The better place to talk football.

Talk Football 365 All Time Starting XI

football forum

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
football forum

Phillip Lahm

A fantastic right-back for both club and country and deserves extra points in my book for how loyal he is to Bayern Munich. 

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Phillip Lahm

A fantastic right-back for both club and country and deserves extra points in my book for how loyal he is to Bayern Munich. 

Great shout but I'd have him are leftback where he started his career. He was immensely effectively at left back for Germany as well. Fantastic dribbler in his younger tearsyears

Lahm

Defensively impeccable, and a massive creative influence for his teams, either drifting inside or on the overlap. Relentlessly, almost impossibly consistent. World Cup and CL-winning captain and all-round indispensable character for any team. 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, WhoNose said:

I'm a bit concerned about the formation. We're only going to pick 1 striker? That's the most abundant position

you didn't vote for a different formation xD.

and as the most abundant position, hopefully it'll create stronger discussion :) 

I guess a lot of great forwards you could pick slightly out of position. 

Just off the top of my head, a lot of strikers like Rivaldo, Stoichkov, Eto'o and Henry could play on the wings of our 4-3-3.

But then that creates an issue where every forward position has so many options. And that's without thinking of the possibility of picking playmakers like Totti, Iniesta, Laudrup in a "wing" position.

Lucky we haven't got too many Italians here because Nesta instead of Baresi is an aberration.

1 hour ago, Inverted said:

I guess a lot of great forwards you could pick slightly out of position. 

Just off the top of my head, a lot of strikers like Rivaldo, Stoichkov, Eto'o and Henry could play on the wings of our 4-3-3.

But then that creates an issue where every forward position has so many options. And that's without thinking of the possibility of picking playmakers like Totti, Iniesta, Laudrup in a "wing" position.

That is the problem with the 4-3-3.  The midfield is raped and it's the most important area...  The thing is there have been and are many forward minded players that can play in those areas.

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

The problem is we picked the formation a bit based on current trends. Not on what had historically been the great formation over the same time period these players have been great....

Two or three elite clubs with an excess in terms of forwards use this because it's the only way to put those three players on the field and not have one of them on the bench.  Just to take Barça and Real as an example, both coaches (Luis Enrique and Zinedine Zidane) in recent interviews said that through personal choice they wouldn't play a 4-3-3 and that they have to do extra unseen work for the whole match process so as to improvise.

Luis Enrique said only two weeks ago that his team play two different formations within a match which is extremely difficult to implement...  One with the ball in possession and one without the ball so as to balance out the lack of midfield control.

I think many top teams defend in something like a 4-4-2 and attack in a roughly 4-3-3-ish shape. All you need is one winger to drop down and one CM to shift wide. 

If you look at a lot of top teams when they're not pressing high up, they're in a roughly 4-4-2 shape. Off the top of my head I've seen Barca, Liverpool and Arsenal clearly shift. 

Few managers at the top of the game take the idea of having one shape in a match seriously. At the very least there's a difference between shape in possession and shape out of possession. And then furthermore there might be a different shape for each phase of defending as you get worked deeper down the field.

11 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I think many top teams defend in something like a 4-4-2 and attack in a roughly 4-3-3-ish shape. All you need is one winger to drop down and one CM to shift wide. 

If you look at a lot of top teams when they're not pressing high up, they're in a roughly 4-4-2 shape. Off the top of my head I've seen Barca, Liverpool and Arsenal clearly shift. 

Few managers at the top of the game take the idea of having one shape in a match seriously. At the very least there's a difference between shape in possession and shape out of possession. And then furthermore there might be a different shape for each phase of defending as you get worked deeper down the field.

Definitely all of that and it requires very intelligent players with tons of discipline at the top end of the game.

Maybe to be fair we should've done three teams with three different formations...

They can be variants like my initial one of a 4-4-2 which wasn't just straight lines!

4-3-3

4-4-2

3-5-2

Archived