talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Football Opinions

football forum

11 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

The biggest achievement in football isn't winning the world cup, but winning the treble at club level as you've got to be at your best for 60 games over a 9 month period.

Competitively wise international football isn't even in the same bracket as club so in that way most agree but World Cup as Dick said is the ultimate prestige of the game. 

1 hour ago, El Profesor said:

2010 Spain was actually an ultra defensive team that used to ball possession to defend. Terrible side to watch.

Del Bosque completely ruined Aragonés ´legacy from from an aesthetic point of view.

Agreed. I was talking to people about that team a few weeks ago and how dominant they were, I disagreed, they played very poorly at that tournament, barely squeaking through the groups.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Spike said:

Agreed. I was talking to people about that team a few weeks ago and how dominant they were, I disagreed, they played very poorly at that tournament, barely squeaking through the groups.

They played exactly like 1994 Brazil. Conservative, possession-based football.

One of the dullest WC champions ever. Only 8 goals scored during the entire tournament. 

Qatar national team project is commendable. They worked on the team for a decade. Gradually shifted from foreign naturalised players to decent local players. Won the Asian Cup in convincing fashion with this crop of players, of the few naturalised players now mostly are of close Afro-Arab heritage. Having some connection with the country. 

6 hours ago, McAzeem said:

Qatar national team project is commendable. They worked on the team for a decade. Gradually shifted from foreign naturalised players to decent local players. Won the Asian Cup in convincing fashion with this crop of players, of the few naturalised players now mostly are of close Afro-Arab heritage. Having some connection with the country. 

This would be considered racist and not diverse enough by some media outlets. 

• 2 months later...
49 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Goes to show what he offers as a whole. He’s immense off the ball and always creates opportunities with his movement. He may not be on the end of chances but his goal involvement under Tuchel has been very good.  

Imagine if he could put away the ones he should. Not saying imagine he had abilities like Zlatan and instincts like Gomez. Just imagine if he was average at putting the ball away. He'd be lethal. Instead he has a poor passing and finishing game,  breaks up your attacks at times, and finishes almost nothing. 

On 08/07/2021 at 17:58, RandoEFC said:

Vindaloo > Football's Coming Home.

Thing is although I feel Football's Coming Home is a better song, it just makes you think of football heartbreak (both at a club and country level) so can lower your mood. 

Vindaloo meanwhile just reminds you of going out on the lash (to use a rather laddish turn of phrase) before football. 

1 hour ago, shut up said:

In the summer somebody posted on Twitter about them being overrated and they got cooked for it. 

An overrated team doesn't go full circle in winning the Euro, WC, and then the Euro again. 

As much as people slate Del Bosque, he implemented a system that was incredibly efficient. 

Edited by Cicero

Spain 2008 -2012 were fantastic. Quite often certain teams peak at a certain time and other are in transition but that doesn't mean they arent great teams. There victorryniver italy in the euro 2012 final was one of the best performances I have ever seen.

5 hours ago, Khan of TF365 said:

Penalties should be taken by the players who are fouled. If they are too 'injured' than should be sidelined for 5-7 minutes. 

Why though? I mean if a team gets a penalty they want the player most likely to score to take it? 

On 22/10/2021 at 14:35, Gunnersauraus said:

Why though? I mean if a team gets a penalty they want the player most likely to score to take it? 

I can see the logic in having the player fouled in the box (and possibly having an opportunity to score denied) being the same person to take the penalty. But also a rule like this would mean  people who are shit at penalties just being hacked down in the box constantly xD

I think there is a fundamental problem with penalties in that a lot of the penalty box isn't actually a super-dangerous position, attacking-wise. The corners of the box especially are pretty harmless areas. I'm not good enough at trigonometry to work it out, but the corners of the 18-yard box must be a good bit further than 18 yards away, because it's box-shaped.

A semi-circular 18-yard area with the whole area being at most 18 yards away would probably be a more logical penalty area. But it would be too radical a change.