talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Football Opinions

football forum

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Manchester United and Chelsea should effectively throw their Europa League games in August. They’ve both got Champions League football next season and given the short turnaround between then and the restart of the Premier League, theres little point to them taking part. 

Not sure they'll be keen on that! They'll probably want momentum going in to next season and although there's a short turnaround, they are going to be given extra rest before the actual start of the Premier League. 

I doubt there's little point to them taking part. Man Utd have a chance to win some silverware and I doubt they'll take EL lightly. Chelsea will probably go out against Bayern in their CL tie anyway. 

18 minutes ago, Stan said:

Not sure they'll be keen on that! They'll probably want momentum going in to next season and although there's a short turnaround, they are going to be given extra rest before the actual start of the Premier League. 

I doubt there's little point to them taking part. Man Utd have a chance to win some silverware and I doubt they'll take EL lightly. Chelsea will probably go out against Bayern in their CL tie anyway. 

Their first team players wouldn’t (and shouldn’t be anywhere near) the Europa League now they’re in the Champions League and looking at a season of approx 50 games before anyone goes to the Euros. 

Bin it. Get them rested and concentrate on next season and retaining Champions League football for a second consecutive season. 

• 3 weeks later...

IMG-20200815-213744.jpg

How common is writing off players because of their nationality ? There was a debate over here about Keylor Navas about this. I think some clubs if had a player from that nation before and didn't had a good experience aren't open minded to future players from there, despite their talent

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, CityTheBest said:

The CL is a farce this season and should have been scrapped. The eventual won't be considered a European Champion in most people eye's.

Everything you come out with on here is an unpopular opinion. The eventual winner of the CL will still be European champion as they've earnt it. 

• Upvote 2

On 15/08/2020 at 12:54, Azeem said:

IMG-20200815-213744.jpg

How common is writing off players because of their nationality ? There was a debate over here about Keylor Navas about this. I think some clubs if had a player from that nation before and didn't had a good experience aren't open minded to future players from there, despite their talent

Anyone who says nationality discrimination doesn't exist is deluding themselves.

- Pedro Gallese said that he got kicked off Veracruz for not being Mexican

- Agents have come out and said that they've sold off bad Brazilians to good clubs over their better clients

- Agents have complained about how nobody would give clients a chance if they are from El Salvador or somewhere obscure

- Specifically in Brazil, they prefer to play Brazilians because they have more resell value.

- Now Bartomeu admitting Davies didn't sign for being Canadian.

This whole myth that clubs being professional just for having the "professional" tag is stupid, because they DO discriminate over other nationalities.

This is an official agent complaining about it. Because it exists.

• Subscriber
On 28/08/2020 at 16:36, El Profesor said:

- Nélson Semedo is an above average right-back and he will be an important player for Barcelona in their rebuild. 

- Ante Rebic is a world-class forward.

How does Semedo get in Portugal's side over Ricardo? This isn't even my bias but he's top drawer, it's scandalous he's not starting for them.

I also like Rebic.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Dan said:

How does Semedo get in Portugal's side over Ricardo? This isn't even my bias but he's top drawer, it's scandalous he's not starting for them.

I also like Rebic.

Totally forgot Portugal had also Ricardo Pereira at that position. 

I'm not sure why, perhaps because Semedo plays for Barcelona? 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Totally forgot Portugal had also Ricardo Pereira at that position. 

I'm not sure why, perhaps because Semedo plays for Barcelona? 

Probably. I say with confidence he's better than Semedo.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Lampard has about 10-15 games to keep his job. 

I'd disagree with this one. Even though he's spent an absolute fortune, you'd hope that the Chelsea board appreciate that it could take a while for his new players to gel together, especially with a lack of proper pre-season and the fact they might have to completely shuffle around their system to try and accommodate everyone to get the best out of them. I think Lampard has built some solid goodwill from the Chelsea fans so far, securing them top four and his inclusion of younger players into the squad - I think he's continued that by giving them arguably their most exciting Summer in years, so I think he'll get at least another season to try and establish Chelsea as proper contenders.

1 minute ago, Dan said:

I agree with Smiley. Imagine he's 10th after 15 games. I think he's out. Chelsea are ruthless like that.

Oh I agree they can be ruthless, but I think in the case of Lampard they could wind up being more lenient in terms of expectations for the opening half of the campaign at least. He's not an experienced manager, and has a lot of new players to manage and tinker with. Even though I think Chelsea would've splurged anyway after their transfer ban, but to back Lampard as they have done in the market shows me that they do have trust in him. Also worth keeping in mind these are his players to sign underneath his playing style for the upcoming season, and should they decide to blow it all up and get somebody else in to try and clean up the damage, that could also backfire spectacularly. 

Questions would need to be asked if this team could create the 2nd most chances in the league (Abraham, Mount, Pulisic, Willian, Jorginho, Kovacic) and not see substantial improvement with this team (Werner, Havertz, Pulisic, Ziyech, Mount, Kante) 

3 minutes ago, Tepmz said:

Oh I agree they can be ruthless, but I think in the case of Lampard they could wind up being more lenient in terms of expectations for the opening half of the campaign at least. He's not an experienced manager, and has a lot of new players to manage and tinker with. Even though I think Chelsea would've splurged anyway after their transfer ban, but to back Lampard as they have done in the market shows me that they do have trust in him. Also worth keeping in mind these are his players to sign underneath his playing style for the upcoming season, and should they decide to blow it all up and get somebody else in to try and clean up the damage, that could also backfire spectacularly. 

It's also bad PR sacking their highest scorer of all time.

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

It's also bad PR sacking their highest scorer of all time.

True. I still think they'd 100% do it if they were completely going to shit, but maybe I'm speaking optimistically about him because I think Chelsea will have a really solid season. Although it's probably a curse to suggest a Chelsea manager will be given time, I think with Lampard he's a bit of an exception to the normal rule.