talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wenger - Not Many Interesting Games In Champions League

football forum

“I think that in the group stage, there are not many interesting games,” he said. “You choose [to watch] only one or two games.

“It’s a routine now, the Champions League, in the group stage. Look at the audiences. It has lost some attraction power.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/09/23/arsene-wenger-champions-league-isnt-interesting-used/

Is anyone on here old enough to remember when it was good :8_laughing:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He wouldn’t like it if it were really proper interesting which is when only Champions participated and it was all knock-out. He has no point at all because that’s his biggest achievement... Qualification for the Champions League so as to be a mere participant except for one year out of 20. 

For me the UCL is only getting more interesting. 3 years ago we had a spell where Bayern, Real and Barcelona guaranteed to reach the semi finals. Now its becoming more open. We know that the draw isn't rigged after Bayern drew Madrid in quarters last year, but with PSG only getting stronger by year, and Bayern getting weaker its becoming more of a race. Juventus have gotten into that category and I wouldn't be surprised if Manchester City are next. Its certainly a lot better now than it was between 2012-2015.

Before I said that I cared about the entertaining matches the UCL has to offer, but didn't care about the race. Now I care about both, its not a snoozefest of a predictable race for me anymore. Even if money is ruining the competition, I still enjoy it.

26 minutes ago, Blue said:

For me the UCL is only getting more interesting. 3 years ago we had a spell where Bayern, Real and Barcelona guaranteed to reach the semi finals. Now its becoming more open. We know that the draw isn't rigged after Bayern drew Madrid in quarters last year, but with PSG only getting stronger by year, and Bayern getting weaker its becoming more of a race. Juventus have gotten into that category and I wouldn't be surprised if Manchester City are next. Its certainly a lot better now than it was between 2012-2015.

Before I said that I cared about the entertaining matches the UCL has to offer, but didn't care about the race. Now I care about both, its not a snoozefest of a predictable race for me anymore. Even if money is ruining the competition, I still enjoy it.

Who wins it though?

Nothing has changed. What you’re saying is that there are “other” clubs being more competitive and reaching the final stages.

But I agree on one thing... Manchester City are being designed to win it. But PSG are just a mish mash of players, a nightmare for a coach because he’ll be expected to win it without any planning or project. They shouldn’t even be participating in European football anyhow. 

19 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Who wins it though?

Nothing has changed. What you’re saying is that there are “other” clubs being more competitive and reaching the final stages.

But I agree on one thing... Manchester City are being designed to win it. But PSG are just a mish mash of players, a nightmare for a coach because he’ll be expected to win it without any planning or project. They shouldn’t even be participating in European football anyhow. 

I think it's because I'm comparing it to the Libertadores which obviously has different winners for obvious reasons, but it's more fun to predict who will win there where it seemed only those 3 won it in Europe.

Thats not to say we're much better though. I predicted River to win it in 2015, Nacional in 2016 and this year I said Gremio who are in the semis.

• 1 month later...
On 24/09/2017 at 3:39 PM, Blue said:

Teams and leagues go through good and bad spells. It was never gonna stay as that top 4 forever like some on here seemed to think.

• Administrator

i heard yesterday on the BT Goals show that so far this season there's already been more goals at this stage than in any other season at the same time. Something like 150+ goals before Tuesday's games.

On 9/24/2017 at 3:07 PM, 6666 said:

It's fair to say that the Europa League is a much more superior and more interesting competition than the Champions League. At least this season. :ph34r:

Of course it is.....

until...

Arsenal are back in the CL again then he will announce what a boring set of fixtures the Europa has.. 

• 3 weeks later...

The group stages of the Champions League are by and large, predictable, dull and monotonous. 

The financial disparity between sides is huge and it's becoming increasingly rarer that you see unpredictable results at this stage of the competition and for the neutral, it's becoming increasingly more and more boring. 

The Europa League group stages seems to have more teams from a similar financial footing and then a few teams who're below that level who can, and do, provide a shock in the competition. 

Archived