talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Top 3

Just now, Happy Blue said:

Last season we wasn't the best team in the world ;)

You were the "best team in the World" since the day you were bought. Also you reminded us every season of that fact, then you were schooled by a team that was 8th after 7 games. 

Oh and struggled to end in the top 4 :$

:coffee:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, True Blue said:

You were the "best team in the World" since the day you were bought. Also you reminded us every season of that fact, then you were schooled by a team that was 8th after 7 games. 

Oh and struggled to end in the top 4 :$

:coffee:

Lie's  ..we have only been the best in the world since buying these new players and destroying Real Madrid with them :coffee:

• Subscriber

Liverpool have an unreliable defence, Spurs have unreliable home form and Arsenal are just unreliable by nature. Similar accusations can't really be aimed at Chelsea or the Manchester clubs so I'd say in terms of the title they are the 'top 3' contenders for this season.

However, people love to argue about 'top whatever'. Last season there were dozens of mentions about whether there was a top 6 or a top 7 including Everton. There was the Big Four years ago before City and Spurs crashed the party, it's all meaningless really, people trying to separate clubs based on some being apparently a different class to others. Which top 3, top 4, top 7 were Leicester in when they won the title?

In conclusion, yes there are probably three main contenders for the title this season but labelling it "the top three" is trying to suggest some new world order that those three teams will be dominant in the long run which is beyond what anyone can sensibly suggest with any confidence is the case.

On 04/10/2017 at 11:42 PM, RandoEFC said:

Liverpool have an unreliable defence, Spurs have unreliable home form and Arsenal are just unreliable by nature. Similar accusations can't really be aimed at Chelsea or the Manchester clubs so I'd say in terms of the title they are the 'top 3' contenders for this season.

However, people love to argue about 'top whatever'. Last season there were dozens of mentions about whether there was a top 6 or a top 7 including Everton. There was the Big Four years ago before City and Spurs crashed the party, it's all meaningless really, people trying to separate clubs based on some being apparently a different class to others. Which top 3, top 4, top 7 were Leicester in when they won the title?

In conclusion, yes there are probably three main contenders for the title this season but labelling it "the top three" is trying to suggest some new world order that those three teams will be dominant in the long run which is beyond what anyone can sensibly suggest with any confidence is the case.

Using the top 6 as a term was a marketing tool, I mean I guess all the top 3, 4, 6/7 is but never moreso than when we had a top 6. The quality of the top teams in the Prem was just saturated with average to above average players, no one was good enough to constantly run away with the title and no one was good enough to constantly compete for it. So the top 6 was used to sell how "competitive" the league was, because apparently anyone could win it. It's the same trick they use to market the Championship, most clubs are at similar levels of quality and because the league in general is a division below the Prem they have to market how "great" the unpredictability of it is. But in terms of what teams can spend the Championship is generally competitive, you get good teams and good football for the price they're put together for.

However you were not getting good teams at the top of the Prem for the prices they were being put together for, the quality dipped and the league became saturated. Only now is it becoming competitive again. I think that's where our obsession for a "top 4" etc comes from, that was what the strength of the Premier League was built on, it's main marketing tool. There used to be a legitimate top 4, to the point no one ever believed it'd be broken. The top 4 signalled world class players and clubs a cut above the rest, so when the quality dipped and more clubs came into the fray media threw out the top 6 to make them sound better than they were and everyone bought into it.

You beat them in a friendly and Barcelona beat you 4.0 and they had virtually guaranteed top spot when you played them at home. And they won the group by six points

1 hour ago, Happy Blue said:

The Real Madrid we beat 4-1 a few weeks ago or the Barcalona we beat 3-1 last season with a much weaker team than we have now?? :coffee:

Lol, since when does pre season count for anything!? xD 

32 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

You beat them in a friendly and Barcelona beat you 4.0 and they had virtually guaranteed top spot when you played them at home. And they won the group by six points

Yep, we would wipe the floor with both of them at the moment

At the moment it looks like the top 2 with 4 teams then behind them but it's still early in the season. Still time for Mourinho to have a break down over a loss and blame multiple players to cover his ass with it resulting in everything going pear shaped.

Anyone who has nailed their nuts to the top two being the Manchester clubs come the end of the season are hugging foolishness far too tightly.

City started off last season exactly as they have this and there is no evidence this season they have ironed out the problems they find for themselves over the season.

United have not played anyone in the top half and their fans should brace themselves for huge disappointment. While they have improved I would rate them as no better than the 4th best team we have seen this season so far.

The above two clubs must hope Chelsea are not removed from the CL early. The extra fixtures have already hit Chelsea hard once, but they have produced the best performance from the English clubs. Any weakness shown by City over the season I believe will be exploited by Chelsea more than any other club.

I would not rule Tottenham out either. While the Wembley factor could not have come at a worse time, they are a bloody good team.

46 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Anyone who has nailed their nuts to the top two being the Manchester clubs come the end of the season are hugging foolishness far too tightly.

City started off last season exactly as they have this and there is no evidence this season they have ironed out the problems they find for themselves over the season.

United have not played anyone in the top half and their fans should brace themselves for huge disappointment. While they have improved I would rate them as no better than the 4th best team we have seen this season so far.

The above two clubs must hope Chelsea are not removed from the CL early. The extra fixtures have already hit Chelsea hard once, but they have produced the best performance from the English clubs. Any weakness shown by City over the season I believe will be exploited by Chelsea more than any other club.

I would not rule Tottenham out either. While the Wembley factor could not have come at a worse time, they are a bloody good team.

The two Manchester teams have an advantage others in the division don't have which is a mass choice of players that are capable of competing at the top level.  Even though this can backfire and has in the recent past, it also has its obvious benefits as was seen with Real Madrid last season where their mediocre first half to the season was boosted football wise by the rotations made by Zidane in the second half.  Mourinho (as long as the players believe in him) knows how to motivate his teams for the long run and keep them in contention for competitions while Guardiola is in his second season getting his team to play the way he wants it to and even though they started the season in a similar vein last year, this year there's a particular difference in their confidence when they step out to play...  It doesn't look like an experiment anymore where within 90 minutes there'd be highs and lows.  Now if they play well, the game is uniform all the way through and if they're matched or outplayed, then that's football and you can get beat because there are various teams in Europe that can compete against them.

Chelsea have the best coach in my view in terms of tactical awareness and motivational skills.  He matches the present Mourinho where motivation is concerned and for me Conte is more diverse in his tactics because even though he believes in one particular format, he can diversify that belief to play in various ways without the rival having anything to do with his reasons for his decisions within a game.  He reads the moments to perfection as was seen at the Wanda Metropolitano (Atlético Madrid).

Spurs for me are thin!  Thin in the sense that they can compete against almost anyone but if they lose it wouldn't be a major surprise making headlines all over the place.

10 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

Well that's not true is it, we now have 3 top class fullbacks instead of old men and a keeper that can save a shot and have only conceded 2 goals this season, last season we won our first 10 games but Bravo was letting them in at an alarming rate but we scored enough to win. this season we are hammering teams AND keeping clean sheets, already beat Chelsea and Liverpool and have also improved the squad from last season, the players have adapted more to Peps way of playing and we do look a much stronger team than at the same point last season  ..united, i'm not so sure about, 5th to 1st will be a massive jump and they haven't played anyone yet too, can see us destroying them in both games which gives us a 6pt leg up on them too

1 minute ago, Happy Blue said:

Well that's not true is it, we now have 3 top class fullbacks instead of old men and a keeper that can save a shot and have only conceded 2 goals this season, last season we won our first 10 games but Bravo was letting them in at an alarming rate but we scored enough to win. this season we are hammering teams AND keeping clean sheets, already beat Chelsea and Liverpool and have also improved the squad from last season, the players have adapted more to Peps way of playing and we do look a much stronger team than at the same point last season  ..united, i'm not so sure about, 5th to 1st will be a massive jump and they haven't played anyone yet too

Read what I said... You did exactly the same last season. You dont look any better than that start last season. You are asking us to believe the new players will have more heart than those last season for the whole season. For me, you earn that belief by actually doing what is required and until your mob prove that to me, they are no different than last season.

Your posts for your club are full of wind n piss. Wouldnt you like some real proof to hang your Nuts on? Wait, enjoy the season and if your guys come through, then give the bullshit you are full of out to the public. I for one will praise any club who win this wonderful league of ours, including City.

8 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Read what I said... You did exactly the same last season. You dont look any better than that start last season. You are asking us to believe the new players will have more heart than those last season for the whole season. For me, you earn that belief by actually doing what is required and until your mob prove that to me, they are no different than last season.

Your posts for your club are full of wind n piss. Wouldnt you like some real proof to hang your Nuts on? Wait, enjoy the season and if your guys come through, then give the bullshit you are full of out to the public. I for one will praise any club who win this wonderful league of ours, including City.

xD :rofl:

Look at the depth, take that in for a minute

Ederson - Bravo - Gunn

Walker - Kompany - Stones - Mendy - Danilo - Otamendi - Mangala - Delph

De Bruyne - Gundogan - Silva - Bernardo - Fernandinho - Yaya - Diaz - Foden - Zinchenko

Sterling - Aguero - Sane - Jesus

I know you are winding a lot hb but you do say the same thing every season. It's not just about players it's about how they gel amoung other things. Personally I think you will win the league but I wouldn't want to call it this season

Archived