talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Talk Football 365 All Time Starting XI

football forum

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This next one will be a little different. For this next Category, ALL TIME Centre Backs, nominate a pair of who you think are the best two CB's of all time. 

I will nominate Franco Baresi and Gaetano Scirea 

Just now, SirBalon said:

Come one mate...  Anyone not voting Paolo Maldini in that position has to have something wrong with them.

Italy will lose out anywhere else other than defence though.

This . Best defenders the world has seen, but on the attacking side not so much.

7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

This next one will be a little different. For this next Category, ALL TIME Centre Backs, nominate a pair of who you think are the best two CB's of all time. 

I will nominate Franco Baresi and Gaetano Scirea 

Scirea is a great call and I would agree with you but I have to go with Puyol partnering Franco Baresi.  In a Gazzetta dello Sport poll last year the greatest two centrbacks were voted on and both Baresi and Puyol came out winners by a massive margin.

My back three will be...

• Franco Baresi
  • Carles Puyol
  • Paolo Maldini

To think that because of the blasted back three chosen for the formation I have to leave out Beckenbauer and Lahm... Sacrilege!

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Personally can think of 10 CB's off the top of my head better than Cannavaro. nonetheless it's your choice mate. 

Idk - I surely can't. Scirea  is a solid call, as would Beckenbauer, but there aren't many.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Scirea is a great call and I would agree with you but I have to go with Puyol partnering Franco Baresi.  In a Gazzetta dello Sport poll last year the greatest two centrbacks were voted on and both Baresi and Puyol came out winners by a massive margin.

My back three will be...

• Franco Baresi
  • Carles Puyol
  • Paolo Maldini

To think that because of the blasted back three chosen for the formation I have to leave out Beckenbauer and Lahm... Sacrilege!

what? 

It's a back 4. Lahm can still be your RB. 

• Administrator

Cannavaro alongside Carles Puyol for me. 

If I was a bit older I think I would have remembered seeing Lothar Matthaus a lot more but I only really remember him towards the end of his career. I wish I could pick Desailly and Jaap Stam but perhaps they can go on the subs bench. 

2 minutes ago, StanLCFC said:

what? 

It's a back 4. Lahm can still be your RB. 

I thought we'd chosen a back three with four in the middle and three up front... O.o

• Philipp Lahm
  • Franco Baresi
  • Carles Puyol
  • Paolo Maldini

Just a short quip on LB. I would have picked Maldini, too, but no mention of Ashley Cole. He was a grade A cunt, but there was a time when he was truly world-class. And unlike Carlos, Cole could defend. I believe that Cole doesn't get the credit he deserves because of his off the field activities.

Anyways, moving on to CBs, and not to derail this thread. From the ones I have seen, I have always held Nesta in high esteem. Alan Hansen, only seen the archived matches, but lots of them, and he was sheer class. 

So for me Nesta and Hansen

Just now, IgnisExcubitor said:

Just a short quip on LB. I would have picked Maldini, too, but no mention of Ashley Cole. He was a grade A cunt, but there was a time when he was truly world-class. And unlike Carlos, Cole could defend. I believe that Cole doesn't get the credit he deserves because of his off the field activities.

Anyways, moving on to CBs, and not to derail this thread. From the ones I have seen, I have always held Nesta in high esteem. Alan Hansen, only seen the archived matches, but lots of them, and he was sheer class. 

So for me Nesta and Hansen

I almost picked Nesta, but went with Cannavaro

1 minute ago, ATL said:

Idk - I surely can't. Scirea  is a solid call, as would Beckenbauer, but there aren't many.

Scirea, Santamaria, Passarella, Figueroa, Moore, Beckenbauer, Nesta, Puyol, Gentile, Desailley

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

My back three will be...

• Franco Baresi
  • Carles Puyol
  • Paolo Maldini

I've heard INCREDIBLE stories of Scirea from my father, how he was even better at marking his attackers and reading the game than Baresi. From videos as well he was phenomenal. 

Baresi (3)

Cannavaro (2)

Puyol (2)

Scirea (1

Nesta (1)

Hansen (1) 

4 minutes ago, Fusion said:

Can we vote for Maldini as CB too? If not, Nesta.

Too young, haven't seen much of Baresi compared to others.

Paolo Maldini has been voted for the best ever LB slot. Unless you are speaking of Cesare Maldini. 

Choose one more mate. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Paolo Maldini has been voted for the best ever LB slot. Unless you are speaking of Cesare Maldini. 

Choose one more mate. 

Was talking about Paulo Maldini again.

Jaap Stam the 2nd CB for me.

32 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Scirea, Santamaria, Passarella, Figueroa, Moore, Beckenbauer, Nesta, Puyol, Gentile, Desailley

I've heard INCREDIBLE stories of Scirea from my father, how he was even better at marking his attackers and reading the game than Baresi. From videos as well he was phenomenal. 

Baresi (3)

Cannavaro (2)

Puyol (2)

Scirea (1

Nesta (1)

Hansen (1) 

I lived the Scirea period...  He was tremendous and his death was a disaster.  I remember the fathers of my Italian friends in my childhood really going through mourning.  That's how big it was!

The vote for Gaetano Scirea is as good as any.

Im 20 and didn't watch football much until my early teens and haven't watched that many historical matches, so I'm not going to pretend I watched Baresi, and as I understand it the idea is to vote based on what we have seen. I accept that, based on what I've read, Baresi is probably the best CB ever - but I've never watched him so thats why he isn't here. Same reason why I wasn't going to say Ruud Krol at LB and why I picked Neuer over Buffon, Schmeichel or Kahn. (for all those acting as if he's historically insignificant, he has pretty much been the best in Europe ever since he hit his peak and single-handedly kept Germany in the world cup against Algeria in 2014 - you know, the one they went on to win. De Gea has't acheived half of what he has).

And I'm not going to say Cruyff or Maradona later on, either.

Anyway: I'd pick Puyol and Nesta as my pair.

Archived