talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Catalonia and Independence

football forum

It's getting to the point now where it appears the Spanish Government have full on lost their shit.  It's widely reported here that they've been actively suppressing democracy, allegations of taking down internet content, ballots being withheld and talk of police deployments to suppress the vote. Are we in China? No we're in the EU 👏🏻

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

It's getting to the point now where it appears the Spanish Government have full on lost their shit.  It's widely reported here that they've been actively suppressing democracy, allegations of taking down internet content, ballots being withheld and talk of police deployments to suppress the vote. Are we in China? No we're in the EU 👏🏻

I have no idea where you may have formulated your opinion or via which medium you access news in this particular detail mate.

The referendum is anti constitutional. The constitution Catalonia signed to decades back as did everyone else and the one everybody adheres to.

What I’m saying is that it’s ilegal.

I personally believe that the referendum should be held but for that to happen legaly, the constitution must be amended.

What freedom doesn’t Catalonia have?

38 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I have no idea where you may have formulated your opinion or via which medium you access news in this particular detail mate.

The referendum is anti constitutional. The constitution Catalonia signed to decades back as did everyone else and the one everybody adheres to.

I personally believe that the referendum should be held but for that to happen legaly, the constitution must be amended.

The same "freedom" the UK lacked apparently under the slave owners of the EU

42 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Can it be amended regarding the referendum? Most Constitutions do not tolerate secession and are immutable regarding the territory of the State. 

And even if it was amended, all Spain should take part the referendum in my opinion, as every spanish would be affected. 

https://davidjimenezblog.com/2013/09/13/catalonia-is-not-tibet/

4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Lol I'm just pulling a few legs with "Freedom" in the title. In reality I'm neutral on Catalonian independence but I disagree with Madrid tampering and actively seeking to coerce a response from its population. Whether the referendum is binding or not is another conversation, I'm just adverse to a government seeking to force a result in a democratic voting process, it's very poor. Madrid should have just pointed out it's not valid and the result will change nothing and let it run its course, by meddling they've legitimised Catalonian grievances with Madrid and increased the tension considerably. The EU comment is also to get a few bites, partly because of the similarities between the Spanish Government's behaviour and that of the EU any time they get a result they don't like.  It's worked see Cark who literally rejoices in being a cuckolded thrall of Brussels beauracracy, having a nibble.  

7 hours ago, El_Loco said:

Can it be amended regarding the referendum? Most Constitutions do not tolerate secession and are immutable regarding the territory of the State. 

And even if it was amended, all Spain should take part the referendum in my opinion, as every spanish would be affected. 

https://davidjimenezblog.com/2013/09/13/catalonia-is-not-tibet/

Politically Spain is a mess at this moment in time as you well might know mate.  We had two general elections because nobody could decide who should be in power and then we have the main party opposition that has lost its identity and gone mental...  They don't know who or what they are!  Other parties that are growing down the line like 'Podemos' would turn Spain into the biggest joke state in the world.  Imagine not just having very vocal vociferous intellectuals in your universities...  Image they had a democratic opportunity to run the country!!! xD  What a mess!

Some Catalans have been very intelligent in choosing Spain's most politically shambolic period in its contemporary history.  They KNOW that its anti-constitutional and they always knew it couldn't be done.  But all the hooh-hah will open up the eyes of people around the world that had never heard the word Catalonia before...  People that maybe thought Barcelona was in Andalusia or maybe a town in Ibiza.

As for everyone taking place in the referendum...  Mate!  If the Catalan referendum is made constitutionally legal, a few other parts of Spain wouldn't take all that long to ask for theirs.

2 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Lol I'm just pulling a few legs with "Freedom" in the title. In reality I'm neutral on Catalonian independence but I disagree with Madrid tampering and actively seeking to coerce a response from its population. Whether the referendum is binding or not is another conversation, I'm just adverse to a government seeking to force a result in a democratic voting process, it's very poor. Madrid should have just pointed out it's not valid and the result will change nothing and let it run its course, by meddling they've legitimised Catalonian grievances with Madrid and increased the tension considerably. The EU comment is also to get a few bites, partly because of the similarities between the Spanish Government's behaviour and that of the EU any time they get a result they don't like.  It's worked see Cark who literally rejoices in being a cuckolded thrall of Brussels beauracracy, having a nibble.  

If you let a formal legal autonomous government run a referendum they believe should be ethically valid because it's a democratic process even if it is anti-constitutional, a constitution your autonomy helped write up.  Then whatever the hypothetical result comes out with would only serve to cause more strife.  It is either made legal so it can be done with rules set on its eventual outcome or it's not legal and it's not permitted.  Why have a result cause more issues when the result isn't valid?

But I agree with you...  It should've been permitted even if it wasn't valid.  It should've actually been permitted four years ago when they first wanted to do it because many things were different then.

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

I was on mobile

I don't login on an actual computer mate, its mobile only 90-95% of the time. 

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Politically Spain is a mess at this moment in time as you well might know mate.  We had two general elections because nobody could decide who should be in power and then we have the main party opposition that has lost its identity and gone mental...  They don't know who or what they are!  Other parties that are growing down the line like 'Podemos' would turn Spain into the biggest joke state in the world.  Imagine not just having very vocal vociferous intellectuals in your universities...  Image they had a democratic opportunity to run the country!!! xD  What a mess!

Some Catalans have been very intelligent in choosing Spain's most politically shambolic period in its contemporary history.  They KNOW that its anti-constitutional and they always knew it couldn't be done.  But all the hooh-hah will open up the eyes of people around the world that had never heard the word Catalonia before...  People that maybe thought Barcelona was in Andalusia or maybe a town in Ibiza.

As for everyone taking place in the referendum...  Mate!  If the Catalan referendum is made constitutionally legal, a few other parts of Spain wouldn't take all that long to ask for theirs.

If you let a formal legal autonomous government run a referendum they believe should be ethically valid because it's a democratic process even if it is anti-constitutional, a constitution your autonomy helped write up.  Then whatever the hypothetical result comes out with would only serve to cause more strife.  It is either made legal so it can be done with rules set on its eventual outcome or it's not legal and it's not permitted.  Why have a result cause more issues when the result isn't valid?

But I agree with you...  It should've been permitted even if it wasn't valid.  It should've actually been permitted four years ago when they first wanted to do it because many things were different then.

Agreed but let's face it Catalonia we're never going to be permitted a referendum by Madrid is it really. 

4 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I don't login on an actual computer mate, its mobile only 90-95% of the time. 

Agreed but let's face it Catalonia we're never going to be permitted a referendum by Madrid is it really. 

It's not about Madrid mate as it isn't about London where the Scottish independence movement is concerned.  It's about a set of rules, call them a constitution or whatever you want.  Those rules are signed up for by everyone and then there's consensus based on many factors ranging from history to present economic, territorial and ethical factors.  Madrid as an autonomous region has no power to give any rights concerning the breaking of the rules...  It's a parliamentary issue and as @El_Loco touched upon, it's a national issue and one the whole nation has to subscribe to.  Before the constitution can be amended, there should be a democratic process involving the nation and whether or not that amendment should take place because it would be good for the country as a whole...  Obviously that's where it would break down because a region such as Catalunya separating from the Kingdom of Spain would be detrimental to the country's future and then enter the future respective autonomous regions with growing dissent demanding the same thing.

"I do not know of a posture more naive, and furthermore stupid, than to bury the head in the sand and maintain, as some have maintained, that Catalonia does not have a language of its own, that it does not have customs of its own, that it does not have a history of its own, that it has nothing at all. Were this the case, then naturally there would not be the issue of [Catalan separatism], and we would not have to bother attempting to study or resolve it. Yet this is not what is happening, gentlemen, and all of us know this very well. Catalonia exists with all of its individuality, and many regions in Spain exist with all their individuality, and if we want to know what Spain is; if we want to provide Spain with a structure, we have to work with what Spain offers in reality. It is exactly the denial [of this reality] on top of the aforementioned ineptitude that places the problem in the least favourable terrain for those who pretend to defend the unity of Spain. For if we persist in denying that Catalonia and other regions have chararacteristics of their own, it is because we tacitly recognise that it is through these characteristics that the nation is defined. As a result of this, we lose this dispute when it is proven, as can easily be proven, that many peoples in Spain have their own characteristics."

Just now, SirBalon said:

Aaah ok! I get it now... 

There's been various mass demonstrations in call for unity in Spain today I've been told.

Dunno. Didn't care to attend to the flag-parties (I don't like the Spanish flag anyways).  I would just want to make a case for the virtues of legal positivism so out of vogue in these troubled times in opposition to the sleazy ways of "Putsch"-demont, even in this dark corner of the internet.

1 hour ago, Kowabunga said:

Dunno. Didn't care to attend to the flag-parties (I don't like the Spanish flag anyways).  I would just want to make a case for the virtues of legal positivism so out of vogue in these troubled times in opposition to the sleazy ways of "Putsch"-demont, even in this dark corner of the internet.

Would you say that the push for Catalan independence could spur the Republican movement? 

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Would you say that the push for Catalan independence could spur the Republican movement? 

As in becoming a more pressing issue in the already republican-ist parliamentary left? Maybe. But it will also spur reactive nationalism, deeply entrenched with monarchism. Maybe even Vox actually getting seats. 

On 9/30/2017 at 10:30 AM, SirBalon said:

all this hassle is all for naught ........

even if 100% voted for independence the Spanish Government will not accept it.     I wonder why would the catalonias go to such lengths even if they know that it will not go favourably for them.

Archived