talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Football Opinions

football forum

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, AMG said:

'A no-name is an insult meaning somebody is unknown as in nobody know them, commonly used by no-names themselves'

By that logic:

1 - Emery and Sarri are not unknown and many in football do know them, so your logic is flawed. Lack of achievement in the game (by your standards) does not equate to being unknown. Many managers in the game haven't achieved much, or much less than Emery/Sarri have and are well known. I think your dislike for the 2 or ignorance of their standing in the game is clouding your judgement/opinion.
2 - You're also a no-name.

:) 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

'A no-name is an insult meaning somebody is unknown as in nobody know them, commonly used by no-names themselves'

By that logic:

1 - Emery and Sarri are not unknown and many in football do know them, so your logic is flawed. Lack of achievement in the game (by your standards) does not equate to being unknown. Many managers in the game haven't achieved much, or much less than Emery/Sarri have and are well known. I think your dislike for the 2 or ignorance of their standing in the game is clouding your judgement/opinion.
2 - You're also a no-name.

:) 

"

TOP DEFINITION

n. someone who is significantly insignificant; not entirely synonymous with the word randomer, but similar in demeanor. 

adj; synonymous with the word insignificant.
"look at that cal-o no namer!"

2 - True. Thats why they didnt hire me to manage either Arsenal or Chelsea.

• Administrator

Emery and Sarri aren't insignificant though xD 

If they hired some random from the depths of non-league you'd have a point. But these are two managers who are big names in European football at least xD 

10 minutes ago, Stan said:

Emery and Sarri aren't insignificant though xD 

If they hired some random from the depths of non-league you'd have a point. But these are two managers who are big names in European football at least xD 

Chelsea past managers:

Jose Mourinho (hired after winning the Chamions league (not the washed up Europa league)

Scolari = World Cup winner

Conte = Serie A winner

Ancelotti = 2 x Champions League winner and 1 Serie A

Rafa Benitez = Champs league winner

Vilas-Boas = okay, a bit of a no-namer, however that undefeated season at Porto and the Euopa League might have helped his reputation

Arsenal, you cant really compare, as they stuck with one for 22 years.

But surely, there are people who have accomplished more.

Such sad times that London's 3rd best club is now way higher than these established named.

• Subscriber
20 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think the thin get with solskjaer with Cardiff was from what I can remember they were doing ok,not in the relegation zone then he took over then they finished bottom. I think that was where the doubt came from. I think it is probably a bit more than a honeymoon period I think he is probably doing things we are not noticing or don't see behind the scenes. I don't agree with ince that anyone could do the same job personally.  That being said i do have doubts about how long he can keep it up. I think a top manager could do well with a small team if they have the patience but obviously they would be limited.

I think sometimes there are managers who are very good at small clubs but not suitable for big clubs. E.g. Moyes

Different skillsets for different clubs. This old adage that people come out with "Guardiola needs to prove it by managing someone like Northampton" well in my eyes, the chances are using the methods he does he would fail there. It's too simplistic to say one manager will fail at a club because he did at another. Different situations, circumstances and resources can dictate plenty.

1 hour ago, AMG said:

I know what it means, but it doesn't apply. No way were the two in question no namers. 

You mention Conte because he won the Serie A, but Sarri finished 2nd twice with a much tighter of a budget than the winners, Juventus. 

If you think you they are no-namers, then you obviously don't watch a lot of Spanish, or Italian football. 

3 hours ago, AMG said:

Chelsea past managers:

Jose Mourinho (hired after winning the Chamions league (not the washed up Europa league)

Conte = Serie A winner

Vilas-Boas = okay, a bit of a no-namer, however that undefeated season at Porto and the Euopa League might have helped his reputation

Such sad times that London's 3rd best club is now way higher than these established named.

Rafa won La Liga twice too

• Like 1

On 06/02/2019 at 16:34, AMG said:

Chelsea past managers:

Conte = Serie A winner

So the Europa League is 'washed up' but then you use it to credit AVB? 

I personally don't believe that Emery is the man to turn to if you wish to win, or even compete strongly for, a league title. His record in La Liga for Sevilla was poor and he even finished 2nd with PSG, which is utterly in my eyes. But he's hardly a nobody at the same time and is a very accomplished coach/manager. He also knows how to find a player for peanuts then turn them into a star. 

1 minute ago, The Rebel CRS said:

So the Europa League is 'washed up' but then you use it to credit AVB? 

I personally don't believe that Emery is the man to turn to if you wish to win, or even compete strongly for, a league title. His record in La Liga for Sevilla was poor and he even finished 2nd with PSG, which is utterly in my eyes. But he's hardly a nobody at the same time and is a very accomplished coach/manager. He also knows how to find a player for peanuts then turn them into a star. 

Europa league is an achievement for Porto, not the richest club.And I credited him for undefeated in the League AND Europa Cup. In the same season. Two silverware in one season is an achievement.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, AMG said:

Europa league is an achievement for Porto, not the richest club.And I credited him for undefeated in the League AND Europa Cup. In the same season. Two silverware in one season is an achievement.

But winning 3 of the same trophy in 3 consecutive seasons isn't worth anything?

• Administrator

Not like it was a small-time trophy for Sevilla, either. They're not the biggest club in Europe and still had to beat some decent teams to get to the finals (once it gets to the knockouts, anyway. Group stages are shite).

13/14 - beat Porto, Valencia, Real Betis, Benfica. In this season teams like Juve, Spurs & Napoli failed to get to the final.
14/15 - Gladbach, Villarreal, Zenit, Fiorentina. In this season, teams like Ajax, Inter, Roma failed to reach the final.
15/16 - Bilbao, Shakhtar, Liverpool. In this season, teams like Utd, Dortmund, Lazio, Tottenham, Leverkusen failed to reach the final.

What Emery did for that Sevilla side in this period was one hell of an achievement. Not just getting to 3 finals but winning them. Something like that can't just be brushed off.

17 minutes ago, AMG said:

Sevilla are rich since when? He won 3 in a row with them and did it after having to buy a new squad every season. 

8 hours ago, Dan said:

I don't think he's perfect at all but I've just got this feeling one day he'll be viewed as decent. I'd be interested to see how he does if he was actually at somewhere for a long time.

I will be amazed if he gets a job in England again once Everton bin him. Screams of a job in China followed by disappearing off the face of Football by ending up in places like Cyprus. 

• The title was changed to Unpopular Football Opinions