talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Football Opinions

football forum

• Subscriber

The super league would definitely fail as well by the way. You've got a group of clubs in there supported largely by people because they win all the time - who are no longer going to win all the time.

It may work for a year or two but it would fall to bits after. Absolutely no doubt at all.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Dan said:

The super league would definitely fail as well by the way. You've got a group of clubs in there supported largely by people because they win all the time - who are no longer going to win all the time.

It may work for a year or two but it would fall to bits after. Absolutely no doubt at all.

Thats an interesting point. But I feel theres ways around it.

3 hours ago, Dan said:

Agree.

I think I'd be done with the game if a breakaway super league ever happened. The great thing about playing in Europe is that the big games against the best in Europe don't come around that often. 

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Dan said:

Good point. Can you imagine all the fans that will switch teams to whoever is winning the league?! The amount of half and half scarves on show will be disgusting xD

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

It's just a massively flawed idea promoted by people who want to get into the game, get a quick buck, and then fuck off out of it again. These aren't people in it for the long haul of the sport - they're in it for a quick earner for themselves while the sport picks up the pieces.

All depends who calls the shots really but there'd be something quite poetic about the possibility of the super league being monopolised by one or two clubs.

17 hours ago, Dan said:

Isn’t the Champions League hugely successful and only one side can win that each year. 

On 20/06/2020 at 17:14, Mpache said:

Tottenham Hotspur winning the Champions League would have been a better story than Ajax.

Ajax winning it would have been very nice, but they've won the competition before and we've seen teams win leagues despite being inferior financially (Leicester). Spurs on the other hand, if they had won the Champions League, they would have won the only thing their rivals don't have...

But Ajax come from a league not even in the top 6 in Europe. Yeah admittedly spurs winning it would have been pretty amazing(if I ignore the fact I hate them) but Ajax winning it with football the way it is would have been incredible. I know this is the unpopular opinion thread but I don't think anyone would agree with you on that 

3 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Not saying Luis Suarez is someone to take seriously when it comes to opinions

@Cicero Why do you think I said this xD

What I can confirm though, is that this opinion isn't adjacent to Suarez. It's a popular view in South America. I would link a few others, but they are in Spanish :what:

Edited by Mpache

Personally, I'm not sure I'd say Guerrero is world class myself. He can play for a club like Dortmund or Atletico Madrid for sure, but his finishing is a bit off for him to earn that tag.

What I do believe, is he's top 5 forwards in South America. Cavani, Suarez, Aguero and Firmino are better. Can't think of others. Falcao, Vargas, Jesus, Rondon, Zapata and Icardi aren't better.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Azeem said:

International tournaments KO stages have been really shit for the most part 

You think? I've enjoyed them all other than Euro 2016.

Brazil 2014 got slack for all the 0-0's but I thought they were good 0-0's.

1 hour ago, Mpache said:

You think? I've enjoyed them all other than Euro 2016.

Brazil 2014 got slack for all the 0-0's but I thought they were good 0-0's.

Yeah maybe not all international tournaments i enjoyed Euro 2012 but they are mostly meh i like a high intensity game even without quality but the last two WCs KO stages mostly were pretty dull, especially the semi finals of the World Cup lately, other than Netherlands Uruguay 2010 i didn't enjoyed any of them. 7-1 was a bizzare result

• 4 weeks later...

3rd place play offs are a good thing. In other sports and the Olympics etc people get bronze medals and people are happy when they get them. Obviously winning is better but sometimes bronze is the best you can get. Also players shouldn't take of their silver medals. Its disrespectful to all the other teams who have tried to win a competion and it makes out that second place isn't a achievement which it is.

55 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Not a fan of 3rd place matches personally. 

Agreed in other sports classification matches for losing teams to get ranked are quite common and interesting also but in football for whatever reason they just don't fit in

• The title was changed to Unpopular Football Opinions
On 22/06/2020 at 17:39, Mpache said:

Personally, I'm not sure I'd say Guerrero is world class myself. He can play for a club like Dortmund or Atletico Madrid for sure, but his finishing is a bit off for him to earn that tag.

What I do believe, is he's top 5 forwards in South America. Cavani, Suarez, Aguero and Firmino are better. Can't think of others. Falcao, Vargas, Jesus, Rondon, Zapata and Icardi aren't better.

What about neymar? 

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Wingers can be strikers.

Then Luis Suárez was never the best 9 in the world by that logic.

Pure number 9’s are different to wingers. You’re not wrong in what you say but I think you know what I’m getting at.

12 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Then Luis Suárez was never the best 9 in the world by that logic.

Pure number 9’s are different to wingers. You’re not wrong in what you say but I think you know what I’m getting at.

That is just meaningless semantics, just say centre-forward for crying out loud

On 22/06/2020 at 17:39, Mpache said:

The difference from South America to Europe is crazily big. And when he was in Europe, in his prime, he was a good player, nothing exceptional. Might be my bias, but I can't agree at all on saying someone who was never great at the top is now world class at 36 playing in tired countries. The same way Jorge Jesus, although a great coach in Portugal, was never one of the best in the world nor he is now just because he won it all with Fla. 

I think Jonas, when playing with Benfica, was a lot more "world class" than Paolo ever was, but then again it was in Portugal and he didnt quite do half of that in a lot better leagues. There are levels to it.

Edited by Takezo
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Takezo said:

The difference from South America to Europe is crazily big. And when he was in Europe, in his prime, he was a good player, nothing exceptional. Might be my bias, but I can't agree at all on saying someone who was never great at the top is now world class at 36 playing in tired countries. The same way Jorge Jesus, although a great coach in Portugal, was never one of the best in the world nor he is now just because he won it all with Fla. 

I think Jonas, when playing with Benfica, was a lot more "world class" than Paolo ever was, but then again it was in Portugal and he didnt quite do half of that in a lot better leagues. There are levels to it.

You’re right that he wasn’t that in Europe, but you’ll be surprised at how much better he’s gotten in his old age.

Welcome to the forum by the way :) 

• 2 weeks later...