talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Football Opinions

football forum

• Administrator

I think they get changed for marketing and manufacturing reasons - they're easier to be colour-changed and to re-produce for club merch I imagine. Especially with monochrome kits these days. Some clubs do it well, others look really bad.  

16 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Seen a lot of teams changing their badges, which is fine. However, everyone seems to be using the same design (a roundel) and the uniqueness of club badges is dying. 

Bristol City are another, last year I think. The new St Albans one is shocking, looks like they took the Man City one, changed the text and banged a random shape in the middle.

I don't mind new badges per se - I was never a fan of ones that look like a court logo or something - but give them some personality, some detail, something actually unique. The absolute worst are things like Juve or Nantes, a blatant 'brand' attempt if there ever was.

2 minutes ago, tlr said:

Bristol City are another, last year I think. The new St Albans one is shocking, looks like they took the Man City one, changed the text and banged a random shape in the middle.

I don't mind new badges per se - I was never a fan of ones that look like a court logo or something - but give them some personality, some detail, something actually unique. The absolute worst are things like Juve or Nantes, a blatant 'brand' attempt if there ever was.

The St Albans one looks like they’ve slapped an iPhone case in the middle of it. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tlr said:

You're not a fan of the Juve Toilet seat? 

C2Uk32gXgAQGo40.jpg

I don't mind new badges, but new colors for some of these clubs is absurd. Cardiff change was incredibly poor and to go from the Bluebirds to the Red Dragons was just a loss of identity. 

I agree with @tlr, the Nantes one is also absolute trash. 

I much prefer Manchester City's previous logo over this one, as I thought it was one of the best there was. 

Teams like Hull could use an update, I have always felt like it was an old, and really outdated logo, but I'm not sure what fans like @The Artful Dodger would think of such a thing. 

EDIT: Hull's isn't as bad as I thought. 

Like with everything, the old badges are a lot better. Hull's original badge was the city badge of three crowns, very similar to Hull FC's. Not a fan of the latest one really, anything with a tiger on is going to look daft.

There's a great book World Football Crests which goes through the history of the badges of all the world's greatest football clubs, naturally Hull are in it. Some great facts in there, like both Manchester clubs having the same badge originally

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Azeem said:

I enjoy watching Copa America early in the morning here

Anyone who calls it a "tinpot competition" is Euro-Centric. It's comfortably the second best continental cup in the world behind the Euro's, so if you dismiss that you're dismissing everything else outside of Europe. Not only that but it's got some very good teams in it, so it's borderline delusional to say it's just a "cesspool of a competition".

17 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Like with everything, the old badges are a lot better. Hull's original badge was the city badge of three crowns, very similar to Hull FC's. Not a fan of the latest one really, anything with a tiger on is going to look daft.

There's a great book World Football Crests which goes through the history of the badges of all the world's greatest football clubs, naturally Hull are in it. Some great facts in there, like both Manchester clubs having the same badge originally

I think this is where Newcastle have done alright. It's still some semblance of the city crest after a brief spell of novelty type badges in the 80s.

Badges are changed into the simple circular examples posted above are for marketing. It is far easier to scale up and down the simple badges than an intricate badge like the old Juventus/

Edited by Spike

This is the definition of a "disappointing" rebrand.

When Real Garcilaso rebranded, this is what was rumoured.

The Peruvian Waltz on Twitter: "Cusco FC (formerly Real Garcilaso) unveil  their new logo and kit. Thoughts?… "

In the end, what we got, was this.

Descentralizado: Cusco FC presentó su nuevo logo y camiseta para la  temporada 2020 de l | NOTICIAS DEPOR PERÚ

Looks nice enough until you realize it is actually the same as a part of the Cusco government, though I don't remember the name!

• Subscriber

I'd happily see us use that retro one Stan posted on an away kit or something for example, similar to what Liverpool have done, but I actually do really quite like our badge. Don't know if I'm biased but I think it's just smart.

15 minutes ago, Dan said:

I'd happily see us use that retro one Stan posted on an away kit or something for example, similar to what Liverpool have done, but I actually do really quite like our badge. Don't know if I'm biased but I think it's just smart.

It is a very well designed badge. I really appreciate the fox emblazoned over the city flower.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Spike said:

It is a very well designed badge. I really appreciate the fox emblazoned over the city flower.

Yeah I agree with you, it looks both modern yet traditional if that makes sense. I don't want it changing ever.

10 hours ago, Mpache said:

Anyone who calls it a "tinpot competition" is Euro-Centric. It's comfortably the second best continental cup in the world behind the Euro's, so if you dismiss that you're dismissing everything else outside of Europe. Not only that but it's got some very good teams in it, so it's borderline delusional to say it's just a "cesspool of a competition".

That means there are only 4 continental cups worldwide that are worse than Copa America- not that impressive, if you put it like that.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose