talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Football Opinions

football forum

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Just did a quick search for some raw data. 

The most recent Gallup survey (still two years old):

ibn7ziuxwushdqmmozoppw.png

American Football still well ahead but it seems the other three sports (basketball, baseball and soccer) are pretty even in terms of being "favourite sport to watch" for the participants of the survey at 11%, 9% and 7% respectively, they are followed by ice hockey, auto racing and tennis. Soccer is the only sport that gained popularity since the last poll. What's also interesting is how popularity of baseball seems to have dropped throughout the decades. American Football lost ground as well.

This one is an even more interesting graph: 

gallup-poll.png

It seems that soccer is the second most popular spectator sport among young adults in the age group of 18 to 34 years old (tied with basketball). Also, soccer is the third most popular sport for 35 to 54 years old and children under 18 (just 1-2% behind basketball). It's the older generation of over 55 that has no interest in the sport at all (1% only). Those findings seem to support the claims of an earlier ESPN survey that claimed that soccer is the second most popular sport in the US among those aged 12-24:

is53ygM.png

Once again, it's behind American football but above basketball (almost tied). 

Now for participation: the last year's Sports & Fitness Industry Association (SFIA) report on the number of participants in team sports in the US:

1*VYYWfwxddSElqBN5OCr3mg.png

Basketball has a clear lead here with baseball second and soccer third. American football is behind even if flag and tackle versions are counted together.

To expand on that there's also participation rates based on ethnicity:

1*oP-9No5MzWg7K5GRLf7mjA.png

Hispanics make up the highest percentage of people playing soccer in the US but only slightly ahead of Caucasian/Whites. 

When it comes to youth participation, soccer is the most popular sport for 6-9 year olds, then it loses out to basketball and is the second most popular sport in the age group of 9-13 then it's shortly overtaken by baseball but then retakes the second place at the age group of 17-18 year olds. 

1*_pecBuwa-G8UAQBuaS1rYQ.png

So, this would make me think that Soccer would be defined as popular. 

It'll be interesting to see the downfall in football that is sure to come with all the concussion issues and overall health risks. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

So it's quite popular then :D

I'll let everyone make their own conclusions :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

So, this would make me think that Soccer would be defined as popular. 

It'll be interesting to see the downfall in football that is sure to come with all the concussion issues and overall health risks. 

What made me wonder is how auto racing is soooo low at popularity rankings. I mean, the US has a huge car culture, NASCAR still has a huge following, IndyCar used to be huge and is slowly getting back there again, IMSA is gaining in popularity, F1 stepped into the market as well. Indianapolis 500 is the oldest major race in the world and part of the triple crown of motorsports; Daytona 500 is cult; and you have some amazing circuits in general. I wonder if popularity of motorsports in the US will rise again in the near future...

Just now, nudge said:

I'll let everyone make their own conclusions :ph34r:

What made me wonder is how auto racing is soooo low at popularity rankings. I mean, the US has a huge car culture, NASCAR still has a huge following, IndyCar used to be huge and is slowly getting back there again, IMSA is gaining in popularity, F1 stepped into the market as well. Indianapolis 500 is the oldest major race in the world and part of the triple crown of motorsports; Daytona 500 is cult; and you have some amazing circuits in general. I wonder if popularity of motorsports in the US will rise again in the near future...

Maybe. 

Nascar has been struggling BIG time recently with some of their major sponsors pulling out. I think some of it is because it's rather boring, and politically they basically aligned to Trump, which isn't the popular thing to do.

14 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

Classic TF365, start an argument and then play the "blame Grizzly21 card" it's getting old.

dfe1dd595e10a572e65380c21a6f8557.png

Where did I blame you?

I said this is an ignorant comment. I didnt day you were ignorant, but that what you were saying was ignorant in my opinion as I dont think you understand the culture here enough to make such a generalized comment. 

It wasnt a personal attack. 

Just now, Eco said:

Where did I blame you?

I said this is an ignorant comment. I didnt day you were ignorant, but that what you were saying was ignorant in my opinion as I dont think you understand the culture here enough to make such a generalized comment. 

It wasnt a personal attack. 

Well yes it was cos you said I was a headache even though all I had done to that point was debate my points. I don't get why you need to have such a negative reception. You are so bipolar, sometimes you like me and reply well, other times they are just attacks. Make up your damn mind - am I a good person to debate with or not. Jesus fucking christ.

Just now, Grizzly21 said:

Well yes it was cos you said I was a headache even though all I had done to that point was debate my points. I don't get why you need to have such a negative reception. You are so bipolar, sometimes you like me and reply well, other times they are just attacks. Make up your damn mind - am I a good person to debate with or not. Jesus fucking christ.

Well, I am not bipolar. I honestly have more pressing issues with a wife and kid that I dint have the energy to be mad over something said online. It's why I dont fuck with Social Media, I dont have the time or find it a good use of my energy. This is the only online presence I keep up with.

This entire going back and forth about you giving me a headache, has resulted in us talking in circles. I clearly stated why I said you give me a headache sometimes, so if you really care, go back and check it out. 

And I still dont NOT like you. I just think you are way off on this point, and your reasons for the thinking were very weak. 

Meanwhile, what nudge posted is something I would fine with hearing your thoughts on, if you have any on the data she found, because for me, that would prove its popular.

And you and Spike both didnt mention anything I said in regards to Womens football, which is the most popular womens sport in the country, and has a larger following than any other womens team in the world. 

It's pretty painful to read people trade condescending remarks to eachother, both of you are reading like pricks right now. Best just to give up and admit you are both wrong.

"Oh no you give me a headache'
'You have a vendetta against me!'

Stop being so silly.

Edited by Spike
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Spike said:

It's pretty painful to read people trade condescending remarks to eachother, both of you are reading like pricks right now. Best just to give up and admit you are both wrong.

I will happily do so.

I am not of those people that will disappear when proven wrong unlike some others. However, I will not allow myself to be made out like a fucking idiot either. I'm more prideful than that.

12 minutes ago, Spike said:

"Oh no you give me a headache'
'You have a vendetta against me!'

Stop being so silly.

I think this is something that we are ALL guilty on this forum. 

1 minute ago, Grizzly21 said:

I will happily do so.

I am not of those people that will disappear when proven wrong unlike some others. However, I will not allow myself to be made out like a fucking idiot either. I'm more prideful than that.

If you referring to me, I have a wife and (almost 2 year old) daughter, I have moments of that I'm not online to tend to more important matters. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

If you referring to me, I have a wife and (almost 2 year old) daughter, I have moments of that I'm not online to tend to more important matters. 

No, I am referring to lots of people on here. Actually I think you're one of the better cases. Others are absolutely awful when it comes to this. You already know one member I immediately think of.

I know it's not important but if someone is going to critique me, only for then to be proven wrong, don't be a pussy and actually admit you are wrong. I will happily do so. I am admittedly guilty to this in the past but I try to be as fair as possible. I can be stubborn in honesty but it's more because I'm not a fucking idiot and knows what I'm talking about 99% of the time. I don't blurt out stupid remarks for the sake of doing so.

5 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

I will happily do so.

1 minute ago, Eco said:

I think both of you need to realise that writing in text is very easily misconstrued, and without due diligence a harmless statement can seem very aggressive. I should know this, because I have to edit my posts a lot because I read what I've posted and think to myself 'wow that seems a bit too much'. It seems to me that the two of you weren't even on the same page in that discussion, and it just heated up because of of poor sentence structuring.

I'd also like to point out the difference in reaction to my post, Brian accepted my criticism personally and Lucas deflected it unto the rest of forum. I was talking about you two but we can easily talk about me or other people if you like, I don't mind. I don't see it particularly constructive to the two of you but I'm sure it would clear the air. From an outside party it wasn't a particularly good discussion, it seemed kind of petty with both people trying to be 'right' over being sincere. Maybe I read it wrong but it was never really a discussion I'm interested in before being dragged into it, especially since it is such a difficult subject to quantify and leans more to the personal experiences and interpretations.

This is me coming from the best of places to two users that seem particularly emotional when the discuss subject they are passionate to.

To be honest, I didn't want it to get heated but I just kept getting attacked and attacked. I'll admit I went overboard in some cases and I agree with you, best to just take the criticism and move on. Nobody should be the victim in this situation.

4 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

I know it's not important but if someone is going to critique me, only for then to be proven wrong, don't be a pussy and actually admit you are wrong. I will happily do so. I am admittedly guilty to this in the past but I try to be as fair as possible. I can be stubborn in honesty but it's more because I'm not a fucking idiot and knows what I'm talking about 99% of the time. I don't blurt out stupid remarks for the sake of doing so.

Do you honestly think I was proven wrong? 

I only critiqued your views because you were basing it on Toronto FC fans (Which isn't the USA), and Social Media. 

I was saying that I think that's way wrong based on what I see here in Atlanta, in Columbus, what's going on in LA, and the cult following our Women's team has. 

I think nudge has a point if this conversation is one that will continue, and that is what defines popular? I certainly see Soccer as popular here based on what I said above. Now, if you live in Montana or even Chicago, you might think differently. But even in the major cities like Chicago, you have a load of EPL fans that just don't give two shits about the Fire. 

I talked about attendance being so high, but you and others said that you don't think that's a fair argument. I'm not sure why, and maybe I missed it, but that's fine. 

Nudge posted facts showing how much it's growing and it actually taking over some of the more 'major' sports in America in terms of viewership. 

So, if you don't count viewership, and don't count attendance, I'm not sure who you could ever define what 'popular' really means. If do you count both, then I think it's clear that soccer (not just the MLS), is popular here in America. 

• Like 1

Just now, Eco said:

Do you honestly think I was proven wrong? 

I only critiqued your views because you were basing it on Toronto FC fans (Which isn't the USA), and Social Media. 

I was saying that I think that's way wrong based on what I see here in Atlanta, in Columbus, what's going on in LA, and the cult following our Women's team has. 

I think nudge has a point if this conversation is one that will continue, and that is what defines popular? I certainly see Soccer as popular here based on what I said above. Now, if you live in Montana or even Chicago, you might think differently. But even in the major cities like Chicago, you have a load of EPL fans that just don't give two shits about the Fire. 

I talked about attendance being so high, but you and others said that you don't think that's a fair argument. I'm not sure why, and maybe I missed it, but that's fine. 

Nudge posted facts showing how much it's growing and it actually taking over some of the more 'major' sports in America in terms of viewership. 

So, if you don't count viewership, and don't count attendance, I'm not sure who you could ever define what 'popular' really means. If do you count both, then I think it's clear that soccer (not just the MLS), is popular here in America. 

The debate is long gone. Just accept that you went overboard like I did and move on.

@Grizzly21  Brian I don't mean to be horrible but you say you get attacked. But @Stan and @Eco are perfectly reasonable members.  Maybe you could perhaps consider that you escalate things sometimes. I don't mean to sound disrespectful it's just some advice because this doesn't happen to all members on here but but it seems to be a pattern with you. 

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Grizzly21  Brian I don't mean to be horrible but you say you get attacked. But @Stan and @Eco are perfectly reasonable members.  Maybe you could perhaps consider that you escalate things sometimes. I don't mean to sound disrespectful it's just some advice because this doesn't happen to all members on here but but it seems to be a pattern with you. 

Why does it always have to be my fault?

Everyone is at fault. Just cos you think some people are "reasonable members" doesn't mean they don't attack people or speak out of their arse sometimes.

Tiresome now.

5 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

The debate is long gone. Just accept that you went overboard like I did and move on.

Is it? I didn't get that memo. 

You brought up the topic, and as someone who is close to Soccer to America, I stood against your opinion, and felt like my questions and such were never answered. 

I'll apologize if you think I was attacking you, because never was that my intention. But again, if you are going to say something, particular in this thread, and even preface it with saying that it's unpopular on here, then it should come to no surprise that people are going to go against you on it. And going against you and disagreeing with you is not the same as attacking you. 

4 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

Why does it always have to be my fault?

Everyone is at fault. Just cos you think some people are "reasonable members" doesn't mean they don't attack people or speak out of their arse sometimes.

Tiresome now.

Because it is a repeat patern with you. Your very intolerant of people with other opinions.  I voted your member of the year last year so clearly I don't have any vendetta against you I'm just saying what I have noticed

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, Eco said:

Is it? I didn't get that memo. 

You brought up the topic, and as someone who is close to Soccer to America, I stood against your opinion, and felt like my questions and such were never answered. 

I'll apologize if you think I was attacking you, because never was that my intention. But again, if you are going to say something, particular in this thread, and even preface it with saying that it's unpopular on here, then it should come to no surprise that people are going to go against you on it. And going against you and disagreeing with you is not the same as attacking you. 

Whatever you say. I got past my pride for this situation, but I also don't think I did anything wrong to apologize, at least not yet.

Hi @Eco

youre a decent bloke and let’s both forgive each other for yesterday getting heated. I stand by that you shouldn’t have gotten a “headache” from me just simply debating but I also apologize for stooping down to me saying similar things.

Hope all is good pal.

Brian reacts exactly how people expect him to yet don't really change their approach to him. Sometimes you can look at others to change, and sometimes you have to look at yourself to change. It's kinda like clockwork, Brian reacts exactly the same way everytime, and people dialogue with him the same everytime. I don't think anyone's at fault for it because everyone expects Brian to change and he expects everyone to change. It goes around, around, around.

• The title was changed to Unpopular Football Opinions