talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Football Opinions

football forum

Not really sure that this is unpopular as it seems pretty obvious but the 'Champions' League was designed purely to stop sides like Steaua Bucharest and Red Star Belgrade from winning it and ensure that Real Madrid, Barcelona etc win it virtually every year. One of many reasons why it is so fucking shite

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 13/01/2019 at 16:51, The Artful Dodger said:

Nobody should call Manchester United 'united' apart from Manchester United fans, preferably from Manchester. I've heard Newcastle and Leeds fans refer to them as United, it's pathetic. Same goes for Manchester City and 'City'.

Absolutely rancid when our fans call Manchester City 'City'.

On 13/01/2019 at 16:51, The Artful Dodger said:

Nobody should call Manchester United 'united' apart from Manchester United fans, preferably from Manchester. I've heard Newcastle and Leeds fans refer to them as United, it's pathetic. Same goes for Manchester City and 'City'.

I don't really get the big deal. If I call them City or utd to somebody and they know who I'm referring to what's the problem?

19 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Ngolo Kante being a holding midfielder is one the biggest myths in English football and every discussion that somehow poses him and Jorginho as alternatives to each other shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how football works.

giphy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

One of the things that I find weird of late is that a manager who managed 'Club A' (let's say, a relegation battling Prem side/shit Spanish side) would be unsuitable for a job at 'Club B' (one of the biggest clubs in the world) because people actually think that the two jobs are comparable in terms of finances, setup, expectations, squads etc. 

Clearly I am alluding to Solskjaer and Neville here but it happens all the time on a broader spectrum and I really don't get it. A lot more comes into the equation than "He did shit at Cardiff so obviously he will be shit at Manchester United". Do people honestly think the two jobs are in any way comparable given the vast differences in the aforementoned finances, expectations etc?

In the same way do you honestly think Klopp, Guardiola or Zidane would be winning the league with AFC Wimbledon? Course they wouldn't. They'd be well out of their depth although I reckon Klopp would do well at a club of that level given a bit of time.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Salford Kel said:

One of the things that I find weird of late is that a manager who managed 'Club A' (let's say, a relegation battling Prem side/shit Spanish side) would be unsuitable for a job at 'Club B' (one of the biggest clubs in the world) because people actually think that the two jobs are comparable in terms of finances, setup, expectations, squads etc. 

Clearly I am alluding to Solskjaer and Neville here but it happens all the time on a broader spectrum and I really don't get it. A lot more comes into the equation than "He did shit at Cardiff so obviously he will be shit at Manchester United". Do people honestly think the two jobs are in any way comparable given the vast differences in the aforementoned finances, expectations etc?

In the same way do you honestly think Klopp, Guardiola or Zidane would be winning the league with AFC Wimbledon? Course they wouldn't. They'd be well out of their depth although I reckon Klopp would do well at a club of that level given a bit of time.

Well, do you see anything tactically astute or systematically sound when you watch United under Ole? To me it looks like a team with a bunch of players who have the buzz of a new manager and are actually enjoying themselves. This honeymoon period isn't anything new. It was the same with us under DiMatteo. It was only until the next season we saw how limited he was as a manager. 

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Well, do you see anything tactically astute or systematically sound when you watch United under Ole? To me it looks like a team with a bunch of players who have the buzz of a new manager and are actually enjoying themselves. This honeymoon period isn't anything new. It was the same with us under DiMatteo. It was only until the next season we saw how limited he was as a manager. 

No, not at all. It's pretty much exactly like Paul Ince said. I just don't see what he did/didn't do at Cardiff has anything remotely to do with how he'd do at United. A honeymoon period is exactly what it is so far and probably all it ever will be. Far better than anything I've seen since Ferguson retired though

• Subscriber
On 27/01/2019 at 15:13, Inverted said:

Ngolo Kante being a holding midfielder is one the biggest myths in English football and every discussion that somehow poses him and Jorginho as alternatives to each other shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how football works.

He's a box to box midfielder with some exceptional defensive attributes. Didn't play holding midfield for us and I maintain that was his best season - that's not a dig at him at Chelsea either but he's the perfect midfielder for a low-possession side which we were.

• Subscriber
On 04/02/2019 at 17:11, Salford Kel said:

Completely utterly agreed with this. It's an incredibly narrow minded way of looking at it.

On 04/02/2019 at 17:11, Salford Kel said:

I think the thin get with solskjaer with Cardiff was from what I can remember they were doing ok,not in the relegation zone then he took over then they finished bottom. I think that was where the doubt came from. I think it is probably a bit more than a honeymoon period I think he is probably doing things we are not noticing or don't see behind the scenes. I don't agree with ince that anyone could do the same job personally.  That being said i do have doubts about how long he can keep it up. I think a top manager could do well with a small team if they have the patience but obviously they would be limited.

I think sometimes there are managers who are very good at small clubs but not suitable for big clubs. E.g. Moyes

• Subscriber
26 minutes ago, AMG said:

Both Unai Emery and Sarri are massive no-namers who shouldnt be managing London's top two biggest, most successful clubs.

No-namers is mega cringey. And it shouldn't be about being a 'namer'. 

• Upvote 1

Not really an opinion

Qatar's maiden Asian Cup title before their first ever World Cup appearance is being questioned and I'm really surprised that it's really a genuine thing for people to say that FIFA rigged the Asian Cup to justify giving the World Cup to Qatar. 

For sure their was bribing involved in Qatar getting to host the event but is that the first time or a thing to be surprised about ? Didn't Beckanbaur was also named in bribing scandals in Germany 2006.

This event was played during the Gulf Boycott of Qatar. Qataris were not allowed to attend the competition. Their national anthem was booed, shoes and bottles thrown at them in the final. UAE Saudis and their friends hold the political power in AFC and to say they bribed the Cup to Qatar in such conditions is stupid. 

And on the question that how come Qatar won their first ever international tournament now. They got the hosting rights in 2010 and after nearly a decade if they were the same side as before or even worse after spending $$$ that would have been the surprising case not the other way around. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kapisevicius said:

You can think they're not good enough to manage Arsenal or Chelsea but saying they're 'massive no-namers' is a complete nonsense. Or you're not interested in football for real. Sarri was managing succesfully one of the best Italian football club for three years before he took over Chelsea and Emery won three Europa League thropies three times in a row and Ligue 1 once.

Winning the Ligue 1 is no achievement. Anybody can do it. With PSG, that is. And never knew Europa League counts for anything. It doesnt, in my eyes atleast.

Napoli? Yeah. What did they achieve? What silverware?

9 hours ago, AMG said:

Both Unai Emery and Sarri are massive no-namers who shouldnt be managing London's top two biggest, most successful clubs.

They are by no means 'no-namers'. 

It's not like they hired a second division coach from Estonia. 

Unai did great things at a massive club in Spain (which is a more rated tougher than the EPL), and Sarri did great things in Italy (which is another massive league). 

To say they are no-namers, is a massive dis-service and makes one think you don't watch a ton of football in either Spain or Italy. 

• The title was changed to Unpopular Football Opinions