talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Football Opinions

football forum

Just now, Mpache said:

He’s been better than Falcao for a while. Since 2016 I’d argue. I’ve even seen Colombians claim they rather have Paolo over him. 

I don’t know why we’re even having this argument. I highly doubt you follow him regularly like I do.

Another vague claim about people thinking highly of Guerrero.

I have no pleasure in putting someone who is clearly an idol of yours down, but you don't help yourself.

25 minutes ago, Mpache said:

He's still by far the best player in the America's at club level

@El Profesor

Just now, Machado said:

I have no pleasure in putting someone who is clearly an idol of yours down, but you don't help yourself.

@El Profesor

Mate, if there’s something I can tell you about Colombians is that they can’t stomach being told that they are worse than Peru. They don’t even like being told that any of our players can get into their 11, so for a few of them to tell me a few years ago they prefer Guerrero over their star striker of this century is something. They even prefer Zapata, even before his recent transformation. So it’s not really a debate.

Again you could argue all day, but the reason we think the way we do is because we know what we see. Europeans on the other hand dismiss anyone outside of Europe, and you’re showing it clearly admitting “Paolo was never good”. I can get the argument that he isn’t a top player, even in Brazil. But to say he was never good is borderline delusional as he’s a national hero in a country that has had better players.

9 minutes ago, Mpache said:

He’s been better than Falcao for a while. Since 2016 I’d argue. I’ve even seen Colombians claim they rather have Paolo over him. 

I don’t know why we’re even having this argument. I highly doubt you follow him regularly like I do.

What the 2016/17 season where Falcao was a mainstay in a Monaco team that won the league with 90 odd points and reached the CL semis scoring 30 in 43 games. That was after blowing his ACL and having two bad stints in England as well. Guerrero could only dream of accomplishing something like that. 

• Administrator

I don't get how being Peru's best striker automatically makes you world class. Or that 'schooling' a couple of world class defenders in international games also makes you world class/elite level. Is that what's being discussed here?

It's similar to saying Joel Campbell is one of the best strikers ever for Costa Rica because he managed to 'school' Godin and helped beat Uruguay 3-1 in one game. But does that make Joel Campbell 'world class', doing it on an international level? Didn't do much at Arsenal, travelled around Europe season by season and I couldn't even tell you where he is now. 

Think it's time for me to wrap it up. The goalposts are being moved too much. First he doesn't score enough goals, then he scores as many goals as some shite Trinidadian. Then us South Americans are like flat earthers and have no say in the matter. I'm bored now. 

Once it becomes a bloodbath, its time to shut it off, and it did a while ago.

If the twenty teams in the premier league held a draft for any player in the world, to a squad limit of 25 (and meeting the squad registration quotas); Paolo Guerrero wouldn't be picked. That is 500 picks, just so you know.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Spike said:

I've haven't read anything about what Paolo Guerrero actually does. He doens't score many goals, so what then?

I mean, I could easily answer that, but what’s the point. No one will believe me and they’ll always resort to some excuse. Just not worth my effort despite me being much more qualified to talk about him than anyone else on here.

Edited by Mpache

1 minute ago, Mpache said:

I mean, I could easily answer that, but what’s the point. No one will believe me and they’ll always resort to some excuse. Just not worth my effort despite me being much more qualified to talk about him than anyone else.

Maybe if you did answer that, people would believe you. Who would believe you when you only talk about two games at little depth? 'He schooled Silva and Godin' and, what does that matter? Even mediocrity has good games

Edited by Spike

Just now, Spike said:

Maybe if you did answer that, people would believe you. Who would believe you when you only talk about two games at little depth?

Because I have said traits like this in the past, and was still laughed off. Patterns my friend.

Ill answer though. He’s a strong forward with amazing hold up play and knows how to create chances for himself. He can also put in a great cross into the box and his heading ability is superb. If there’s a weak point it’s his pace (I mean he’s 36 to be fair) and his finishing. It’s not horrendous mind you but it’s not that of an elite striker and that’s what separates him between the likes of Cavani and prime Falcao. 

Also he’s a born leader. He’s definitely the best captain in South America besides arguably David Luiz or Mascherano.

His lack of goals I put down to lacklustre finishing. He’s composed as a striker can be but his aim is weak. Always hits the keeper.

Just now, Mpache said:

Because I have said traits like this in the past, and was still laughed off. Patterns my friend.

Ill answer though. He’s a strong forward with amazing hold up play and knows how to create chances for himself. He can also put in a great cross into the box and his heading ability is superb. If there’s a weak point it’s his pace (I mean he’s 36 to be fair) and his finishing. It’s not horrendous mind you but it’s not that of an elite striker and that’s what separates him between the likes of Cavani and prime Falcao. 

Also he’s a born leader. He’s definitely the best captain in South America besides arguably David Luiz or Mascherano.

His lack of goals I put down to lacklustre finishing. He’s composed as a striker can be but his aim is weak. Always hits the keeper.

You see, I doubt anyone will disagree with that, because you haven't tacked on any controversial non-related opinion (like X is overrated)

Just now, Spike said:

You see, I doubt anyone will disagree with that, because you haven't tacked on any controversial non-related opinion (like X is overrated)

They’ll just bring up how he wasn’t great at Hamburg or that he was at his best in 4th tier Germany. Simply false shite that isn’t really relevant to his ability in 2020. Just read back at the thread, I’m fairly confident when I say he’s a top 5 Striker in the continent. Not blinded, I just say what I see.

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Is this not something that holds you back as a striker? Not just for Guerrero, but any striker in the world? 

For most strikers in the world, you'll be judged on your goals. 

I do get the point that there are different kinds of strikers these days - Firmino is a prime example. Okazaki in 15/16 for Leicester. Those that do the dirty work. But, taking that 15/16 season in to account as the perfect example - who, that's not a Leicester fan, really remembers Okazaki's shifts that he puts in? People remember Vardy cos of the goals.

17 hours ago, Stan said:

Is this not something that holds you back as a striker? Not just for Guerrero, but any striker in the world? 

For most strikers in the world, you'll be judged on your goals. 

I do get the point that there are different kinds of strikers these days - Firmino is a prime example. Okazaki in 15/16 for Leicester. Those that do the dirty work. But, taking that 15/16 season in to account as the perfect example - who, that's not a Leicester fan, really remembers Okazaki's shifts that he puts in? People remember Vardy cos of the goals.

Yes, I’m aware of that. Hence the term “underappreciated” which can go for anyone. It’s hard to say if Firmino will be remembered by the non-Liverpool fans too. In Paolo’s case, he balanced his goals well with the rest of his game, so he will be remembered decades along the line for Peru. In Brazil it might be a different story.

On 27/07/2020 at 07:47, Machado said:

@El Profesor

I don´t think that Guerrero is clearly the best player in the Americas. 

I mean, I think he´s in the conversation and is certainly a top 10 but in brazilain football, for example, the likes of Everton Cebolinha, Gabigol, Arrascaeta, Bruno Henrique would also deserve consideration. 

2 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I don´t think that Guerrero is clearly the best player in the Americas. 

I mean, I think he´s in the conversation and is certainly a top 10 but in brazilain football, for example, the likes of Everton Cebolinha, Gabigol, Arrascaeta, Bruno Henrique would also deserve consideration. 

I don't think Gabigol is anywhere near him, tbh. He scores a lot more but has failed everytime he's been at a higher standard. Be it in Europe or for Brazil. Even Guerrero's stint in Europe was better than his.

Arrascaeta isn't as good either, but different positions.

Everton Cebolinha is a great shout though.

2 minutes ago, Mpache said:

I don't think Gabigol is anywhere near him, tbh. He scores a lot more but has failed everytime he's been at a higher standard. Be it in Europe or for Brazil. Even Guerrero's stint in Europe was better than his.

Arrascaeta isn't as good either, but different positions.

Everton Cebolinha is a great shout though.

I feel like Gabigol´s failed stint in Europe has more to do with maturity than to talent. But yes, he´s got a lot to prove at the highest level. 

Guerrero is a great player and I think he´s in the conversation, but in my opinion you could name other players who deserve consideration. Gignac and Pavón in North America perhaps? 

Just now, El Profesor said:

I feel like Gabigol´s failed stint in Europe has more to do with maturity than to talent. But yes, he´s got a lot to prove at the highest level. 

Guerrero is a great player and I think he´s in the conversation, but in my opinion you could name other players who deserve consideration. Gignac and Pavón in North America perhaps? 

Definitely not Pavon. He hasn't been a great player for LA Galaxy (at least from what I've seen).

The ones in conversation are Vela, Gignac, Everton, Juanfer Quintero and after the last season, Tevez.

I feel only Vela, Juanfer and Everton really come close to him though.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Here's one - I think Nuno Espirito Santo is overrated.

I don't think he's done badly, but I think he's been a huge beneficiary of Wolves' link up with Jorge Mendes (as well as being a client himself). He has by no means done badly but I don't think what Wolves have done is due to any kind of managerial genius, and more simply because they have been handed brilliant players.

• Subscriber
On 27/07/2020 at 04:20, Cicero said:

He blows hot and cold, but he’s very consistent in the final third if that makes sense. Lethal finisher for a midfielder. Type of player that will have a bad game but will still nick a goal. 

I think he's good, don't get me wrong, but I feel like there's almost an agenda to the way people rate him nowadays and so many comments are to fit a preconceived narrative. For example he got man of the match against us on Sunday and what the fuck did he do bar score a penalty? I think he's 100% been a good influence on them but he's getting all of the credit, a few of their other players I think deserve a bit more than they're getting.

I'd say what the biggest reason for their upturn is but I'll be called a conspiracy theorist.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

I think he's good, don't get me wrong, but I feel like there's almost an agenda to the way people rate him nowadays and so many comments are to fit a preconceived narrative. For example he got man of the match against us on Sunday and what the fuck did he do bar score a penalty? I think he's 100% been a good influence on them but he's getting all of the credit, a few of their other players I think deserve a bit more than they're getting.

I'd say what the biggest reason for their upturn is but I'll be called a conspiracy theorist.

It's lots of penaltys. You can say it. 

• Upvote 1