talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Football Opinions

football forum

1 minute ago, Blue said:

It's fine if it matters to you, and that definitely matters in league structure but standard has to do with the football played and not the crowds.

I agree with you on Leipzig though. They are better than Inter IMO.

I am ranking leagues on a overall basis. Maybe the word desirable is better. Roma are also on the massive decline having lost 3 of their stars in the last 6 months.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Napoli would beat Bayern or at least it'd be close; actually Imcouldnt say for sure. That is the only interesting match up. Sure those German clubs are high on the table but the discrepency between 1st and those clubs puts Bayern ahead into a different stratosphere.  16 points seperates 1st and 2nd while 16 points seperates 2nd and 17th. Everything after Bayern may as well be called 2.Bundesliga because while they be competitive with eachother, tehy aren't very good teams.

Juve would smash Bayer.

Lazio would beat Schalke. 

Inter should beat Leipzig but it depends on Perisic and Icardi.

It matters literally nothing from a competitiveness viewpoint. We may as throw in other arbitrary  things like sponsorships, shared revenue, TV rights, and owners.

Yeah - it would be interesting, but I don't think Inter could beat Lazio.

I wasn't speaking on the competitive nature of the league, just the desirability. Serie A is the only competitive league left out of the big ones in Europe.

But even in Europe, the two are pretty dead set, and Germany has Bayern, and Italy has Juventus and Roma team that is putting all their stars up for sale.

1 minute ago, Daedalus said:

I am ranking leagues on a overall basis. Maybe the word desirable is better. Roma are also on the massive decline having lost 3 of their stars in the last 6 months.

Yeah - it would be interesting, but I don't think Inter could beat Lazio.

I wasn't speaking on the competitive nature of the league, just the desirability. Serie A is the only competitive league left out of the big ones in Europe.

But even in Europe, the two are pretty dead set, and Germany has Bayern, and Italy has Juventus and Roma team that is putting all their stars up for sale.

Well, it was 0-0 the last time Inter played Lazio... Roma always sell their best players, this is nothing new. They'll dig something out of nothing next season, and then sell those players in three years. The club is now being run by the greatest DoF in world football.,

France aren't having a "golden generation". The current bunch they have is what they usually have and are not in a crisis or in the gold. They are capable of winning the World Cup but it wouldn't be a disaster if they failed to like some claim. There are no stand out players in the team and by that I mean there are none that are "the best in the world" like Germany and Spain had prior.

11 hours ago, Blue said:

France aren't having a "golden generation". The current bunch they have is what they usually have and are not in a crisis or in the gold. They are capable of winning the World Cup but it wouldn't be a disaster if they failed to like some claim. There are no stand out players in the team and by that I mean there are none that are "the best in the world" like Germany and Spain had prior.

N'golo Kante is the best midfield aggressor in the world. 

6 hours ago, Blue said:

Yeferson Soteldo could well be world class in the next 2 years.

What is world class? The best in a given position? The best XI? Being able to play for any team hypothetically? It is quite a arbitrary statement to make because positions are narrowly defined, N'golo Kante and Luka Modric are both CMs, correct? Yet they both fulfill different roles. The best XI? Who decides on the formation? 

On 24/01/2018 at 16:49, Kitchen Sales said:

The Premier League is a neo-league, completely incomparable to anything else and entering realms never seen before in the history of football. 

Aside from some of the nonsense that occured during a series of posts, it’s been a very interesting debate to be honest over the past three pages.  THIS is what makes forums BIG (especially our community) and of a substantial higher quality than social media where it’s all about quick one sentence snap trolling with no essence to it.  I’ve really enjoyed reading it to be honest!

But I’ve selected this post by Harvey because I find it intriguing if it (hopefully) isn’t one of his quick quirks he does at times that are more in tune with OxBridge humour! xD;)

Anyway... What do you mean with this exactly mate?

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Aside from some of the nonsense that occured during a series of posts, it’s been a very interesting debate to be honest over the past three pages.  THIS is what makes forums BIG (especially our community) and of a substantial higher quality than social media where it’s all about quick one sentence snap trolling with no essence to it.  I’ve really enjoyed reading it to be honest!

But I’ve selected this post by Harvey because I find it intriguing if it (hopefully) isn’t one of his quick quirks he does at times that are more in tune with OxBridge humour! xD;)

Anyway... What do you mean with this exactly mate?

The structure of the league, from about 8th downwards, is being dramatically altered as a result of this tv money. Like never seen before. The league isn't even remotely comparable to itself 3 seasons ago. If we obsess about the top 6 all the time, comparing top of the table with everyone else, we are going to think not much is going on and we'll miss the big fat elephant in the room.

Last season 8th place finished 6 points above 17th. Wtf. Before the TV deal that gap was over 20 points a year. This season, as we are about to enter February, no one would bat an eyelid if any of the bottom 11 got relegated. Wtf.

The naturally occuring compartments that form in the league have gone. Look at the other main 20 team league's, la liga and serie a right now are compartmentalised the "normal" way, the way England used to be, there is clear structure there, there was clear structure last season.

It may be the case that given time this will resolve itself. In the mean time though, the premier league is practically playing a different sport to everyone else. So I don't see how right now any comparison can be drawn across nations with England in regards to what is more competitive. We simply don't know wtf we are seeing unfold before our eyes in the Premier League.

I suspect we are seeing what shape and structure a super league would actually have. If it continues like this then at some point we have to ask ourselves do we like it or do we want to get off? 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Spike said:

N'golo Kante is the best midfield aggressor in the world. 

Possibly, but he'd be the only one.

9 hours ago, Spike said:

What is world class? The best in a given position? The best XI? Being able to play for any team hypothetically? It is quite a arbitrary statement to make because positions are narrowly defined, N'golo Kante and Luka Modric are both CMs, correct? Yet they both fulfill different roles. The best XI? Who decides on the formation? 

For me, world class is just having a game superior to everyone else. Soteldo is pissing through everyone in South America for a Chilean team. I have no doubts he'll be in Europe in 2 years time and possibly be world class by then.

• Subscriber
On 1/23/2018 at 21:03, Spike said:

Spanish football is more competitive than English football. It just doesn't look that way to outsiders looking in because they don't use the goal difference in deciding table positions so, when a team goes down 3-0, it is exactly the same as 8-0. Why waste effort on a loss?

Someone posted up a long thread of analysis about a few myths of English football against Spanish and it's actually quite scary how easily we all buy into it because it suits our agenda. The hammerings argument is bollocks as well. Pretty sure Man City have won 7-2, 5-0, 6-0 and a few more this year.

On 10/02/2018 at 03:38, Dan said:

Someone posted up a long thread of analysis about a few myths of English football against Spanish and it's actually quite scary how easily we all buy into it because it suits our agenda. The hammerings argument is bollocks as well. Pretty sure Man City have won 7-2, 5-0, 6-0 and a few more this year.

5-1 being one of them?

• 2 weeks later...

Women footballers wouldn't want it though. You could argue women kick the ball with less force and so it it moving slower. Most women goal keepers are 6 foot or so though so don't think it is necessary to be honest

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Comparisons between Arsenal's situation and lower league situations are absolutely daft.

Ha ha. Who has compared them? Someone like Paul Merson?

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Ha ha. Who has compared them? Someone like Paul Merson?

I just mean this whole "Arsenal fans complain but you try supporting Bradford City!" or comments like that. I get them to a degree but they totally miss the point for me. I don't think people grasp the idea of relativity and it works both ways.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/02/2018 at 10:26, Spike said:

Women's football should have smaller pitches and goal nets. What is the point of having the regulation size when most women goal keepers aren't the anywhere near the size of men gks?

Same in cricket their ODI's should be 35 overs long and T20's 15 overs :ph34r: otherwise we will keep on seeing one team scoring 500+ and the other collapsing on 84 

You don't have to go back very far to reach a time when the Men's game looked slow, laboured and unnatural in comparison to today's athleticism. Every era seems to have gradually increased an athletic and capability level.  

Women's football shouldn't be compared to the supplement driven mens game of today, it is more like 70's men's football.

• The title was changed to Unpopular Football Opinions