talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Will Roy Hodgson finish the season as Crystal Palace manager?

football forum

football forum

A 5-0 defeat in his first game and a 4-0 defeat in his second, will England's greatest ever manager finish the season in charge of the Eagles?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

The games against Utd and City and the next against Chelsea are write offs as there's no way he'd have been expected to win them given the form of those sides and terrible form his side are in. Against Southampton was the best chance to grab points so far. 

Probably will have the season to do what he can as his contract is only til summer anyway? Will cost too much maybe to sack him and the potential embarrassment of sacking 2 managers in a season maybe too much to bear for the fans and/or chairman. 

Well like someone else said he wasn't expected to win these games. I think when these 3 games are over palace might feel more confident. I do feel sometimes the fixtures aren't done as fair as they could. Seems a bit harsh to make a team play 3 tops sides one after the other.

On 30/09/2017 at 6:56 PM, Cannabis said:

A 5-0 defeat in his first game and a 4-0 defeat in his second, will England's greatest ever manager finish the season in charge of the Eagles?

I love how you didn't name the opposition we played to try and create a talking point. Smooth.

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I love how you didn't name the opposition we played to try and create a talking point. Smooth.

also, wasn't his first game against Southampton?

1 hour ago, HoneyNUFC said:

If they get dicked by Chelsea it would be more worrying because Chelsea have a small dick in comparison to the Manchester clubs.

They're going to be after blood following the City defeat.

Our best hope is Newcastle get a pleasing score draw in their next fixture. That will be the game to target to begin our season. 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

I don't think he will see the season end. Yes, Palace have played City and United in Hodgson's opening games but heavy defeats will have had some effect and if they're still struggling in February, I can see him getting sacked. 

The manner in the defeats has been concerning. Against City once we let in one the intensity and commitment went from being pleasing to non existent whilst against United there were players shying from the ball, not tracking back and not making forward runs to help players which is just unforgivable.

For us to survive they need to remember is just two wins away from being off bottom. The only fixture youd say was a guaranteed mist win we've played was Swansea at home. Huddersfield first game is never easy, Burnley away is a tough ground, and we've met four of the top six. This is not a crisis as long as the players remain mentally focused.

3 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

They're going to be after blood following the City defeat.

Our best hope is Newcastle get a pleasing score draw in their next fixture. That will be the game to target to begin our season. 

The international break should soften some of the blood thirst of Chelsea I would have thought. Nearly their entire team will be away focusing on something else for the next 10 days.

We are away at Southampton before we play you. They are under a bit of pressure to get a win.

1 hour ago, Aaroncpfc said:

The manner in the defeats has been concerning. Against City once we let in one the intensity and commitment went from being pleasing to non existent whilst against United there were players shying from the ball, not tracking back and not making forward runs to help players which is just unforgivable.

For us to survive they need to remember is just two wins away from being off bottom. The only fixture youd say was a guaranteed mist win we've played was Swansea at home. Huddersfield first game is never easy, Burnley away is a tough ground, and we've met four of the top six. This is not a crisis as long as the players remain mentally focused.

I see some parallels to McLaren's Newcastle a couple of years back. Started out losing a lot of games, with a terrible run of fixtures playing a significant role in that. But its very difficult to stop the rot once it sets in. If Hodgson presides over another 4 scoreless losses I could see it as fairl realistic they would replace him before Christmas in time to give a new salvage man manager a chance to have a say in the January window.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that though.

In fairness, Palace's fixture list isn't terrible. Granted they have Chelsea post-International break but after that it's Newcastle, West Ham, Tottenham, Everton, Stoke and then Brighton. Spurs at Wembley should be a defeat but the rest are games in which Palace could realistically gain some points from. However, if they struggle to get anything from West Ham, Stoke and Brighton especially, I can't see Hodgson staying for much longer. 

36 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

In fairness, Palace's fixture list isn't terrible. Granted they have Chelsea post-International break but after that it's Newcastle, West Ham, Tottenham, Everton, Stoke and then Brighton. Spurs at Wembley should be a defeat but the rest are games in which Palace could realistically gain some points from. However, if they struggle to get anything from West Ham, Stoke and Brighton especially, I can't see Hodgson staying for much longer. 

After Brighton it's quite comfy up until Christmas. Youd like to think we looked at the fixtures at the beginning of the season and targetted certain periods of the season, however we did sack somebody after four games.

• 1 year later...

Goals are their major problem. They’ve scored 11 in the league and only Huddersfield have scored less. 

The lack of fitness and firepower amongst their strikers is damning. Christian Benteke has 0 goals from 4 appearances, Alexander Sorloth has 0 from 11, Jordan Ayew has 0 from 9 and Connor Wickham has 0 from 1. 

I needed reminding how laughable some of the posts were when De Boer was sacked for Hodgson. Definitely the "That didn't age well' thread of 2017.

I don't see how Roy is to blame for any of this. People were chanting at him yesterday to make a sub, but who does he bring on? Sorloth is gangly and tries but is rubbish, Ayew is little and tries but is rubbish, Schlupp is quick and tries but is rubbish, Kaikai and Williams are high quality league one players.

The bigger issue here is recruitment. Our starting eleven is a good one, but the second string wouldn't survive in The Championship. There are so many factors to blame for this. A lack of continuity with managers has caused the likes of Kelly to constantly bypass his contract expiring, a crap academy since Simon Jordan was forced out has led to no players coming through to pressure the starting eleven, and the clear poor judgement from Dougie Freedman in terms of judging a players quality. I cannot even remember the names of some of the players this so called excellent judge of talent signed in January.

The striker issue is a real problem as it's evident were creating chances that are not being converted. The players we've been linked with I don't believe will sort any problems. We're going to be really kicking ourselves for not selling Sorloth for a profit (lol) this summer. Hopefully the Benteke to China dream hasn't sunk. I don't get the obsession with signing a target man anyway as technically gifted forwards seem to be the future. 

3 hours ago, Cannabis said:

I couldn't even name you Palace's striker that's how shite they are up top. Totally forgot about that Sorloth lad who was crap at his last club (Cardiff was it?). Such AIDS. 

Mad how Allardyce was in talks to take Cenk Tosun to Palace when he was managing there but brought him to Goodison instead when he joined us, he would have been a very good signing for you lot.

Surprisingly it was Alan Pardew and his scouting network that had Cenk Tosun on radar. Or that's when the rumours started. Lookman was on our radar too.

I think you have Sorloth confused with Corneillius (sp?) Who are both tall lanky blondes that don't seem to be capable of doing anything. So that's forgivable 

On 08/12/2018 at 17:09, Cannabis said:

One win in eleven now I believe, could he be gone as early as Christmas if this continues?

I think he's earned the opportunity to turn this round.

It's difficulty to tell if he's being stubborn or the second team are really bad. Either Roy goes or the whole recruitment system needs a complete overhaul. I mean Jordan Ayew. What was that about.

We really can't afford to go down. Our second team looks so bad I reckon we will drop again.

I get the board couldn't predict that four once first team starters would get serious injuries but the lack of continuity on their part is the reason why we still have the likes of Martin Kelly and Jonny Williams in our squad.

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Wilfried Zaha: FA charge Crystal Palace forward with improper conduct

_105420740_zaha_getty.jpg

Wilfried Zaha sarcastically applauded referee Andre Marriner after receiving a red card

Crystal Palace forward Wilfried Zaha has been charged with improper conduct by the Football Association following his side's 1-1 draw at Southampton.

The charge follows Zaha's sarcastic applause of referee Andre Marriner after being dismissed in the 87th minute at St Mary's.

The Ivory Coast international, 26, had opened the scoring for the visitors before James Ward-Prowse equalised.

He has until 18:00 GMT on 5 February 2019 to respond to the charge.

Archived