• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cuisines

football forum

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MUFC said:

This will sound stupid. Have eaten so many good dishes from around the world. But why does a good fish and chops beat everything?

Never seen the appeal of fish and chops but love a good fish and chips! 

• Subscriber

I love a good fish and chips as well but it doesn't beat everything for me :) Our favourite foods are often our favourites because we associate them with certain emotions, experiences and memories of happiness.

• Subscriber

Chicken & fish meals I could eat all the time, the best fish meal I have ever tasted was when we were living down Southend-on-Sea in Essex, there was a fish & chip shop where I was working and many a time I would buy for lunch some rock eel in batter with chips, that was going back to the late '90s since I have had some rock eel and you can't get it here in Scotland, I have looked everywhere for rock eel but with no joy. 

On 18/11/2019 at 11:24, CaaC (John) said:

I had no breakfast so I thought I would have a brunch, burger on a seeded roll with Scottish cheddar cheese on top.  :P

20191118_110620.jpg.207b81f04a3097fdf1bd21cb2123cfed.jpg 

John, is that a Rustlers burger you've pinged in the microwave for a minute on the Cuisine thread? xD

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Lucas said:

John, is that a Rustlers burger you've pinged in the microwave for a minute on the Cuisine thread? xD

Sure is buddy, you get 3 for a fiver at Tesco's and I love them, I am having a Cheese Burger after thanks to you, you made me hungry. xD 

20191122_085127.jpg.a082aaf83d4ed0475a8620b569d9e43f.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Subscriber

Had Rasam for the first time today, as I didn't know what it was so decided to try it when ordering some Indian food for delivery tonight. It is phenomenal! Why has nobody told me about it before? @Stan @Mel81x are there anything else similar to it taste-wise that I should try?

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, nudge said:

Had Rasam for the first time today, as I didn't know what it was so decided to try it when ordering some Indian food for delivery tonight. It is phenomenal! Why has nobody told me about it before? @Stan @Mel81x are there anything else similar to it taste-wise that I should try?

It's mainly a South Indian dish I think - I think I may have only had it once? Or probably had variations of it but called something else. But it's pretty much like any other dhal but runnier - mainly had with rice or 'idli'. Don't have idli on its own though - it's flavourless and bland so has to be had with some kind of soup or dhal. 

@Mel81x is likely to have had it more than myself!

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

It's mainly a South Indian dish I think - I think I may have only had it once? Or probably had variations of it but called something else. But it's pretty much like any other dhal but runnier - mainly had with rice or 'idli'. Don't have idli on its own though - it's flavourless and bland so has to be had with some kind of soup or dhal. 

No no it was completely different from any other dhal I ever had! In fact, it didn't even contain dhal, for that matter 😅 Just quite a spicy & sour soup with a lot of aromatic spices and a very strong tamarind flavour profile. So so good!

Had a bit of an easy mix the other day, pasta aglio oli with some seasoned chicken (grounded pepper, smoked paprika, salt, oregano). Was genuinely nice and the chicken played off nicely against the pasta which was essentially just cooked in oil, garlic and lemon.

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, nudge said:

It's a staple here and it varies from state to state. My personal favorite, if you can find it anywhere else, is Tamilian Rasam ... mindblowing is the only word that I can think of. Other things you might want to try if you like Rasam a lot are 

• Sambar - This is one of the many food holy grails of south indian cuisine. Everyone has a preference and some like it mildly sweet, some like it super sour, some do vegetables differently but imo they all taste good. You can also make it at home if you can find the ingredients which i think you will find out there.
  • Gundpowder (Just a name) - It's a powdery mix of spices that is eaten with idlis or dosas and mixed with ghee. It's delicious in small quantities and i'd recommend visiting an Andhra-style website/restaurant to try it out
  • Ghee - On the surface this sounds very basic but there are so many nice varieties and its very very good for your skin. Mix this with rice and some variant of spice mix and it turns into a delicacy

Also, you can make Rasam at home too if you want because the recipe is based on mixes and spices which are easily available across most of south-east asia. My personal favorite is Vada with Sambar/Chicken-Curry (Pulusu in Telengana), its simple and very tasty.

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Stan said:

Do you prefer an idli to a dosa? 

• 4 months later...

Archived