talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cuisines

football forum

• Subscriber

That makes sense, as spaghetti meatballs is a creation of Italian emigrants. If you order spaghetti and meatballs in Italy or in an authentic Italian restaurant, you will be served two separate dishes though. That said, if it tastes good, who cares.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nudge said:

That makes sense, as spaghetti meatballs is a creation of Italian emigrants. If you order spaghetti and meatballs in Italy or in an authentic Italian restaurant, you will be served two separate dishes though. That said, if it tastes good, who cares.

Its served separately in my case but they are still eaten together in the meal. Pretty uncommon in Australia tbh where every single Australian family has Spaghetti Bolognese on fortnightly rotation and thinks that's what all Italians eat every day. 

The most common way these guys have pasta is plain tomato. If there is meat its in a separate dish.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Harry said:

Its served separately in my case but they are still eaten together in the meal. Pretty uncommon in Australia tbh where every single Australian family has Spaghetti Bolognese on fortnightly rotation and thinks that's what all Italians eat every day. 

The most common way these guys have pasta is plain tomato. If there is meat its in a separate dish.

Hehe there are indeed a lot of misconceptions about food traditions... Spaghetti Bolognese is not even authentic Italian either, despite most of the world thinking it is the most Italian dish ever after pizza; it's simply a love child of spaghetti and a bastardised version of ragu alla bolognese .

Different pasta sorts are commonly paired with different sauces and condiments. Long flat pasta like tagliatelle or fettuccine are often eaten with thick, creamy, rich (meat) sauces, while long thin pasta like spaghetti or capellini goes best with light ones such as tomato and basil or garlic and olive oil. Short tube pasta like penne or rigatoni are very versatile and work with pretty much everything. Then there are of course plenty of regional differences, like in any other cuisine.

I love it how passionate Italians are about their food and the "right" way to prepare it xD Personally, I don't care that much about authenticity itself; it's all about fresh ingredients of the best available quality and pairing things that work well together. My favourite pasta dish of all time is penne alla puttanesca, even if the smell can be rather overwhelming at times xD 

• 3 months later...
16 minutes ago, nudge said:

Ragu is meat-based though, isn't it. What Americans call "Alfredo sauce" is pretty much just cream, parmesan and butter.

Never really heard it being primarily called Bolognese until I moved to the states. 

Love a spag bowl, however much that will make an Italian cringe.

Dont go as far into it as Harry mentioned mind, but mince, onions, carrots, courgette (zucchini) with general bolognese sauce and some wine or a bit of lea and perrins chucked in.

What I would recommend for the pasta to stop it being dry and shit is after boiling pour some oil and lea and Perrins in and mix it up.

Tried making a hollandaise sauce for the first time recently with asparagus and potatoes. I read a few different How-To articles and tried being careful with the melted butter but ultimately I fucked it up and ended up with vinegary scrambled egg. 

It was still tasty as a topping though, it's just the texture was completely wrong. 

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
4 hours ago, nudge said:

Discovered a new Indian/Pakistani restaurant in my area, and just had an amazing Keema Matar and a few samosas. Absolutely magnificent.

what kind of samosas did you have? I love lamb samosas. Bit of spice and usually have it with finely cut potatoes and peas inside too. 

As well as the taste, the other great thing about them is you can have them nice and crispy fresh out the pan. And also cold if there's any left over the next morning :x  

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

what kind of samosas did you have? I love lamb samosas. Bit of spice and usually have it with finely cut potatoes and peas inside too. 

As well as the taste, the other great thing about them is you can have them nice and crispy fresh out the pan. And also cold if there's any left over the next morning :x  

I had chicken samosas with shredded chicken and some tomatoes and onion, medium spicy :) This was the first time I ordered from them, and I'm genuinely surprised at how good it all was! And yeah, I just finished off my leftovers :D 

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Stan said:

haha I presume you shall be ordering from there again then!

Chicken samosas are decent though :D 

Oh for sure, there was another Indian place I used to go to every once in a while, but a few months ago the quality went down while the prices skyrocketed. The last drop was ordering a delivery and they didn't include any sides, no rice, no naan, nothing. Haha. So I'm really happy I found this place now, tastes much better than the previous one, too. I'm a bit reluctant to order anything with lamb though, as good lamb meat is normally quite hard to find here, so I'm not sure the quality would be that great...especially since they seem to be using mutton, not lamb.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Potato samosas preferrably. Also absolutely love Naan bread. 

A side of Samosas, Naan, and chicken tiki masala with batsmati rice, and a large bottled coke. 

Probably my favorite all time meal. 

ever tried anything more adventurous, for lack of a better word? Can you eat spicy food?

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Oh for sure, there was another Indian place I used to go to every once in a while, but a few months ago the quality went down while the prices skyrocketed. The last drop was ordering a delivery and they didn't include any sides, no rice, no naan, nothing. Haha. So I'm really happy I found this place now, tastes much better than the previous one, too. I'm a bit reluctant to order anything with lamb though, as good lamb meat is normally quite hard to find here, so I'm not sure the quality would be that great...especially since they seem to be using mutton, not lamb.

Ah that's rubbish. That's happened so many times round here. Change of management or the business starts performing worse than it used to and standards drop. 

I can't eat lamb any more either as it seems to not sit right with my body. last few times I've had it i've had stomach problems. Mutton can be good for some dishes, like keema or if it's minced. For normal dishes where it's cubes or chunks, lamb is better.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

ever tried anything more adventurous, for lack of a better word? Can you eat spicy food?

Ah that's rubbish. That's happened so many times round here. Change of management or the business starts performing worse than it used to and standards drop. 

I can't eat lamb any more either as it seems to not sit right with my body. last few times I've had it i've had stomach problems. Mutton can be good for some dishes, like keema or if it's minced. For normal dishes where it's cubes or chunks, lamb is better.

Yeah, I had lamb shanks here before, prepared by easily the best cook I've ever met in my entire life, and it was quite disappointing as the meat quality was poor... so I'm really reluctant to even try it somewhere else, and just stick to chicken, beef or pork, depending on where I'm eating.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Yeah, I had lamb shanks here before, prepared by easily the best cook I've ever met in my entire life, and it was quite disappointing as the meat quality was poor... so I'm really reluctant to even try it somewhere else, and just stick to chicken, beef or pork, depending on where I'm eating.

you need some of the food how my mum makes it ;) 

Baja style Mexican food is fucking phenomenal. Hands down one of the best things about the move to San Diego is the quality Mexican food all over the city and county.

Persian food is great - nothing beats some good tadig with some good stew. With some quality kabobs.

Texas style BBQ is so fucking good.

Seafood, all sorts of seafood.

• 4 weeks later...

Tried traditional Danish food for the first time. Some homecooked hakkebøf med bløde løg - it's basically like a minced-beef patty that you cook like a steak, so it's crispy on the outside and rare on the inside, and you serve it with slow-cooked onions, potatoes and normally some pickle too. I was at someone's house for dinner and tbh I wasn't expecting to be that good but it was actually very nice, I think I'll try cooking it myself.

hakkeboef-med-bloede-loeg-og-brun-sovs-o

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Inverted said:

Tried traditional Danish food for the first time. Some homecooked hakkebøf med bløde løg - it's basically like a minced-beef patty that you cook like a steak, so it's crispy on the outside and rare on the inside, and you serve it with slow-cooked onions, potatoes and normally some pickle too. I was at someone's house for dinner and tbh I wasn't expecting to be that good but it was actually very nice, I think I'll try cooking it myself.

hakkeboef-med-bloede-loeg-og-brun-sovs-o

That's very nice, but while I absolutely love a rare steak, I probably wouldn't risk it with a rare minced beef patty, unless I absolutely knew where the meat comes from and how it was handled all the way through to my plate, i.e. only fresh mince from the butcher's. That's one of the things I miss here.

Danish cuisine is soooo underrated though.

Archived