talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Football Opinions

football forum

Its easy to mistake performances for talent. They are not the same.

Something I've learned from youth coaches and in scouting, but talent and performances are 2 different things. For example, if you perform well in a poor league but don't show the proper technique or physique, then you're not exactly "talented" but rather a proper performer. Talent is showing your ability and what you are capable of, it does not always translate to good performances. That is what is needed to make the step up to bigger leagues.

If that doesn't make sense, think Jonathan Calleri and Gabriel Jesus. Calleri scored a lot more than Jesus did in South America and performed all the time, but he wasn't exactly talented. He was a player who got the job done, and when it came time to step up to a bigger league, he failed. Gabriel Jesus on the other hand, did have talent and that's why so far his spell in England has been successful for his age. He knows how to shoot with precision and is very good off the ball. That's why one player succeeded and the other one didn't. 

Also has to do with how you are being played by the manager, whether it suits your style but that's just another part of talent to me. Being tactically complete or tactically naive adds to that. One thing youth coaches have always told me, youth tournaments aren't about winning, but rather learning and showcasing your talent. Its a way to prepare you for professionality.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

‘Zidanes y Pavones' is the model that most clubs should operate. Develop your own players and only buy in special talented players to compliment them. Too many clubs seem to waste money and 'buy for depth'. 

Italian clubs especially can be guilty of this short term thinking and bring in 'cheap' experience to the detriment of young players trying to break through.

Edited by ScoRoss
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

‘Zidanes y Pavones' is the model that most clubs should operate. Develop your own players and only buy in special talented players to compliment them. Too many clubs seem to waste money and 'buy for depth'. 

Italian clubs especially can be guilty of this short term thinking and bring in 'cheap' experience to the detriment of young players trying to break through.

Where did you learn the terminology "Zidanes y Pavones"?

Thats very Spanish from Florentino's first stint as president!  But it's also very true!

6 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Where did you learn the terminology "Zidanes y Pavones"?

Thats very Spanish from Florentino's first stint as president!  But it's also very true!

I've definitely encountered the 'philosophy' in various articles and books throughout the years.

• Upvote 2

Just now, ScoRoss said:

I've definitely encountered the 'philosophy' in various articles and books throughout the years.

Indeed... It's become a football philosophy in the last 15 years. I'm. Rey pleasantly surprised and now I understand everything football about you just with using that term (a term I've wanted to use in the past but didn't because I thought nobody would've known what I was on about).

Didier Drogba is the best and greatest target-man of all time. It's an odd role, really. It requires a lot more dirty work than typical forwards, and in that I've always though ~10 per season is a good return for a target-man. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Nah, Kevin Davies

38 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Kevin Davies is a talentless shitcunt.

I was actually think about big KD when writing my post. He was clutch for Bolton, defs better than Duncan Ferguson, tbh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
39 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

This World Cup isn’t actually good in terms of quality. Entertainment wise, yes by far but quality has been thin on the ground. 

Probably not necessarily an unpopular one if you were to run a poll or something. Nobody has had a standout team at this World Cup. A lot of teams have the potential to win the tournament because they have 2-4 top class players and decent players in every position after that. This has seen some of the main contenders (I'm thinking France and Brazil in particular) pace themselves and try to get through with the least amount of effort expended possible.

There have been some quality goals but in terms of quality play yes it has been pretty limited. A lot of teams choosing to ride out pragmatic 1-0 wins as well.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Devon Von Devon said:

O.o

Care to explain ?

The La Liga title that Real won two years ago wouldn't have happened without Sergio Ramos and neither would the first of the Champions Leagues against Atlético Madrid and the first two of three in a row either.  Minus what I've said and we would have probably the poorest era in Real Madrid's history.

In essence... Sergio Ramos is the messiah of Real Madrid CF and their most influential player since Alfredo Di Stéfano.

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The La Liga title that Real won two years ago wouldn't have happened without Sergio Ramos and neither would the first of the Champions Leagues against Atlético Madrid and the first two of three in a row either.  Minus what I've said and we would have probably the poorest era in Real Madrid's history.

In essence... Sergio Ramos is the messiah of Real Madrid CF and their most influential player since Alfredo Di Stéfano.

Fair to say the last Champions League win wouldn't have happened without Ramos either :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

Just now, Burning Gold said:

Fair to say the last Champions League win wouldn't have happened without Ramos either :ph34r:

Actually that's no joke...  I genuinely add that to Sergio Ramos's out and out legend early status and not just the most influential player in Real Madrid's history, but one of the most in the history of the modern game.

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Spike said:

Kaiserslautern successive relegation, promotion, and first division win is more impressive than what Leicester did.

@nudge @Tommy Your thoughts guys?

Definitely. They did it all on their own, with their own money, and not the money from some Thai company. So it's definitely more impressive. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Definitely. They did it all on their own, with their own money, and not the money from some Thai company. So it's definitely more impressive. 

To be fair, they did have König Otto though.. That's kind of an unfair advantage :D :P 

• The title was changed to Unpopular Football Opinions