50/50 male and female. That is the world going a bit mad. As for the day itself, it doesn't hurt anyone. We have days for almost everything. If it even gives that little bit of exposure for a topic that needs addressing or makes that little bit of difference to someone in a workplace or whatever, then that's great.

haha, you know as a culture you've plateaued when it comes to equality when the worst thing everyone is fighting about is the little dudes on the walk signs. 

• Administrator
On 08/03/2017 at 5:34 PM, StanLCFC said:

it was meant to be yesterday but they took too long getting ready :ph34r: 

10 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

It's today. It was supposed to be yesterday but they took too long to get ready. 

there must be an echo in here.

Ironic as most people need to be told more than once by women for it to sink in :D 

• Subscriber
On 10/03/2017 at 10:31 AM, StanLCFC said:

there must be an echo in here.

Ironic as most people need to be told more than once by women for it to sink in :D 

Haha I didn't see that! 

It was on my "on this day" on Facebook. I posted it a couple of years ago xD

Archived