talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Football Opinions

football forum

3 hours ago, Salford Kel said:

Napoli's best ever player was Argy ffs but that's because Maradona was the greatest footballer of all time and played for Napoli in their most successful period

Its a weird case. I'd love to see Napoli play with mostly Italians but in their case, most of their legends are foreign. Maradona, Careca, and Hamsik the 3 prime examples. There we some good Italian players but its not comparable to what Milan and Juve have had for example.

Its a good reason why I admire clubs like Chivas, Bilbao and El Nacional. Especially the former 2. Always seem to do well in leagues dominated by foreign talent.

• Subscriber
On 4/29/2017 at 1:01 PM, Salford Kel said:

Teams should have at least 8 players from their own nation on the pitch at any one time. So many clubs now have no identity (or even worse, an identity that has no connection to their local fans and, in many cases, their own country). This was the case in Serie A in the late 80s/early 90s when all the best players went to Italy. It also meant that relatively small clubs had top players because Italy was where the money was and the top clubs couldn't have more than three on their books (later extended to three in the matchday squad).

This would definitely be unpopular but one I think would be great

I'd like to see some movement towards that for sure. Don't think you could get away with making it many straight away though, would send the league mental.

It would undoubtedly help the national team and I think eventually the standard would improve again after an initial fall.

• Subscriber
On 4/29/2017 at 3:39 PM, Stan said:

Just like Napoli's was last season?

To be fair Napoli are a bit of a rare case. They're quite anti-Italian aren't they?

11 minutes ago, Dan said:

To be fair Napoli are a bit of a rare case. They're quite anti-Italian aren't they?

Yeah like I mentioned. There have been good Italian players but its been dominated by foreigners. Their best 3 players have been Argentinian, Brazilian and Slovakian.

9 hours ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

Mexican league use to have the 6 5 rule but that went to hell last year. All because of the money. The top mexican talent was overpriced and thats why the rule got done away with. Overprice homegrown talent and third party buyers, agents like Raiola. There is two-three top agents here and they choose to go buy a bunch of cheap south Americans, develop them in our superior league and then sell them to european teams. (Jackson martinez was brought from Colombia for less than 400,000 dollars. Few years in our league and next was Atletico and then porto. (Mexican team made money on the latter sell too) they rather do that then pay attention to the young talent we have. Thats why the top mexican talent is leaving at an early age (vela and the dos santos brothers) because they wont get a chance to develop. 

Not sure why you're quoting me for as I have less than no interest in you or your opinion

On 30/04/2017 at 8:08 PM, Smiley Culture said:

Having more English and UK born players in matchday squads would weaken the reputation of the Premier League and would have little, if any, effect on the International side.

Completely agree. People state the opposite as if we used to have the best league, filled with great English players.

The worst thing is there is not a top club in the country that wouldn't give an English player a chance. Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, Ashley Young etc, not the sort of players you'd see at Barce, Real, Bayern...but they're English so they're in.

On 30/04/2017 at 8:08 PM, Smiley Culture said:

Having more English and UK born players in matchday squads would weaken the reputation of the Premier League and would have little, if any, effect on the International side.

Completely agree. People state the opposite as if we used to have the best league, filled with great English players.

The worst thing is there is not a top club in the country that wouldn't give an English player a chance. Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, Ashley Young etc, not the sort of players you'd see at Barce, Real, Bayern...but they're English so they're in.

On 5/1/2017 at 5:48 AM, Salford Kel said:

Not sure why you're quoting me for as I have less than no interest in you or your opinion

I don't think anyone does but there's no need for these types of replies.

A few more

Keylor Navas may have some faults but he's better than any keeper from South America.

Paolo Guerrero is criminally underrated because he doesn't play in Europe. I already said this example earlier but if you watch him individually you will find a top striker.

Andre Pierre Gignac isn't even in the top 5 strikers in Mexico these days.

Icardi won't change a thing in the Argentina set up. I said this on the other thread but if you have 3 world class strikers and none of them perform then the player isn't the problem.

Boca Juniors are a bigger club than River Plate but in terms of relevance in Europe, River beats them because of the youth academy. Boca buys most of their youth and this is coming from someone who's Argentinian club is Boca.

• Subscriber

The Premier League is no stronger this season than last season. If it is then it's absolutely marginal. The fact sides like West Brom, Watford and Stoke have been safe for weeks is testament to that.

I think the top six has gotten a bit stronger but not significantly, and I think the rest have gotten weaker.

Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs are the only teams I could confidently say are better than they were last year.

EDIT: And Everton.

Edited by Dan

Definitely think Man United would have won way more trophies if Ronaldo had stayed.

It was stupid to sell him for "only" £80 million, as it would have been for any amount of money for that matter. Real Madrid got an infinitely better deal and are laughing at it. Best all time goal scorer for the club ffs. Like Messi, he isn't a player you want to sell. Certainly not when he's 23.

Edited by Machado

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Manchester United and The Premier League have suffered greatly in terms of quality since Cristiano Ronaldo was allowed to join Real Madrid.

I don't think that's a bad shout actually.

Reminds me of one of my older ones - Ronaldo was a far more entertaining player at Man Utd. Nowadays he's a master of efficiency, at Man Utd he was both effective (though not quite so much) and massively entertaining to watch.

9 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Cristiano's dream was always to play for Real Madrid, if they hadn't sold him he would have walked on a free when his contract expired.

It shows how crazy football is when £80,000,000 doesn't seem that much now.

His contract wasn't close to expiring. Ferguson had plenty of time to convince him to stay at the biggest club in the world, become a United legend, be the face of the most globally recognised league in the world etc. United had just played in two champions league finals. Letting Ronaldo go to Real Madrid created a domino effect which had led to (now) three la liga teams being streets ahead of anything The Premier League has to offer. 

On 5/9/2017 at 0:07 PM, Aaroncpfc said:

His contract wasn't close to expiring. Ferguson had plenty of time to convince him to stay at the biggest club in the world, become a United legend, be the face of the most globally recognised league in the world etc. United had just played in two champions league finals. Letting Ronaldo go to Real Madrid created a domino effect which had led to (now) three la liga teams being streets ahead of anything The Premier League has to offer. 

I doubt that. For a lot of players, playing for Barca or Real is a real attraction (more so for Spanish, Portuguese and South American players). Fergie did his best to prolong his stay (by a season if I am not wrong), but in the end he wouldn't have been able to stop him.

You are right about the league losing its shine with Ronaldo's departure.

But I don't agree with the second part. English clubs dominated Europe between 2004 to 2010 or thereabouts because of the caliber of managers. With the current crop of managers at the top 6 clubs, I fancy English clubs to dominate Europe in the coming few years once again.

Edited by IgnisExcubitor

• The title was changed to Unpopular Football Opinions