talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa del Rey Final 2018: SEVILLA FC 0-5 FC BARCELONA

football forum

Messi 2-0. The flukiest goal you'll see but its in and it counts.

Bad handling from Pau Lopez there.

EDIT: Pau didn't touch it! He was just badly positioned and failed to see the deflection.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Would be nice to see a team that isn't Barcelona or have Madrid in their name to win the cup for a change. Another reason why many take the piss about Spain vs England leagues. 

This and that's why I'm hoping Espanyol win this - but based on how things are going, it seems unlikely

15 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Would be nice to see a team that isn't Barcelona or have Madrid in their name to win the cup for a change. Another reason why many take the piss about Spain vs England leagues. 

Other than the last 3 years, where Enrique managed to win it 3 times running(a big achievement), it has always generally been won by different sides every year.

As for Real Madrid, they have won it about twice in the last 25 years. They constantly get knocked out off lower league teams.

1 minute ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Other than the last 3 years, where Enrique managed to win it 3 times running(a big achievement), it has always generally been won by different sides every year.

As for Real Madrid, they have won it about twice in the last 25 years. They constantly get knocked out off lower league teams.

You have to go back 10 years the last time Barca, Real, or Atletico didn't win it. 

Just now, SirBalon said:

That’s true but none the less they’re second and there have been plenty of different winners pre-Barcelona dominance.

But we aren't talking about that, we are talking about now, and for the past 10 years only 3 clubs have won the damn thing. 

22 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Cant rule out Valencia winning the cup this season, they are a much better team this season and have the capability to beat Barcelona on their day. Hope they do that

33 minutes ago, Blue said:

Messi 2-0. The flukiest goal you'll see but its in and it counts.

Bad handling from Pau Lopez there.

EDIT: Pau didn't touch it! He was just badly positioned and failed to see the deflection.

what? how do you see deflections? I dont think I have seen any goal keeper "seeing" or anticipating a deflection and saved it as planned.

Just now, Asura said:

what? how do you see deflections? I dont think I have seen any goal keeper "seeing" or anticipating a deflection and saved it as planned.

He stepped to a side thinking the ball would go to the left side of the net and the deflection takes it to the right. Still a very sloppy goal to concede, mind.

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Blue said:

He stepped to a side thinking the ball would go to the left side of the net and the deflection takes it to the right. Still a very sloppy goal to concede, mind.

how's he meant to know it was gonna take a deflection?

Real have just gone out, Atletico have gone out and it could have been all 3 had Espanyol sneaked a late goal tonight. It was a tight round, although it should probably have been a more comfortable win scoreline tonight when you consider that Messi should probably have had a hat-trick and Suarez could have had atleast another himself.

Barcelona vs Valencia would make for a cracking final I reckon.

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Still didnt get your point, how was he badly positioned to see the deflection?  Deflections are by accident and how do you prepare for those as a goal keeper?

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Asura said:

Still didnt get your point, how was he badly positioned to see the deflection?  Deflections are by accident and how do you prepare for those as a goal keeper?

world class Peruvians can, no doubt.

Both Barcelona goals originate from Messi winning the ball back for the team and in the second he ends up scoring it (albeit with a deflection). Messi’s performance today was extraordinary. I think the adjectives for Messi have run out to be honest.

• Administrator
Just now, SirBalon said:

Both Barcelona goals originate from Messi winning the ball back for the team and in the second he ends up scoring it (albeit with a deflection). Messi’s performance today was extraordinary. I think the adjectives for Messi have run out to be honest.

a save-able deflection, right?

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

read above mate

I was just reading now when you wrote that so as to see if there was anything on it.  I don’t get what Blue is saying there because a deflection tricks the keeper.  In this case the keeper dives the right way for the shot but then the ball changes direction... what’s the keeper supposed to do, change direction in contrary initial motion?  That’s impossible unless the deflection itself goes TO the keeper.  He has a point on positioning though, but in this case I don’t see anything wrong in that sense.

16 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I was just reading now when you wrote that so as to see if there was anything on it.  I don’t get what Blue is saying there because a deflection tricks the keeper.  In this case the keeper dives the right way for the shot but then the ball changes direction... what’s the keeper supposed to do, change direction in contrary initial motion?  That’s impossible unless the deflection itself goes TO the keeper.  He has a point on positioning though, but in this case I don’t see anything wrong in that sense.

He was badly positioned, but I have no shame in admitting I was wrong about the deflections.

Coming back to some comments up there.

Since football started in 1992(:ph34r:) la copa del rey has seen 11 winners, while the FA cup has seen 8 winners during this time. As for the last 10 years, there have been 5 winners of the copa del rey, while 6 winners of the FA cup. Not much difference. As for the 10 years previous, it was more varied in Spain with 8 winners of the domestic cup in 10 years, none of them being Real Madrid, or the second most successful side in the competition, Athletic Bilbao.

It's a case of a brilliant generation of players and a club having a dominant decade than anything else. Especially when you consider the teams that have knocked Real Madrid out during this time in Real Union, Alcorcon, Leganes, etc. Without Barcelona's dominance, it would have been similar to the decade before in terms of winners, especially when you consider the amount of finalists during this time :- Real Madrid, Sevilla, Valencia, Getafe, Alaves, Athletic Bilbao, Atletico Madrid, etc.

To be fair, Barcelona's dominant decade has gotten in the way of Athletic in many ways as they'd have likely won a couple of them over the past 10 years after an underwhelming decade before it, where they reached no finals at all. 3 of those 5 finals that Barcelona have won over the last decade were actually against them xD. All 3 times, Messi was at his best while being back up by an incredible bunch of players, so what can you do? Against anyone else, they would have surely had a better chance.

Off topic in many ways, but Athletic have had a bit of a golden generation over the last 10 years after 15 years of mediocrity, although it was probably the wrong decade when you consider how brilliant Barcelona have been, the rise of Atletico(which prevented them winning the Europa league after a brilliant run), they have been unlucky in this regard. Athletic with this generation of players of the last decade, playing a decade previous would likely have won a few cups and maybe even a league.

• The title was changed to Copa del Rey 2018: Sevilla 0-5 Barcelona
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived