• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Talk Football 365 All Time Starting XI

football forum

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Harry said:

I'd actually start the discussion with an open Question on how to go about this... do you decide on a formation first and then pick the best players that fit that regardless of whether Messi misses out, or do you take a couple of formations through and fill both and then decide which is the stronger team at the end of it?

A manager would go formation first but that's based on them having a certain style of play and tactical approach. Not applicable to us in the TF365 arena...

A manager would go with players first, surely? When they start with a new team, they already have a list of players at their disposable. Sure, they can add more but there are various restrictions on that and even managers of international teams have a limited number of players at the highest level available to them.

Pedantry aside, I agree with you. My ideal formation on paper, for example, would be 3-5-2 because it gives you numbers in key areas, but you absolutely have to have the right players to play it, and I'm not sure that any of those players would otherwise get into an all-time XI on merit.

The other issue I have is this: I don't know how old we all are on here, but I'd wager not many of us are old enough to have seen Pele or Maradona in their prime. What about Stanley Matthews? So how can we legitimately argue which, if any, of them should be in the team over Ronaldo or Messi?

1 hour ago, Burning Gold said:

A manager would go with players first, surely? When they start with a new team, they already have a list of players at their disposable. Sure, they can add more but there are various restrictions on that and even managers of international teams have a limited number of players at the highest level available to them.

Pedantry aside, I agree with you. My ideal formation on paper, for example, would be 3-5-2 because it gives you numbers in key areas, but you absolutely have to have the right players to play it, and I'm not sure that any of those players would otherwise get into an all-time XI on merit.

The other issue I have is this: I don't know how old we all are on here, but I'd wager not many of us are old enough to have seen Pele or Maradona in their prime. What about Stanley Matthews? So how can we legitimately argue which, if any, of them should be in the team over Ronaldo or Messi?

To make it fair according to knowledge, I would say that only players you have witnessed in your lifetime should be selected by each member.  Otherwise the one I done by mistake further up would change slightly.

After a couple days of voting, TF365's preferred formation is the 4-3-3

ST

LW--------------------------------RW

CM-------------CM

DM

LB---------CB----------CB--------RB

GK

We will now begin the voting for the greatest GK of all time, I will start the voting with Buffon

• Administrator

Think it began earlier anyway xD 

Buffon for me. Professional, ridiculous goal-keeping ability and so passionate about the game.

I remember he posted something on Facebook and it felt really emotional just reading it.

Image result for buffon goal quote turning back on goal

I also go for Buffon.

Casillas was a top goalkeeper for many years and I've also witnessed other great keepers like Fillol (Argentina), Arconada (Spain), Shilton (England), Schmeichel (Denmark), Baia (Portugal), Zoff (Italy) and Kahn (Germany).

• Administrator
Just now, SirBalon said:

I also go for Buffon.

Casillas was a top goalkeeper for many years and I've also witnessed other great keepers like Fillol (Argentina), Arconada (Spain), Shilton (England), Schmeichel (Denmark), Baia (Portugal), Zoff (Italy) and Kahn (Germany).

yeah, Kahn and Schmeichel would be my other 2 to debate if Buffon wasn't around.

All legendary keepers. 

35 minutes ago, Cicero said:

After a couple days of voting, TF365's preferred formation is the 4-3-3

ST

LW--------------------------------RW

CM-------------CM

DM

LB---------CB----------CB--------RB

GK

We will now begin the voting for the greatest GK of all time, I will start the voting with Buffon

With a forced 4-3-3 formation the team I originally posted will change dramatically.

For longevity, the obvious answer is Buffon, but I'm going to go with Oliver Kahn at his peak.

32 minutes ago, StanLCFC said:

Think it began earlier anyway xD 

Buffon for me. Professional, ridiculous goal-keeping ability and so passionate about the game.

I remember he posted something on Facebook and it felt really emotional just reading it.

Image result for buffon goal quote turning back on goal

What am I missing here?

Schmeichel. I love Gigi, Kahn an honourable mention as well but The Great Dane? Nobody came close to him at his peak. He got us at least 10 points a season and saves us on numerous occasion. People seem to forget his performance against Arsenal in that semi final because of the Giggs goal.

14 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Schmeichel. I love Gigi, Kahn an honourable mention as well but The Great Dane? Nobody came close to him at his peak. He got us at least 10 points a season and saves us on numerous occasion. People seem to forget his performance against Arsenal in that semi final because of the Giggs goal.

Schmeichel was also almost a dictatorial type motivator which is a godsend to any top side.  Buffon also has great motivational qualities as you can see throough the respect other players have for him.  Oliver Kahn had a lot of Schmeichel qualities in him as well.

Obviously as I mentioned with other names in a previous post, there have been other great goalkeepers from the past that are just as great if not more.  I mean Lev Yashin (obviously beyond my lifetime) is for many the greatest keeper of all time.

4 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

So does De Gea to be fair 

Archived