talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Football Opinions

football forum

Young players are overpriced. 

The market inefficiency which mid-size and small clubs should explore is players in the 25-30 years range, especially those playing out of the big 5 leagues.

This is what Atalanta does and more teams should follow their lead.

Edited by El Profesor
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

The market inefficiency which mid-size and small clubs should explore is players in the 25-30 years range, especially those playing out of the big 5 leagues.

Atalanta sells young players like clockwork and have done so for years.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
Just now, El Profesor said:

The market inefficiency which mid-size and small clubs should explore is players in the 25-30 years range playing out of the big 5 leagues.

Or younger ones from clubs outside of those leagues. There are some proper gems if you look hard enough.

A case in point being us signing a 23y/o Riyad Mahrez from a Ligue 2 Le Havre in 2014. Or a 24y/o Ngolo Kante from Caen (who had just been promoted to Ligue 1) in 2015.  

It does depend on how far a club is willing to send their scouts, and how extensive those scouting 'missions' are. I don't know about other clubs (but I suspect they are the same/similar) but our ethos is to identify a player and scout them for a very long time (about a year in some cases). We did so with Cambiasso and ended up getting him on a free for a season.

The trouble for big clubs is they have an expectation to spend big, and sometimes for marketing purposes which is sad in itself as it shows the state of the game these days. But it's funny when a smaller club spends more to try and show some ambition anyway, they're criticised for it, mainly by the media. Can't upset the big-club apple-cart monopoly can we!

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Atalanta sells young players like clockwork and have done so for years.

They're really smart at identifying talent and using market inefficiencies at their advantage.

Atalanta sells young players at a premium, they mostly use the young players to make cash, like Kulusevski. And they build their squad buying undervalued  players in the 25-30 age range.

If I'm not wrong, the average age of their squad last season was above 28 years old.

15 minutes ago, Stan said:

Or younger ones from clubs outside of those leagues. There are some proper gems if you look hard enough.

A case in point being us signing a 23y/o Riyad Mahrez from a Ligue 2 Le Havre in 2014. Or a 24y/o Ngolo Kante from Caen (who had just been promoted to Ligue 1) in 2015.  

It does depend on how far a club is willing to send their scouts, and how extensive those scouting 'missions' are. I don't know about other clubs (but I suspect they are the same/similar) but our ethos is to identify a player and scout them for a very long time (about a year in some cases). We did so with Cambiasso and ended up getting him on a free for a season.

The trouble for big clubs is they have an expectation to spend big, and sometimes for marketing purposes which is sad in itself as it shows the state of the game these days. But it's funny when a smaller club spends more to try and show some ambition anyway, they're criticised for it, mainly by the media. Can't upset the big-club apple-cart monopoly can we!

I agree. The league impacts in the price of a player. Also, @Mpache has a point when he says nationality affects the evaluation of players.

Brazilian young players at any of the big 12 clubs, for example, are way too overpriced. Mid-size and small european clubs in this case, should put more effort in identifying talent in other south american countries ir at smaller brazilian teams.

Real Madrid bought Reinier for 30 million euros and they had to loan him to Dortmund because they're not sure of what they've really got in Reinier. Nobody knows, actually. He barely played at the profissional level. I mean, this is not a very smart use of money. Real can get away with it, but mid-size and small clubs don't and this is why I think they should look for different profiles of player. 

Edited by El Profesor

32 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

They're really smart at identifying talent and using market inefficiencies at their advantage.

Atalanta sells young players at a premium, they mostly use the young players to make cash, like Kulusevski. And they build their squad buying undervalued  players in the 25-30 age range.

If I'm not wrong, the average age of their squad last season was above 28 years old.

Yeah they made near 50mill on a player with one season's experience. Pretty clever really, I don't even know how Juve can afford it all

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Yeah they made near 50mill on a player with one season's experience. Pretty clever really, I don't even know how Juve can afford it all

The Kulusevski signing was one of the few good moves Juve has done in recent times. 

They are quickly repeating Barcelona's steps. I mean, look at these salaries. ( This is from Gazzetta dello Sport.)

IMG_20200902_163418.jpg

Edited by El Profesor

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

The Kulusevski signing was one of the few good moves Juve has done in recent times. 

They are quickly repeating Barcelona's steps. I mean, look at these salaries.

There is no way de SCOGLIO earns that much. Who is his agent? Raiola?

22 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I'm not sure who his agent is, but I believe in these figures. Juve has been trying to offload him for years and never found a taker.

This is a disaster.

You'll notice that is is all pear shaped after Giuseppe Marrotta left, and that Inter's transfers have been much more positive since he joined them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Eco said:

Pity Martinez will never become elite. Despite being the South American POTY, he has failed miserably in Atlanta and is now being shipped to KSA.

He was never that good to begin with, why I don't take these awards that seriously. They do mean something but don't speak for the quality of a player.

1 hour ago, Eco said:

Pity Martinez will never become elite. Despite being the South American POTY, he has failed miserably in Atlanta and is now being shipped to KSA.

99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of players won't become elite. There are probably like five actually elite players at any given moment.

Just now, Spike said:

99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of players won't become elite. There are probably like five actually elite players at any given moment.

I would consider most footballers in the top leagues "Elite" Its your line to draw though I guess.

Just now, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I would consider most footballers in the top leagues "Elite" Its your line to draw though I guess.

I think of the best of the best. So Messi, Neuer, Cristiano, Ramos, as players that instantly come to mind. Blokes that literally stand on their own with their personalities, achievements, and dedication.