talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Catalonian XI

football forum

They could gain independence and still have one of the best teams in the world xD Obviously there'll be people who know more about how a potential team may look like, but gave one a go below

Lopez

Bellerin - Bartra - Pique - Alba

Thiago - Fabregas - Busquets - Roberto -  Iniesta

Pedro

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Danny said:

They could gain independence and still have one of the best teams in the world xD Obviously there'll be people who know more about how a potential team may look like, but gave one a go below

Lopez

Pedro

Andrés Iniesta isn't Catalan and is infact from the most Spanish region of them all, Castilla La Mancha, home of Don Quixote...  Those that fight Windmills that are imaginary dragons.  He has eternally been grateful to Catalunya for everything that they have been given and counts himself as a part Catalan.  But make no doubt that Iniesta is 100% "Castellano".

But even so, you could make a couple of very competitive Catalan XIs to be honest without Iniesta.

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Andrés Iniesta isn't Catalan and is infact from the most Spanish region of them all, Castilla La Mancha, home of Don Quixote...  Those that fight Windmills that are imaginary dragons.  He has eternally been grateful to Catalunya for everything that they have been given and counts himself as a part Catalan.  But make no doubt that Iniesta is 100% "Castellano".

But even so, you could make a couple of very competitive Catalan XIs to be honest without Iniesta.

Now you say that I've read something similar before, but I assume he could still play for a Catalonia side due to the age he started playing for Barce?

Just now, Danny said:

Now you say that I've read something similar before, but I assume he could still play for a Catalonia side due to the age he started playing for Barce?

He could indeed and has played for the Catalan regional side around Christmas time a couple of times as do other regions like Galicia and Euskadi (Basque region).  He done it as a thank you as he's said various times.

Under the pretence of him being eligible for them, then yes, but I guarantee you he wouldn't play for Catalonia over Spain, ever!

4 minutes ago, Danny said:

If a hypothetical Catalonia was ever formed and they then claimed the Paisos Catalans, then imagine what team could be formed because that would include the French Catalan region, the Balearic Islands of which Asensio is a native and the region of Valencia and Sardinia in Italy.  Take your pick from all that lot! :o

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

If a hypothetical Catalonia was ever formed and they then claimed the Paisos Catalans, then imagine what team could be formed because that would include the French Catalan region, the Balearic Islands of which Asensio is a native and the region of Valencia.  Take your pick from all that lot! :o

That would be career suicide for Asensio haha

1 minute ago, Danny said:

That would be career suicide for Asensio haha

He obviously wouldn't do it because that sentiment doesn't exist in those other regions with him seeing himself as very Spanish.  But, it still remains a hypothesis of the amount of talent that could be mustered.

4 hours ago, Danny said:

Lopez

Pedro

@SirBalon can confirm, but I think Thiago views himself as a "gallego".  I think he´d continue playing for Spain. 

Mazinho wanted him to play for our NT, but differently from Rafinha I believe he considers himself more as a spaniard than as a brazilian.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, El_Loco said:

@SirBalon can confirm, but I think Thiago views himself as a "gallego".  I think he´d continue playing for Spain. 

Mazinho wanted him to play for our NT, but differently from Rafinha I believe he considers himself more as a spaniard than as a brazilian.

What's a Gallego? 

Gallego means Galician, but South Americans use it to describe all Spaniards.

Iniesta and Thiago would be eligible, but they wouldn't play for them, unless Catalunya had gained independence years ago already, then that's likely where Thiago would have played. Messi would be eligible as well, but he'd obviously stick with playing for Argentina.

5 hours ago, El_Loco said:

Thiago would play for whoever guaranteed him the bigger chance at winning trophies. He doesn't have an allegiance to any country that lad.

If Catalunya had gained independence around the time he was coming through Barcelona's system, then I think he would have chosen Catalunya, for the same reasons he chose Spain. In fact, under those circumstances, he may not have even been eligible for Spain since he wouldn't have technically ever played for a Spanish team, but a Catalan one.

33 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Iniesta and Thiago would be eligible, but they wouldn't play for them, unless Catalunya had gained independence years ago already, then that's likely where Thiago would have played. Messi would be eligible as well, but he'd obviously stick with playing for Argentina.

Thiago would play for whoever guaranteed him the bigger chance at winning trophies. He doesn't have an allegiance to any country that lad.

If Catalunya had gained independence around the time he was coming through Barcelona's system, then I think he would have chosen Catalunya, for the same reasons he chose Spain. In fact, under those circumstances, he may not have even been eligible for Spain since he wouldn't have technically ever played for a Spanish team, but a Catalan one.

Not South Americans, only us do that. :D

6 hours ago, El_Loco said:

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Thiago does actually consider himself Gallego (Galician)...  He's mentioned it on various occasions.  As for Rafinha, he feels Brazilian and why he chose Brazil.

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Thiago does actually consider himself Gallego (Galician)...  He's mentioned it on various occasions.  As for Rafinha, he feels Brazilian and why he chose Brazil.

Rafinha is as Brazilian as they come. He is lost without Alves and Neymar.

Speaking of Rafinha, he has been forgotten about lately due to injuries, but when he was getting chances he offered a lot and scored goals as well, not to mention his season for Celta on loan. Unfortunately, it looks like he is going to be out for even longer now according to reports.

6 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Rafinha is as Brazilian as they come. He is lost without Alves and Neymar.

Speaking of Rafinha, he has been forgotten about lately due to injuries, but when he was getting chances he offered a lot and scored goals as well, not to mention his season for Celta on loan. Unfortunately, it looks like he is going to be out for even longer now according to reports.

Yeah, don't know what's going on there with some injuries...  They seem to be taking forever.

45 minutes ago, Spike said:

Pedro isn't Catalan either. He is from Tenerife

As it stands, Catalunya has a strong side in terms of players who are eligible such as Messi, Pedro, Iniesta and Thiago given that all could play for their national teams and catalunya. But that would all change if they gained independence and these players would continue playing for Spain(or Argentina in Messi's case, who has never actually made an appearance for Catalunya surprisingly, although could do) and not represent the catalans. It wouldn't be a great side to be honest, not like they were about 7 years ago when players like Valdes, Puyol and Xavi were in their pomp. In this case, I reckon Basque country have a better side myself in terms of Spanish regions forming a team.

Kepa

De Marcos -- Iñigo -- Laporte -- Balenziaga

Herrera -- Illarramendi

Raul Garcia

Muniain --------- Iñaki

Aduriz

Also plenty of depth as well.

Had they not already played for their national teams then obviously Griezmann, Azpilicueta, Llorente and Javi Martinez would have been eligible, as they are today. I added Raul Garcia, as I think he'd choose Pais Vasco myself since he doesn't get a look in for Spain. Also Laporte hasn't been called up by France yet meaning he would be available.

If the 2 played tomorrow(as they are now), it would make for a good friendly to be honest if everyone eligible played, since you can represent both them and your country as it is today.

Kepa

De Marcos -- Iñigo -- Laporte -- Azpilicueta

Herrera -- Illarramendi

Raul Garcia

Iñaki --------- Griezmann

Aduriz

Vs

Messi

Pedro ------------ Iniesta

Thiago - Busquets - Roberto

Alba -- Pique -- Barta -- Bellerin

Pau Lopez

Pedro has never appeared for the Catalonia team so think it is safe to say he'd settle with Spain.

In reality it'd look more like this

Krkic -Sergio Garcia - Deulofeu

Alba - Roberto - Busquets - Vidal

Fontas - Pique - Bartra

Casilla

I'b be surprised by people like Fabregas because they seem like the types to not really care about this sort of thing. @SirBalon even said it himself, Catalonia is full of immigrants so even if they are Catalonia doesn't mean they are Catalan...

2 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

The reason @El_Loco must call them it then is due to how much he wants to be an Argentine

Here in Peru we are only familiar with Catalans, the Basque and Castillans (if that's what they are called). We only refer to them as "españoles".

Archived