Numancia vs Real Madrid
Celta Vigo vs Barcelona
Cadiz vs Sevilla
Leganes vs Villarreal
Las Palmas vs Valencia
Espanyol vs Levante

On 03/12/2017 at 11:33 AM, Stan said:

wtf happened to Betis there.

I thought teams take Copa Del Rey seriously considering most of them have a square root of fuck all chance of winning the league. 

Yeah, but that’s cup football for you mate. Athletic Bilbao who are one of the cup kings in Spain (the second club with most Copas del Rey) got knocked out by Formentera who are in Spain’s third tier and Real Madrid we’re lucky against another third tier side in Fuenlabrada.

As for the draw... Barça have got a very difficult one because Celta always do well in the Copa and they also nearly always give Barcelona extremely tough games. Infact Celta Vigo knocked Real Madrid out of the Copa del Rey last season. 

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

1-1 so far against Celta, Arnaiz with the goal before Celta came back with a goal from Sisto.

It was poor defending for the Celta goal to be honest. You expect better. Good game so far though and it looks as though Dembele will be making an appearance at some stage.

I was out and didn’t see the game. Apparently the team was almost a second string side from what I saw on the alerts. How did they play?  The result is a good one to take to the Camp Nou if it wasn’t all the regular players.

Saw this morning that Real Madrid had won 0-3 away to Numancia in the Copa del Rey yesterday.  Like I said, I didn’t watch any games last night but all the headlines this morning are severely criticising the refereeing of this game and one sports daily saying it was a scandal! :o

16 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I was out and didn’t see the game. Apparently the team was almost a second string side from what I saw on the alerts. How did they play?  The result is a good one to take to the Camp Nou if it wasn’t all the regular players.

It was a solid enough performance as 1-1 away to Celta, when resting a lot of key players, is a good result and sets up the second leg, where you'd expect Valverde to play a stronger line-up.

Arnaiz has scored 3 goals now in the cup and given that Celta are top flight opposition, this only further shows that he deserves more chances in the first team. He would be a top quality super sub at this point.

Just been watching my favorite Spanish club, Valencia, crushing Las Palmas. Luciano Vietto, who they just picked up on loan from Atletico a few days ago, has a hat trick. His lofted his third goal over the keeper's head and into the net from almost the center circle. What a start to his Valencia career! I'm guessing the decision has already been made to pick up the option to buy at the end of his loan deal. :congrats:

Just the other day I was remembering how last summer everyone had practically crowned Real Madrid as champions this year. Barcelona was in crisis and RM looked unbeatable. Before they played in Miami, BeIN sports was interviewing fans of both clubs and even the Barcelona fans didn't think they had a chance. xD

6 hours ago, Gary Seven said:

Just the other day I was remembering how last summer everyone had practically crowned Real Madrid as champions this year. Barcelona was in crisis and RM looked unbeatable. Before they played in Miami, BeIN sports was interviewing fans of both clubs and even the Barcelona fans didn't think they had a chance. xD

That was the general feeling most people had mate... Gerard Piqué himself after being ripped apart by Real Madrid in the Supercopa de España famously told a journalist after the game that in his 10 years playing for Barcelona at the top level, this was the first time he had ever perceived the sensation that Real Madrid were superior to them.

Everything after that Supercopa victory pointed to that...  Barça were in disarray for various reasons and Real Madrid has planned heavily for it during the pre-season, a pre-season that was curiously poor for Real Madrid and many failed to read into this.

4-0 at the break.

The 4th was a poor defensive mistake from Celta(having to play both Barcelona and Real back to back before this must have taken its toll) and the keeper could have done better for the 1st, but the 2nd and 3rd were brilliant goals. Messi and Alba have been a devastating combination again tonight.

Ended 5-0 in the end and nobody was expecting that with how competitive Celta always are against the big boys! I couldn’t watch it and still haven’t seen anything on the game but I’ve got various alerts going on about a magnificent performance that’s scary and a particular pass Messi apparently made to Alba that’s even making the Madrid based sports portals as the main headline.

14 hours ago, SirBalon said:

That was the general feeling most people had mate... Gerard Piqué himself after being ripped apart by Real Madrid in the Supercopa de España famously told a journalist after the game that in his 10 years playing for Barcelona at the top level, this was the first time he had ever perceived the sensation that Real Madrid were superior to them.

Everything after that Supercopa victory pointed to that...  Barça were in disarray for various reasons and Real Madrid has planned heavily for it during the pre-season, a pre-season that was curiously poor for Real Madrid and many failed to read into this.

Brings to mind two old adages: games aren't played on paper and don't read too much into preseason. 

12 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Ended 5-0 in the end and nobody was expecting that with how competitive Celta always are against the big boys! I couldn’t watch it and still haven’t seen anything on the game but I’ve got various alerts going on about a magnificent performance that’s scary and a particular pass Messi apparently made to Alba that’s even making the Madrid based sports portals as the main headline.

To be honest, Messi makes passes of that nature all the time, it's become normal for him. Due to it being converted, it's remembered more(like the one vs Valencia, which Alba also scored), although the pass itself isn't out of the ordinary for this man. Still, it was an amazing pass and the 2nd goal rolled back the years. In fact the first half performance in general reminded me of under Pep.

Dembele also had some lovely moments when coming on and showed flashes of what he's really going to be about. As soon as this lad grows in confidence and fully adapts his game to Spanish football, there is going to be some player there in my opinion. He just needs to properly adapt his game to Spanish football, which is very different to German football. I've noticed he likes to knock the ball around players and run on it, but that can be difficult to do in Spain as teams defend deeper there than in Germany, where they defend higher up the pitch. Once he adapts his style of dribbling to the league though, then he's going to be brilliant. Another thing I think he needs to improve on is his finishing and shooting as this could really perfect his game as a player in the future, although he is only 20 and this can only improve with age and experience.

25 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

To be honest, Messi makes passes of that nature all the time, it's become normal for him. Due to it being converted, it's remembered more(like the one vs Valencia, which Alba also scored), although the pass itself isn't out of the ordinary for this man. Still, it was an amazing pass and the 2nd goal rolled back the years. In fact the first half performance in general reminded me of under Pep.

Dembele also had some lovely moments when coming on and showed flashes of what he's really going to be about. As soon as this lad grows in confidence and fully adapts his game to Spanish football, there is going to be some player there in my opinion. He just needs to properly adapt his game to Spanish football, which is very different to German football. I've noticed he likes to knock the ball around players and run on it, but that can be difficult to do in Spain as teams defend deeper there than in Germany, where they defend higher up the pitch. Once he adapts his style of dribbling to the league though, then he's going to be brilliant. Another thing I think he needs to improve on is his finishing and shooting as this could really perfect his game as a player in the future, although he is only 20 and this can only improve with age and experience.

I watched the highlights last night before I went to bed and I have to say that based on that, the performance from Barcelona was just astronomical and even at 5-0 in the end, it could’ve been anything even more scandalous.

Youre right about that pass by Messi for Alba’s goal... Incredibly that pass has become something almost expected when in actual fact no matter how many times he executes it, it’s actually extraordinary. The trio of understanding between Alba, Messi and Iniesta is becoming mind blowing to be honest and my favourite move wasn’t that one everyone’s going on about but one that didn’t end up with a goal which was Messi doing a drag-back heel to set up Iniesta who read him to perfection but to hit over the bar.  Unbelievable mate!

Yeah that was brilliant play and shame it wasn't finished off by Iniesta. Some brilliant football. Iniesta himself and also Busquets, had brilliant performances.

The thing is mate, this isn't just a strong starting 11 as we originally thought, but a squad. Valverde is using it much better than Enrique did last season and that's been the main difference.

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Yeah that was brilliant play and shame it wasn't finished off by Iniesta. Some brilliant football. Iniesta himself and also Busquets, had brilliant performances.

The thing is mate, this isn't just a strong starting 11 as we originally thought, but a squad. Valverde is using it much better than Enrique did last season and that's been the main difference.

I always said from the start even after the Supercopa de España debacle that the Barcelona first XI could compete against any team.  That first XI has some of the best players in the world in their particular positions and has what for many is the greatest player to have ever played the game.  I can’t lie now and say that my sentiments were the same about the squad which to be honest I’ve been amazingly surprised to be honest.  That massive defeat seemed to be a wake-up call and a kick up the arse.

Without a doubt and you only have to listen to the players after games, it’s all down to Ernesto Valverde... They are amazed with his tactical understanding of each particular game and it isn’t just a case of putting out a first XI with a mentality of “we’re superior and we should win”.

• The title was changed to Copa del Rey 2018: Sevilla 0-5 Barcelona
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived