talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Cup 3rd Round Match Chat - 19-20th September 2017

football forum

8 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I've no doubt we'll treat the FA Cup with the same sort of contempt. 

I'd like to think not but wouldn't surprise me. Last time we treated both cup competitions seriously the manager was sacked at the end of the season, so it'll probably be the case that we don't take them seriously.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well contrary to how some people feel towards this cup competition, I'm very happy we went through at Burnley last night.

Yes, the bigger picture is the league and I would gladly swap last night for three points Saturday. But we made nine changes last night and we got a really positive reaction after Saturday's woeful performance at Millwall. It was exactly what we needed to kickstart momentum again. Players came in who haven't been regulars and made a case for being selected for the league games which is brilliant for keeping players on their toes.

How we contrived to throw the game away twice in the closing stages I don't know, classic Leeds really. But we absolutely nailed our penalties and got there in the end.

I'd like a big game at Elland Road now next round. Just to keep the buzz around the place going. Winning is never a bad thing, no matter what competition you are in.

Just want to go back to the low perception of the League Cup by some. I always get the impression with the League Cup that no one particularly cares in the early rounds but once you get to the semi final, fans are realistically eyeing up a Wembley final and begin to 'want it' more. For clubs like Arsenal and Liverpool who are not exactly in a golden era, they should never be turning their nose up at the chance to win a trophy, no matter how less important it is to other tournaments. It's not as if these teams are equipped to win the league because they aren't.

And these days, the squads of those big clubs are so competitive that whatever team they tend to throw out are good enough to win the tie. Liverpool had a very strong side last night I thought, good enough to get through and probably should have. I'm sure the same will be with Arsenal too. So it's not like it really damages the team that much when you rotate to give players games.

When Southampton got to the final last season, it meant the world to them. And I think for Man Utd, although they have a bigger picture in what they want to achieve, they were glad to win a trophy after a few barren years, it certainly helped push them forward with winning the Europa League also. How can that be a bad thing for Liverpool/Arsenal?

• Administrator

Batshuayi doubles the lead for Chelsea.

Leroy Sane has put Man City ahead while Rashford does the same for Utd.

3 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Mason and Turner to score for Burton tonight. :D

Lloyd Dyer!

• Subscriber

Of course they televise all the "glory clubs" whose games are already over bar Arsenal while our game against Sunderland which could actually be competitive is unstreamable.

Salty. Absolute disgrace that television companies across the world choose to televise Arsenal, Chelsea, United and City rather than giving me the opportunity to illegally stream the Everton game.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived