talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Football Opinions

football forum

Timeouts might make football more interesting. Giving the manager the opportunity to get a message to the players could make better games. Wouldn't want to have loads of them like in american sports though 

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I like watching absolute hammerings. Even double figure hammerings. Although I do think they are pointless I do like watching them. 

I love a good meltdown. Not so much when city tear Sunderland appart or what have you, but RBL 5-2 manchester united, United 8-2 Arsenal. Spurs 4-0 liverpool and so on is gas. 

• 2 months later...

Tifo football went from being a quiet, low key high quality low quantity series of 5 minute docos on football and football related topics. 
Then they started doing transfer speculation (aka, dogshit)

Now they have a full on live action channel, and I say this as a white Australian, it's the whitest shit I've ever seen. Just the most sickening white middle class 'humor' and references, and of course a diversity mascot to boot to make it all okay. 
It's unwatchable. 

7 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Tifo football went from being a quiet, low key high quality low quantity series of 5 minute docos on football and football related topics. 
Then they started doing transfer speculation (aka, dogshit)

Now they have a full on live action channel, and I say this as a white Australian, it's the whitest shit I've ever seen. Just the most sickening white middle class 'humor' and references, and of course a diversity mascot to boot to make it all okay. 
It's unwatchable. 

It is owned by The Athletic which is a New York Times subsidary

• 2 weeks later...

Not so much an unpopular opinion but I didn’t know where to put this. But I’m watching a United/Liverpool game from 08/09 and the standard compared to Liverpool and Man City these days is diabolical. How the fuck did Andersen play for United for so long

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Danny said:

Not so much an unpopular opinion but I didn’t know where to put this. But I’m watching a United/Liverpool game from 08/09 and the standard compared to Liverpool and Man City these days is diabolical. How the fuck did Andersen play for United for so long

Oshea, Silvestre, Brown, Anderson, Raphael, fuck me that's all the evidence you need. Football changed dramatically post 2011. 

11 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Oshea, Silvestre, Brown, Anderson, Raphael, fuck me that's all the evidence you need. Football changed dramatically post 2011. 

Leave John O’Shea out of this

12 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

You could say that about almost every previous era of football to be fair. Players are fitter now than 10 years ago, everyone wants to play Pepball, full back are now wingers that kind of defend etc. It’ll be different again in 10 years.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

You could say that about almost every previous era of football to be fair. Players are fitter now than 10 years ago, everyone wants to play Pepball, full back are now wingers that kind of defend etc. It’ll be different again in 10 years.

I agree completely. That's why the 'best ever player' has to be someone recent IMO. Even players of 20 years ago would be left for dead by the pace and fitness levels of the current game

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Bet Pep wish he had that option on Wednesday 🤣

It was relating to that that I heard the idea mentioned and I actually thought yeah I can see them doing this xD it's gotten out of hand in my eyes. It should be 3 and then 1 more for extra time.

There are only four positions  but with varying skill sets and responsibilities. Goalie, defender, midfielder, forward. The defining trait is where they do most of their work on the vertical axis of the pitch.

22 hours ago, Danny said:

I felt the same watching a game in the 99 season between Arsenal and Man United when Overmars effectively ran the length of the pitch and scored. The game looked so turgid but Mark Tyler marked out over the pace and fitness of the Arsenal team at the time.

It was when one of my Chelsea supporting mates in 2006 told me he liked Crystal Palace on Sky became "it reminded him of 90s Football" it soaked in to me how much the game had evolved. A year later I was watching players from Wigan shoot from 30 yards with a realistic chance of scoring when ten years before that it was a rare feat. 

I haven't watched football from the prime Rooney era but I look forward to doing so when United fans bring up they've had the best team in PL history, because the way football has moved on its not true.

2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I felt the same watching a game in the 99 season between Arsenal and Man United when Overmars effectively ran the length of the pitch and scored. The game looked so turgid but Mark Tyler marked out over the pace and fitness of the Arsenal team at the time.

It was when one of my Chelsea supporting mates in 2006 told me he liked Crystal Palace on Sky became "it reminded him of 90s Football" it soaked in to me how much the game had evolved. A year later I was watching players from Wigan shoot from 30 yards with a realistic chance of scoring when ten years before that it was a rare feat. 

I haven't watched football from the prime Rooney era but I look forward to doing so when United fans bring up they've had the best team in PL history, because the way football has moved on its not true.

I think our memories of what they achieved in that period hold them out to be better sides overall in our minds. I just remember thinking back then that surely football can't change that much now, that we were at an advanced stage tactically and physically. You'd think back to someone like Mourinho and think tactics had peaked in terms of attacking vs defending battles.

But then Pep comes in, batters what we saw as one of the best United sides ever in a Champions League final and then does it again a season or two after. Completely changes football globally, I watched youth teams in Sydney playing out the back and it was a direct result of that Barce side. We've all seen it from Prem to Sunday League. Guardiola has made managers like Mourinho and Benitez redundant near the top of the table because the top sides are now so much better than they used to be and now the middle and lower table sides are better technically too.