talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man Utd Looking To Expand Old Trafford To 88000

Manchester United officials are looking at ways to expand the capacity of Old Trafford to 88,000.

The proposed increase of more than 12,000 seats from the present capacity of 75,643 would be achieved by extending the Sir Bobby Charlton Stand, formerly known as the South Stand.

Old Trafford is already the largest club stadium in Britain, but this would almost take it onto a par with Wembley Stadium, which holds 90,000 spectators.

It would also see Old Trafford's capacity overtake the San Siro, Bernabeu, Stade de France and Westfalenstadion on the continent.

United are giving strong consideration to the long-term expansion plans because a new section for disabled fans - expected to be completed by 2020 - would lead to a reduction in capacity to around 73,300.

Previously, the railway line at the back of the Sir Bobby Charlton Stand meant expanding it would require a costly tunnel and the demolition of a number of houses.

However, advances in stadium technology mean this may no longer be a problem and 7,500 more seats could be added.

United would then look at adding quadrants in the two corners of the stand to raise the capacity to 88,000, meaning the ground would be behind only Barcelona's Nou Camp (99,354) and Wembley in Europe.

A safe-standing area may also feature in the development with United fans in favour of the concept, which would require a change in the current legislation for stadiums.

It comes as United are set to appoint full-time ticket tout officers to clamp down on the black market sale of thousands of tickets. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4943592/Manchester-United-looking-Old-Trafford-expansion-plans.html#ixzz4uRPuEQDi

Man Utd is a 50,000 fan club at best, the rest are glory hunter addons. Discuss :ph34r:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I read this bit you can probably understand why they need the extra room... but when I think about it don't they already have 75.643 seats allocated for the disabled.. :ph34r:

United are giving strong consideration to the long-term expansion plans because a new section for disabled fans

• Administrator

fantastic stadium to be honest when I went there last year. The tour there is amazing as when it was empty it had the same atmosphere as when I went for a match :ph34r: 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

fantastic stadium to be honest when I went there last year. The tour there is amazing as when it was empty it had the same atmosphere as when I went for a match :ph34r: 

Are you not confusing that with a tour around the Emitrates?? 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Are you not confusing that with a tour around the Emitrates?? 

that was funny cos an empty stadium creating more sound than a full stadium in this instance. 

Think about just how many tourists go to see matches though, it's the same thing at yankee stadium or Madison Square Garden, always going to the foreigners flocking to a knicks game no matter how bad just because it's the knicks.

16 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Good for them, a club with ambition. Unlike Liverpool piddling around with increases nowhere enough to make the most of themselves.

It isn't a proper Man Utd thread till someone takes a dig at Liverpool xD

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Good for them, a club with ambition. Unlike Liverpool piddling around with increases nowhere enough to make the most of themselves.

They are increasing by about 12000 seats. We increased by about 12000 seats xD:ph34r:

7 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think kel once said they had the highest attendance in England when they were in the second division

Like Happy Blue banging on about Man City's one off game high attendance English record.

Every club in England today is around the same average attendance level as their historical peak except for Man Utd who have blitzed that. We all know why and it isn't because of a population boom in Salford.

All major clubs should have a minimum of 70,000 capacity for me...  All of those that I know under that have immense waiting lists for season tickets all over Europe.  For me that's where Juventus made their big mistake even though the stadium is very nice.  Atlético Madrid for example have their new Wanda Metropolitano at 70,000 with easy access for expansion.  They've cleared some of the backlog on fans waiting for season tickets and even then there's still a considerable waiting list due to leaving space for football tourists.  Barça and Real's renovation of their respective stadiums due to start very soon will be expanded even further!

Arsenal for example have major issues on their waiting lists for season tickets due to the fact when we moved to The Emirates the larger sized stadium had most of that extra space for fans mainly filled by corporate seats and wandering football tourists at expensive prices.  The stadium size was way too small but also has easy access to expand.

Man Utd will fill that 88,000 and more!

The Victorians created football clubs as representative of the local community. Not a single club has a catchment area of 70,000 weekly fans in this country.

It is different in many European countries where they simply don't have the number of strong local clubs like in England and Scotland.

Anyone who can top 70k weekly here is built on gloryhunting fraud and the destruction of the Victorian values of the game.

Like how Man Utd have coach travel to their home games from every town and city in Yorkshire, Lancashire and the East Midlands. Even from places like Hull where it is obvious that it isn't mancunians who moved to Hull for jobs and are coming back.

Arsenal are another club walking the line of being a completely fraudulent fan base. They are definitely over their limit. However they are partly inflated by middle class European migrants in London who move to Clapham and think the local club is Arsenal.

1 minute ago, HoneyNUFC said:

The Victorians created football clubs as representative of the local community. Not a single club has a catchment area of 70,000 weekly fans in this country.

It is different in many European countries where they simply don't have the number of strong local clubs like in England and Scotland.

Anyone who can top 70k weekly here is built on gloryhunting fraud and the destruction of the Victorian values of the game.

Like how Man Utd have coach travel to their home games from every town and city in Yorkshire, Lancashire and the East Midlands. Even from places like Hull where it is obvious that it isn't mancunians who moved to Hull for jobs and are coming back.

Arsenal are another club walking the line of being a completely fraudulent fan base. They are definitely over their limit. However they are partly inflated by middle class European migrants in London who move to Clapham and think the local club is Arsenal.

How many posts have I written on the loss of local identity by clubs...  It's over and it ain't coming back at least for the major clubs around Europe.  Massive clubs have to source cash and status where huge stadiums have a big part to play in all of that.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

How many posts have I written on the loss of local identity by clubs...  It's over and it ain't coming back at least for the major clubs around Europe.  Massive clubs have to source cash and status where huge stadiums have a big part to play in all of that.

It's not over if we introduce a 100% tax on all revenue over £200m :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

It's not over if we introduce a 100% tax on all revenue over £200m :ph34r:

I agree...  One of the ways would be to tax these things but which government taxes the majorly rich?

The fact lies mate, that these "super clubs" can fill these stadiums and it's a major part of their revenue and status.

17 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I agree...  One of the ways would be to tax these things but which government taxes the majorly rich?

The fact lies mate, that these "super clubs" can fill these stadiums and it's a major part of their revenue and status.

There's enough income from prize money and tv money to simply withhold it from those clubs.

A more pragmatic approach than a tax would be say the wealthiest club cannot earn more than 2 or 2.5 times that of the poorest club. 

If you go back to the 50s when gate receipts were the only revenue, a team that got 50,000 fans a week was making double that of a team on 25,000. Yet Wolverhampton Wanderers and Burnley won the league.

Now you have Arsenal with 60,000 fans a week generating 4 times that of a team with half the fanbase. Is it any wonder you can call yourself shit and yet still finish above those clubs.

47 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

There's enough income from prize money and tv money to simply withhold it from those clubs.

A more pragmatic approach than a tax would be say the wealthiest club cannot earn more than 2 or 2.5 times that of the poorest club. 

If you go back to the 50s when gate receipts were the only revenue, a team that got 50,000 fans a week was making double that of a team on 25,000. Yet Wolverhampton Wanderers and Burnley won the league.

Now you have Arsenal with 60,000 fans a week generating 4 times that of a team with half the fanbase. Is it any wonder you can call yourself shit and yet still finish above those clubs.

There's so many ways to look at it all it's mind-blowing.  People have all sorts of reasons and ways so as to bring back some equilibrium to the game but it's very hard apart from the fact nobody powerful enough would ever attack such organisations because that's what they are now.  The "super club" is no longer just a football club as you well know.

I've mentioned it various times since I joined you lot some years back in that I myself have witnessed Arsenal FC turn from a very local club involved in many local issues to a multinational enterprise that is a monster.  All that without the part that counts!  I've written about a multitude of anecdotes like being a kid, running down Highbury Hill to be let in by the gate steward to watch the second half for free, like me there were many others.

4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

All major clubs should have a minimum of 70,000 capacity for me...  All of those that I know under that have immense waiting lists for season tickets all over Europe.  For me that's where Juventus made their big mistake even though the stadium is very nice.  Atlético Madrid for example have their new Wanda Metropolitano at 70,000 with easy access for expansion.  They've cleared some of the backlog on fans waiting for season tickets and even then there's still a considerable waiting list due to leaving space for football tourists.  Barça and Real's renovation of their respective stadiums due to start very soon will be expanded even further!

Arsenal for example have major issues on their waiting lists for season tickets due to the fact when we moved to The Emirates the larger sized stadium had most of that extra space for fans mainly filled by corporate seats and wandering football tourists at expensive prices.  The stadium size was way too small but also has easy access to expand.

Man Utd will fill that 88,000 and more!

Juvenuts are the second biggest team in Torino :farmer:

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Juvenuts are the second biggest team in Torino :farmer:

hahaha....  They may be the second biggest team in Turin, but they're by far the most supported in their city.  Juve grabs the support from the rest of Italy while Torino are the city's favourite sons.

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

hahaha....  They may be the second biggest team in Turin, but they're by far the most supported in their city.  Juve grabs the support from the rest of Italy while Torino are the city's favourite sons.

I think Juve was smart by not building a stadium that relies on out-of-city tourists. They can artificially inflate ticket prices and gouge their fans more...

8 minutes ago, Spike said:

I think Juve was smart by not building a stadium that relies on out-of-city tourists. They can artificially inflate ticket prices and gouge their fans more...

True, but they're missing the plot!  They're a fabricated football club to large extents and not the organic clubs for example AC Milan and Inter have been historically (although they're now going dow everyone's route)...  They should've cashed in with their status because they're an authentic brandname and they're never gong to be a Torino (a mega version) no matter how hard they try.

Archived