talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Should Dele Alli Follow In Bale's Foot Steps And Move To Real Madrid?

Real Madrid want to sign Tottenham midfielder Dele Alli and will offer Mateo Kovacic in a swap deal. Alli, 21, is under contract at Spurs until 2022. (Don Balon, via Daily Star)

What is best for his career? If the chance comes up to go to Real Madrid should he take it?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

He should definitely take it if he's offered the opportunity!

If he wants to evolve and become the player he can be, in my opinion he should move abroad.  That's where he will be tested properly in what he's known for which is technique.

But to move to Real Madrid he should be careful. You know how they work, you need to have a certain status and make sure you´ll get there to start, otherwise you can easily spend a  whole season on the bench no matter how good you are. 

By the way. wasn´t Dele Alli in the process of hiring a new agent? If he hires Jorge Mendes, it´ll be a very good sign to Real. 

• Subscriber

Boring having to respond to these types of topics but anyway.

Move to Manchester in the summer is ludicrous Stan, he's 21, on a long term contract and will probably sign another one soon. No chance we sell for a couple of years yet if at all, why would we need to? We're talking crazy Neymar money anyway.

He's also not good enough for Madrid currently, not at all, would get eaten alive out there by that press and higher expectations. His greatest asset is his ability off the ball, his movement is sublime. On the ball he's still has a lot of work to do. His touch can let him down, he takes too much time on the ball at times, and his decision making still has a lot of room to improve. He's bloody impressive, but he's still so young and he's at the perfect club to keep developing and with the perfect manager.

This is the worst bit about football now - as soon as any side has quality players, the media just want to sell them.

Not worried about Del at all - he'll probably go eventually, but it will be on our terms, for our fee when the time is right. That time isn't for years yet. The one that matters anyway is Harry and he bloody loves the club.

PS. Why are letting Don [Sir] Balon be quoted a news now anyway. :ph34r:

13 minutes ago, El_Loco said:

But to move to Real Madrid he should be careful. You know how they work, you need to have a certain status and make sure you´ll get there to start, otherwise you can easily spend a  whole season on the bench no matter how good you are. 

By the way. wasn´t Dele Alli in the process of hiring a new agent? If he hires Jorge Mendes, it´ll be a very good sign to Real. 

It was the agent change that has made me think this is all a prelude to a move and I'll say why quickly because it's quite obvious.  The only reason as a player that's making his name in the manner Dele Alli is, goes for a "super agent" of the likes of Mendes or Raiola is for one of two reasons (or both reasons so as to play the game and not look like a traitor if you do end up leaving your club)...

1. Begin to make a high end renewal project to present to the present club and enter the higher paid end.
  2. To negotiate your departure from the club you're at to an "elite" club this is where you need this kind of agent to get the best deal on all fronts.

Answer to the first point...  Tottenham Hotspur do not have the capacity to offer Dele Alli what "elite" clubs are capable of offering in terms of wage plans, sponsorship deals on the personal front from appeal to status.  So there's no reason to hire this type of agent if it's to try and juice his present club because he can only go so far with Spurs.

Answer to the second point is more in line with what he will be trying to gain starting from now seeing as Spurs are competing with the best in the Premier League right now and plus they're in the Champions League which is the showpiece at club level world wide and even bigger than the Premier League.

Anyone that avidly follows the Premier League anywhere in the world will know that Dele Alli is one of the league's protagonists...  Even more importantly is the type of player he is seen as which is an attacking force through the middle of midfield with very good technique and vision...  He has a hell of a lot to learn though and even though he is used by the Premier League product marketing machine, he still needs to evolve on various front s to become one of the genuinely top end players that can demand a first team place at clubs such as Real Madrid or FC Barcelona.  He is already good enough for this type of club to want to invest in signing him no matter how much he costs, but the larger part of the appeal at this moment in time is his brandname more than what he actually offers.

Here is where I go onto what you've just answered me with mate because it's a double ended issue with Dele Alli moving to Real Madrid...

Firstly as you said, Real Madrid are famous for signing players that are already made.  Not only on the footballing side of things where the player has to be arriving imminently to the hight of his game, but also the marketing side of things in line with the status of a club like Real Madrid which is beyond massive and is like the Vatican of football.  Add to all of this Florentino Pérez and how he's traditionally worked and everything else is self evident!

There are risks for him because of this because look at Gareth Bale who is a brandname institution in itself.  He's failing massively at Real Madrid but even so he is maintaining his appeal and that won't die because of the global situation he lives within being a footballer for a club like Real Madrid.  So the risks lie mostly as you say, on the playing side of things.  He doesn't really want to end up being on the bench because he isn't big enough yet and that could end up killing him off if it were to happen and he isn't more a regular than a spectator.

But we must also take into account and believe that Real Madrid have turned a page in recent times.  Or better said, the president (Florentino Pérez) has changed the way he looks at things slightly.  They didn't sign anyone this summer and in the past three years the main bulk of signings have been young talented Spanish players that are now becoming household names and creating their own status within the club.  If this is true, then there would be no better time to go to Real Madrid than at this present moment for a player such as Dele Alli at his age and where he is right now in terms of his football.

On the other hand...  The position he plays in!  Ahem...  He would be competing against Isco and Asensio amongst others.  There lies an issue unless Real Madrid finally also turn a corner on how they're set-up (or have been since Cristiano went there) on the field of play.  If they stop playing a front three which is very conceivable, then even then he could have chances to play quite frequently with the two I've mentioned and that would be very interesting for a football fan.

There are always risks in life but if you want to be the best, then you have to be surrounded by the best.  There is no limit to what can be achieved these days via player power and brandnames and for that you need to aim for the top.

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

We should just end football and play Basra Vs Real every weekend. After all, they're the only clubs anyone can fulfill their potential at.....

hahaha...  ;)

On a serious note though...  (This is just my opinion and you'll understand it I know).  If you still had Alex Ferguson as your manager back in the day, Manchester United would be there too without a doubt.  As an institution Man Utd are unquestionably massive, but you have Mourinho as your head coach and for me that wouldn't be a good move for Dele Alli from that perspective.  You may disagree with this though but I know you get me on the comparison levels of both eras I'm stating.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

hahaha...  ;)

On a serious note though...  (This is just my opinion and you'll understand it I know).  If you still had Alex Ferguson as your manager back in the day, Manchester United would be there too without a doubt.  As an institution Man Utd are unquestionably massive, but you have Mourinho as your head coach and for me that wouldn't be a good move for Dele Alli from that perspective.  You may disagree with this though but I know you get me on the comparison levels of both eras I'm stating.

I'd say he should stay at his current club till he outgrows it. And therein lies the issue. Delli Alli and Harry Kane and the rest should be striving to make Tottenham the number one team in the country. If they get to the stage in 2/3 years where the team isn't doing well, or the managers moved and they've won nothing, then move on. Rashford and Martial continue to make strides under Mourinho. Historically he's been a cock with youth players but maybe this job will change him. The Premier leagues biggest problem is that the money it generates makes it too easy to buy a bang average player to make up the squad rather than youth promotion, especially at the top clubs. 

2 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I'd say he should stay at his current club till he outgrows it. And therein lies the issue. Delli Alli and Harry Kane and the rest should be striving to make Tottenham the number one team in the country. If they get to the stage in 2/3 years where the team isn't doing well, or the managers moved and they've won nothing, then move on. Rashford and Martial continue to make strides under Mourinho. Historically he's been a cock with youth players but maybe this job will change him. The Premier leagues biggest problem is that the money it generates makes it too easy to buy a bang average player to make up the squad rather than youth promotion, especially at the top clubs. 

Believe me, I agree with you there, but that's a romantic view on football and belongs to another era.  It would be brilliant to see something like that happen from a football perspective because it's actually good for the sport and it would also send a message to all clubs and their fans.

But football has become to pragmatic and too cynical in my opinion.  It's that thing of "watching that last train go by" for a player who only gets one career.  Clubs remain but players move on.

Maybe you're right about Mourinho and that he may have turned a corner in his career as a manager.  I've mentioned how Florentino Pérez at Real Madrid has been doing things differently in the past almost 5 years and 10 years back you'd be put in a madhouse if you even thought that could happen.

The question was put out there on the thread and that's how I see it though.  I'm thinking pragmatically from the player's perspective and if true, the question everyone should be asking themselves is why is he signing a "super agent".  How much can a Mendes or a Raiola juice Spurs who are investing heavily in a new stadium?

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

And I'd buy Barca so i could sell Messi to Stoke City.

The rest of the squad I'd sell to PSG in order to raise the funds needed to bring Coutinho in from Liverpool. :25_money_mouth:

Your dreams have come true mate!  You will even be able to replace Mignolet with a goalkeeper! :o

fifa-18-ronaldo-cover.jpg

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Storts said:

Boring having to respond to these types of topics but anyway.

Move to Manchester in the summer is ludicrous Stan, he's 21, on a long term contract and will probably sign another one soon. No chance we sell for a couple of years yet if at all, why would we need to? We're talking crazy Neymar money anyway.

it's not about why you'd need to.

I suspect he'd want to leave Spurs to win trophies though.

Image result for oh burn gif

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Stan said:

it's not about why you'd need to.

I suspect he'd want to leave Spurs to win trophies though.

Image result for oh burn gif

But it is - we hold the cards when he's on a long term deal, absolutely zero chance he goes in the summer, we just don't have to sell, regardless of whether he wants to or not. Earliest he goes is 2 year years but we'll see. We also won't sell him to an English club. Would be abroad

I'm a huge Dele Allí fan. He's a lovely player and Spurs have a world class player later on if they can keep him for the long term. If it shows signs of a "wasted generation" (which I hope not, this Spurs team deserves something) then I could also see him going to one of the Manchester teams. It would be for big money but I don't see them having a problem affording it. It's a matter of will they pay up.

I feel like he'll stick around until he's made his mark in Europe and regularly in the league, if he has another good season domestically and as said does well in the Champions League and Spurs don't win anything again, I imagine he will look towards bigger and better things. But I do agree with Storts that it won't be this Summer, if he were to push a move out the earliest I could imagine him going is the Summer after.

In terms of what's best for his career, it's obvious that a move would be good for him as he'd be more likely to win something. He would however be exposed for actually not being an intelligent footballer and he'd be sent off a lot more as he'd be less likely to get away with being the scummy, ratty type of player that he is. Can't see it happening anytime soon though.

3 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

People think he's good enough at present to get in the Real team? xD

No, neither was Isco, Ramos, or Kovacic in their moment. It's all a process and under Zidane they have a very strict development policy. Hence why Isco played over James, whom the latter was much better but as time went on that began to change.

Harry Kane would be a great buy for Real Madrid though in my opinion. They don't really have anyone other than Benzema and even he's someone that disappears if the opposition put up any sort of fight. They probably could tempt Tottenham with Bale who they've figured out is one dimensional and definitely nowhere near the "left footed Ronaldo" they thought they were buying.

Alli isn't technically good enough to play for a top European team. And by technique I mean consistently bringing the ball under control in tight spaces and being able to carry the ball at speed - don't come at me with the Palace goal. 

He has good attacking instincts and a physique that allows him to thrive in his unique role for Spurs. As well as a top-level ability to draw fouls without beating a marker. 

But he lacks the general ability of the likes of Isco or Kovacic, who could hang around and then instantly provide the necessary quality to fill a gap. He's better staying where he is and appreciating the good that Pochettino has done for him. 

Archived