Jump to content
talkfootball365
  • Welcome!

    Tired of Kevins and Karens on Facebook and other social media platforms?

    Our forum is completely focused on football and moderated to keep discussions civil. Sound good? Sign up!

Unpopular Football Opinions


football forum
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Big bop lefties I can think of off the top of my head

Riise, Bobby Carlos, Robben.... Yeah, they're not special by quantity.

Adriano.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sign up to remove this ad.
On 22/10/2021 at 14:35, Gunnersauraus said:

Why though? I mean if a team gets a penalty they want the player most likely to score to take it? 

I can see the logic in having the player fouled in the box (and possibly having an opportunity to score denied) being the same person to take the penalty. But also a rule like this would mean  people who are shit at penalties just being hacked down in the box constantly xD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think there is a fundamental problem with penalties in that a lot of the penalty box isn't actually a super-dangerous position, attacking-wise. The corners of the box especially are pretty harmless areas. I'm not good enough at trigonometry to work it out, but the corners of the 18-yard box must be a good bit further than 18 yards away, because it's box-shaped.

A semi-circular 18-yard area with the whole area being at most 18 yards away would probably be a more logical penalty area. But it would be too radical a change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To gain a penalty, the foul, by definition, doesn't have to be in a 'super-dangerous' position. You can score goals from any part of the box, but also create crosses or chances which lead to goals. Where you get fouled in the box shouldn't dictate whether it's enough of a problem to be a penalty or not?

The penalty area is pre-defined and everyone knows if you commit a foul inside it, you give away a penalty. Drill down in to that further and have certain areas where you define as 'super dangerous' or just 'dangerous' and you ironically go in to dangerous territory as to how the game is played. It becomes worse in terms of scrutiny of the laws of the game comparatively to what VAR does. 

Changing the shape of the penalty area only moves the problem (which isn't actually a problem). It is actually 18 yards anyway. Both to either side of the goal and from the goalline outwards. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Stan said:

To gain a penalty, the foul, by definition, doesn't have to be in a 'super-dangerous' position. You can score goals from any part of the box, but also create crosses or chances which lead to goals. Where you get fouled in the box shouldn't dictate whether it's enough of a problem to be a penalty or not?

The penalty area is pre-defined and everyone knows if you commit a foul inside it, you give away a penalty. Drill down in to that further and have certain areas where you define as 'super dangerous' or just 'dangerous' and you ironically go in to dangerous territory as to how the game is played. It becomes worse in terms of scrutiny of the laws of the game comparatively to what VAR does. 

Changing the shape of the penalty area only moves the problem (which isn't actually a problem). It is actually 18 yards anyway. Both to either side of the goal and from the goalline outwards. 

I haven't needed to work this out since high school, but I think if you draw a straight diagonal line from the goal to the corner of the penalty box, it is more than 18 yards. The diagonals are longer than the sides in squares. I think.

An actual 18-yard area would be roughly semi-circular. It would cut-off the corners, essentially. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Inverted said:

I haven't needed to work this out since high school, but I think if you draw a straight diagonal line from the goal to the corner of the penalty box, it is more than 18 yards. The diagonals are longer than the sides in squares. I think.

An actual 18-yard area would be roughly semi-circular. It would cut-off the corners, essentially. 

 

7 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Inverted is correct, the distance is just over 25 yards from near post to corner of the box I believe. 
It's what old mate Pythagoras tells me anyway.  

No. 

 

You go in a straight direction (not diagonal) from any part of the goal line out towards the pitch. 18 yards takes you to the edge of the box. 

From either side of the goal, go 18 yards out towards the corner flag and you get to the edge of the box. 

You're doing 18 yards from the centre of the goal in which case you're right. But that's not how the 18 yard box is measured. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Stan said:

 

No. 

 

You go in a straight direction (not diagonal) from any part of the goal line out towards the pitch. 18 yards takes you to the edge of the box. 

From either side of the goal, go 18 yards out towards the corner flag and you get to the edge of the box. 

You're doing 18 yards from the centre of the goal in which case you're right. But that's not how the 18 yard box is measured. 

Yes. From the post to the CORNER of the 18 yard box is just over 25 yards. That's how squares work. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep, you're measuring from the wrong spot. You don't measure from the goalpost diagonally to that corner of the box. 

The rest of your drawings are fine so you get some marks for that :P

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yep, you're measuring from the wrong spot. You don't measure from the goalpost diagonally to that corner of the box. 

The rest of your drawings are fine so you get some marks for that :P

 

THE RED LINE IS THE GOAL LINE.

I'm going to explain this really simply, before you become a legendary whooper like the liverpool guy who thought dinosaurs were a hoax. 
The distance from the goal POST to the edge of the box towards the corner flag is 18 yards. 
The distance from the goal POST to the edge of the box towards the half way line is 18 yards. 
This creates an 18 by 18 square. With the goal post being one corner of the square, and the corner of the box being the opposite corner. 

The distance between 2 corners of a square is calculated as the square root of (side a squared + side b squared) 
Those distances are both equal so we're looking for the square root of 18^2 +18^2, or even simpler, 18 sqrt 2.

This is 25.46 yards. 

You can do this at home with a ruler/pen/your dick. Draw a square, measure the side, then measure it corner to corner. It's longer corner to corner. Simples. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know how to measure and what to measure you melt xD 

No one cares about the yardage between 2 corners of the square you've drawn out though. So you're just making an issue out of nothing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Inverted said:

I haven't needed to work this out since high school, but I think if you draw a straight diagonal line from the goal to the corner of the penalty box, it is more than 18 yards.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

 

No. 

 

You go in a straight direction (not diagonal) from any part of the goal line out towards the pitch. 18 yards takes you to the edge of the box. 

From either side of the goal, go 18 yards out towards the corner flag and you get to the edge of the box. 

You're doing 18 yards from the centre of the goal in which case you're right. But that's not how the 18 yard box is measured. 

 

You're a melt. It was literally the crux of the issue. 

Though I think you misunderstood inverted. 

Edited by Devil-Dick Willie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

You're a melt. It was literally the crux of the issue. 

Though I think you misunderstood inverted. 

Guilty as charged, but also happy to blame him for starting this. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think there should be retrospective bans for divers, and VAR should more often impose penalties on those found guilty of trying to trick the system. 

If you go down under light/no contact and appeal for a penalty, you should get a yellow card, kept on a separate record to your other yellows. 2 in a season and you get a 1 match ban. 3? 2 match ban and so on. 

These should be carried across all UEFA competitions. So a premier league player who commits an offence in the league, then later in Europe, will miss their next game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/10/2021 at 17:15, Devil-Dick Willie said:

There seems to be a prevailing sentiment currently that Timo Werner was some sort of strike machine at RB. That he was a feared predator. 

He scored 1 in 3 chances on a good day at RB. 

That's probably why he was sold for 45+ million, instead of the 70+ million that Havertz went for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Khan of TF365 said:

The player who assists should be mentioned with the goalscorer on the scoreline like in cricket where caught and bowled is mentioned.

 

I've noticed this on score update sites. Been doing it for ages.

Match of the Day has started to do it for the last couple of seasons too. Same for the updates on BBC's website. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I probably said this here before but not sure.

Super cups are stupid and those trophies should not be counted by any big clubs if they have any shame. You dont win a trophy by playing one match, that would be a friendly cup if anything.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

football forum
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...