• Created
  • Last Reply
On 09/03/2017 at 9:23 PM, SirBalon said:

Gianluigi Buffon

Philipp Lahm    Franco Baresi    Carles Puyol    Paolo Maldini

Sergio Busquets

Xavi     Diego Maradona    Johan Cruyff

Lionel Messi    Marco van Basten

Busquets swapped for Makalele and we might talk. 

On 22/03/2017 at 10:39 PM, SirBalon said:

Without a doubt I'm with you on the stats part because it's absolutely pointless.  There are very few things in football you can ascertain from stats and they are only an accompaniment to the actual play.  I've gone on and on about this when people try and defend players through their stats when they've been questioned.

There are moments they're important to look upon but under no circumstances are they the judgement on an individual where football is concerned.

In saying this, I don't like to bombard my view on people that live in North America (or those that have lived there for a decent amount of time) because their sports are riddled with statistics especially individual ones.  I've been over there on business and in my hotel room I've switched on their sports channels and they can make a 1 hour program (turns into a 5 hour program because of their constant commercials) contain 50 minutes of stats without actually replaying an action and just commenting on the actual moment of play as an individual art form.  There are players that are always going to be low on the important stats like goals scored or assists, even balls stolen because in midfield there are many functions in football.  Someone like Zidane or Iniesta aren't exactly ball winners or even major goal scorers (although they've scored some important ones).  They are the art form within the symphony and they stand alone in any comment.

I won't go into disputing or trying to refute your choice, only to say that whoever votes for either I understand.  The issue here from what I'm seeing is the lack of appreciating and including something you never lived through.  Because I knew this would happen I didn't vote for some names that I know should either be in there or definitely be in contention within the voting.  Many of those names I didn't see in my lifetime but because I am in love with the sport from a very young age, I made it my goal to listen to, watch and read up on everything out there.  I would ask older people their opinions on players I hadn't witnsessed but I knew they had.  I then go onto watch what's out there and available even going so far as to write to football clubs if they can send me material on tape (DVD these days or even digital downloads).  I want to appreciate every single detail of a sport that's different to any other...  A sport that can't be assessed or analysed by statistics.

If we were to do it in terms of players before our time that we have seen plenty of material of but not lived, mixed with players of our time(or my time, since you are an old bastard :ph34r:)  then I would have something similar to this:-

Schmeichel

Puyol - Baresi - Maldini

Zidane --- Rijkaard --- Iniesta

Messi -- Maradona -- Cruijff

Ronaldo(Brazil)

If I had to take into account books I've read and the general opinion of people whose opinions I find credible, my lineup would be totally different of course.

Schmeichel

Krol-Baresi-Maldini

Rijkaard

Cruijff---Iniesta

Maradona

Messi-Van Basten-Real Ronaldo

PS: I know Krol was a left back but I wanted Baresi in the middle and Krol could play just about anywhere defensively. 

On 3/23/2017 at 3:20 PM, Cicero said:

Iniesta is the first winner. We will continue voting to see who he will partner with. Those that haven't voted yet please nominate two players that aren't Iniesta. 

Maradona (5)

Zidane (3)

Xavi (3)

Ronaldinho (2)

Scholes (1)

Lampard (1)

Schweinsteiger (1)

Matthaus (1)

Pirlo (1)

If there's another two, then apart from Maradona I'm adding Alfredo di Stéfano

football forum

Are we able to veto players from the team? There's no way that cheating fat cunt Maradona should be in TF's Best XI.

Would rather stick Harold Shipman in there than that arsehole.

13 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Lev Yashin

Lahm  Baresi  Puyol  Maldini

Busquets

Di Stéfano  Maradona  Iniesta

Messi  Cruyff

I didn't think you were old enough for Cruyff, Yashin and Di Stafano, gramps?

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Even a CB?

Even CB and full back.  He especially loved playing in a holding position because he said he could see the whole of the play from a privileged position without being too far back.  Because he scored tons of goals he is seen as a striker but he wasn't.  Puskas was the man up front back then.

When he passed away I done a big piece on him back in TFF.  He was literally an all rounder and he was selected without being told what to do.

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Even CB and full back.  He especially loved playing in a holding position because he said he could see the whole of the play from a privileged position without being too far back.  Because he scored tons of goals he is seen as a striker but he wasn't.  Puskas was the man up front back then.

When he passed away I done a big piece on him back in TFF.  He was literally an all rounder and he was selected without being told what to do.

Didn't Real Madrid win most of their European Cups when he was the striker, though?

Just now, Spike said:

Didn't Real Madrid win most of their European Cups when he was the striker, though?

That was the period but I stress, he wasn't a striker and if you speak to Real Madrid fans from that era, they'll be adamant he wasn't...  He would place himself deep in midfield and literally just play by intelligently moving around the field depending on what the scene was performance wise.

For the real football aficionado and those that speak real football they'll tell you to forget Pelé, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi or whoever... They'll say with the most serious believing face that Di Stéfano is the greatest player to have ever graced the field.

I've seen a hell of a lot of video footage of him, read books, watched documentaries and actually lived (remember it decently) through part of his managerial career.  It's not the same as watching players at the time they were performing for sure.  I mean, watching a player consistently enough at the ground has nothing to do with seeing him on tv.  I've seen players that look amazing until I see them a few times at the ground and then I'm not all that impressed while I've seen others that don't get much media protagonism and then they stick out to me when I see them play their on the pitch.

So I can't make a proper assessment which is why further up I said that I couldn't opt for players like that from the past even though I KNOW they should be in there.  There are even some that I don't have to have watched because it so bloody evident they were on a different stratosphere that leaving them out and talking real football is a sacrilege.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

That was the period but I stress, he wasn't a striker and if you speak to Real Madrid fans from that era, they'll be adamant he wasn't...  He would place himself deep in midfield and literally just play by intelligently moving around the field depending on what the scene was performance wise.

For the real football aficionado and those that speak real football they'll tell you to forget Pelé, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi or whoever... They'll say with the most serious believing face that Di Stéfano is the greatest player to have ever graced the field.

I've seen a hell of a lot of video footage of him, read books, watched documentaries and actually lived (remember it decently) through part of his managerial career.  It's not the same as watching players at the time they were performing for sure.  I mean, watching a player consistently enough at the ground has nothing to do with seeing him on tv.  I've seen players that look amazing until I see them a few times at the ground and then I'm not all that impressed while I've seen others that don't get much media protagonism and then they stick out to me when I see them play their on the pitch.

So I can't make a proper assessment which is why further up I said that I couldn't opt for players like that from the past even though I KNOW they should be in there.  There are even some that I don't have to have watched because it so bloody evident they were on a different stratosphere that leaving them out and talking real football is a sacrilege.

Given that he was so natural playing in whatever position he likes, wouldn't it be insincere to vote for him as 'best' CM/LW/ST/ad nauseum? Seeing as he was none of those but a transcendence? 

Archived